Surfers Poker - Poker Forum

Surfers Poker - Poker Forum (http://www.surferspoker.com/index.php)
-   Texas Holdem Tournament Hands (http://www.surferspoker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   A Set on a Wet Board (http://www.surferspoker.com/showthread.php?t=105718)

Black_mamba 03-13-2017 07:27 PM

A Set on a Wet Board

Okay, This is my second at the table. 10k starting stack. No reads yet.

Blinds 30/60

Action:

UTG opens to 180

BB also calls

I'm UTG+2 (7c7s) call. I'm assuming the opener has a tight range considering his position

Flop: 10d 8s 7d

Action: Opener Checks?? ( I was surprised by this) Given the board texture

Now have to decide what to do with bottom Set. I just can't see checking as a good option on such a wet board This broad might hit the BB as well.

I decide to go for a bigger bet of 750. (Given Texture)

The BB thinks and bets 3750

UTG moves ALL- IN

What's the play here? I mean the opener could have 10's etc.

There are a bunch of draws out there as well. BB's action is also pending.

DrJustice 03-28-2017 11:03 AM

Somehow i didnt saw this thread.

It would be nice to determine a little more stuff.
Is it live or online?

The context of the game if it is live means also something. Was it a bar game or a serious live game.

The hardest part is ranging people on a hand.

Willtakem 03-28-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_mamba (Post 784338)
Okay, This is my second at the table. 10k starting stack. No reads yet.

Blinds 30/60

Action:

UTG opens to 180

BB also calls

I'm UTG+2 (7c7s) call. I'm assuming the opener has a tight range considering his position

Flop: 10d 8s 7d

Action: Opener Checks?? ( I was surprised by this) Given the board texture

Now have to decide what to do with bottom Set. I just can't see checking as a good option on such a wet board This broad might hit the BB as well.

I decide to go for a bigger bet of 750. (Given Texture)

The BB thinks and bets 3750

UTG moves ALL- IN

What's the play here? I mean the opener could have 10's etc.

There are a bunch of draws out there as well. BB's action is also pending.

as the J man said, lots to consider.. could be a squeeze to get you out. with a bet and 2 raises it would seem that there is a better made hand than yours or one helluva draw. now the decision, don't know any dynamics about the table, are these guys nits, loose or whatever, has a lot to do with are you continuing or not. your set looks a little weak here unless these guys are just loose cannons. but depending on what BB does.still being old and a nit I probably fold here and wait for better situation..

char 03-29-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willtakem (Post 784361)
as the J man said, lots to consider.. could be a squeeze to get you out. with a bet and 2 raises it would seem that there is a better made hand than yours or one helluva draw. now the decision, don't know any dynamics about the table, are these guys nits, loose or whatever, has a lot to do with are you continuing or not. your set looks a little weak here unless these guys are just loose cannons. but depending on what BB does.still being old and a nit I probably fold here and wait for better situation..

i call here prolly tobehonest inless the the squeezey guy is a nit even then i might call tbh

Willtakem 03-31-2017 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by char (Post 784362)
i call here prolly tobehonest inless the the squeezey guy is a nit even then i might call tbh

always an option, like I said, I'm a nit...

Black_mamba 03-31-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJustice (Post 784360)
Somehow i didnt saw this thread.

It would be nice to determine a little more stuff.
Is it live or online?

The context of the game if it is live means also something. Was it a bar game or a serious live game.

The hardest part is ranging people on a hand.

This was Online.. Doesn't seem like I noted I had no reads was only my second hand. I guess I did say that.

Black_mamba 04-01-2017 04:59 PM

I time banked the crap out of this one. The thing that made it hard was the FIR player snap shoved when it came back to them.

DrJustice 04-04-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_mamba (Post 784367)
This was Online.. Doesn't seem like I noted I had no reads was only my second hand. I guess I did say that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_mamba (Post 784371)
I time banked the crap out of this one. The thing that made it hard was the FIR player snap shoved when it came back to them.

I got the part about it being the second hand at the table.

In a nutshell w a flopped bottom set vs possible hands opponents play like this. We have to range the hands that people would play like this on a board.
UTG AdKd, 88+,
BB AdKd, Xx9x, XdXd.

So in a nutshell there is no shame in folding, although i like the option of calling this and get a 500BB stack or be busted. The oppertunity is just too good to let pass.
My only real consideration why folding would be an option is if the buyin is high enough to realize that the odds aren't in our favour. And even then it's a true consideration if we think we don't have an edge on the field.

Black_mamba 04-07-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJustice (Post 784374)
I got the part about it being the second hand at the table.

In a nutshell w a flopped bottom set vs possible hands opponents play like this. We have to range the hands that people would play like this on a board.
UTG AdKd, 88+,
BB AdKd, Xx9x, XdXd.

So in a nutshell there is no shame in folding, although i like the option of calling this and get a 500BB stack or be busted. The oppertunity is just too good to let pass.
My only real consideration why folding would be an option is if the buyin is high enough to realize that the odds aren't in our favour. And even then it's a true consideration if we think we don't have an edge on the field.

I agree with all of this. I posted the hand because I thought it was a fun spot.