Surfers Poker, Poker Forum

Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Blogs and Poker Entertainment > Poker Blogs
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Silver Supernova Staker - Verified
Sharkfin Winner

Staker Points: 3554.68
TPS: 7174.85
Plays at : PokerStars
Fav. Online Player : Rizen
Fav. Pro : Bill Fillmaff
FF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of Poker
Send a message via AIM to FF_Barret Send a message via MSN to FF_Barret Send a message via Yahoo to FF_Barret Send a message via Skype™ to FF_Barret

Well, today's the big day.

At 14:00 I play my largest MTT ever, the $256 6max KO FTOPS.

I've almost got my BAS sold out for it, just 18 more shares. Please go buy the rest of that up

I'm pretty excited, but before I play this and stuff I need to grind some DoN's on stars. I only have 284 VPPs right now on there..I need to get to around 375 or so today, so the grind stars now!

Nothing really much else to put, I'll probably update this tonight or tomorrow on how I did.
Please Check FF_Barret's Randomness #2 Blog!!
Last Updated:March 2nd
Looking For Detailed Poker Help?
Go to "Poker Strategy and Tips" for my in depth Poker Guides!
PM me or message me on aim/yim/skype when i'm available for surfer/poker help.
-FF_Barret

Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

FF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of PokerFF_Barret Godlike Genius of Poker
Send a message via AIM to FF_Barret Send a message via MSN to FF_Barret Send a message via Yahoo to FF_Barret Send a message via Skype™ to FF_Barret

Well, I did end up cashing that FTOPS. Got 275th out of about 4411 people for $556.99 or so. Not bad

Bust hand was really gay, lost AK<K9 to a guy who ended up getting 3rd in the whole thing. Lucky stiff. Would have had about 21 bb's and right back in it and coulda made a wholeeee lot of money. Oh well, thats donkaments for you.

I've been killing SnGs today. Played 16 $10.40s earlier and cashed 10 of them for about $34 profit..then decided to take a step up just for a little bit and play some $20.80 Double or Nothings..I've never really played any at those levels even though I've played probably around 1,000 of these DoN's by now..

Was thinking of how many to play and I settled on 11. Not too many that I'm getting nervous about money, not too short that I can't make any money, but my winrate didn't have to be too bad. I knew I'd at least win 5 because winning 4/11 is practically impossible when 50% wins..So I figured I'd at least win 5 and then only lose like $20-30..if I win 6 which I've been killing DoN's lately so 6/11 shouldn't be too hard.

Well, I ended up winning 9 of them. I was on fire. I was always getting my money in ahead and I was just about always holding. I had about one or two unlucky hands but other than that I won just about every 70/30 and even a few races..good stuff. I knew it'd be a good session when this happened:

Dealt to YahooPool [Ad Ac]
BEANMASTER: folds
Nole91: folds
YahooPool: raises 40 to 60
19pic!!: folds
mjb1214: folds
VvoxX: folds
CashHoyt: folds
smurbat: calls 50
doctorricho: folds
*** FLOP *** [7s Tc 8c]
smurbat: bets 140
YahooPool: raises 280 to 420
smurbat: raises 280 to 700
YahooPool: raises 740 to 1440 and is all-in
smurbat: calls 700 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (40) returned to YahooPool
*** TURN *** [7s Tc 8c] [As]
*** RIVER *** [7s Tc 8c As] [6c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
smurbat: shows [4d Kh] (high card Ace)
YahooPool: shows [Ad Ac] (three of a kind, Aces)
YahooPool collected 2940 from pot

Hilarious.

So $131.20 profit from that session alone.

I cashed out my remaining $300 on FTP leaving me with like $38 or so there. I'm going to likely BAS my next FTOPS event, the $129 6max KO this Sunday. If I play it, expect a BAS thread this thursday. If you want to reserve shares now, I'll reserve you up to 5 shares via PM before the BAS thread is up. After that, if you want more, you'll have to buy them legitamately.

I haven't updated the surfers point thread in awhile, but I tell you what. If you bump the thread right now and post your favorite song, I'll give you a free point and when I make this week's thread tomorrow or wednesday you'll already be off on the right foot.

So lets check bankrolls:

Money cashed out since our two big paydays: $405

Money invested right now - $105~

FTP Roll - $38~ that'll just sit there this week probably
Stars Roll - $2,607
FPPs - 6,025
VPPs - 417
VPPs needed to be on pace for silver - 482

So I'm a little bit behind on silverstar..I've been playing a lot of SnGs lately so hopefully some DoN's and stuff will put me back in it. I might need to play cash tables a few days just to get myself back in it and get myself ahead of pace so I'm not rushed. I figured I'd be playing more games now that I had a big bankroll but I don't want to push myself too hard right now. I'll get there, it'll just take some work. I can do it though.

I keep ****ing forgetting to play the Silver Freeroll. It's pissing me off so much.

Thanks for listening, until next time

-FF_Barret
-FF_Barret

Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Haven't posted here in awhile. Been a pretty boring few days.

Weather has been abysmal here. Constant rain and sleet and a little bit of snow. It's so annoying! I cannot wait for spring to come..

Anyways, Poker has been actually going surprisingly good. I've been back to grinding Double or Nothings and it's been going very well. I've decided to move up to the $20.80s part-time but still playing the $10.40s to warm-up or if I'm not feeling up to par or if I start running bad.

These $20.80s are so f'ing bad though. The players are so unbelievably terrible. I haven't put in too many games of them so far, just like 35 of them, but it's been pretty easy.

I'm behind pace for Silver since I barely played yesterday but I've played a little today (already hit my day's quota) and I plan on playing more so I should be able to catch up a little bit.

My BAS is up and we still have tonight, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning/afternoon to sell it out. It's about half-way sold. Hopefully I don't have to buy any more of it out. I doubt I will since it's already half-way sold and we still have a few days left.

I'm going to be gone all Saturday because it's an anniversary with Ms.Barret..Gonna do a bunch of fun stuff and I'll be back on Saturday night to play some MTTs maybe.

I'm sooooo looking forward to finally cashing the Sunday Million. I've played it three times now.

First one, I barely played at all and busted an hour and a half in..

Second one, I barely played but then chipped up a little bit but then eventually busted about 2.5 hours in.

Third one I played it pretty well but busted about 3 hours in about 1k from the money.

I played the $215 WCOOP Warm-up that one sunday morning a few months ago and played it very well but eventually lost a race 22<QJ for a pretty decent stack 3 hours in..

I can't wait to play this and I'm sure I'm going to do very very well in it since I've felt so confident about my MTT game the last few weeks. Hopefully I can do well in it.

Also got that $129 KO 6max FTOPS to play too, so if I don't ship the Million I can do well in the FTOPS at least..Second cash?

Bankroll check:

FTP hasn't changed.

Stars Roll - $2,621
VPPs - 565
VPPs needed to be on pace for silver - 642

I have $200 staked out right now, $100 in NightTrain still and $100 in Pigzorz to run some SnGs for me..both should do really good.

I also have like at least 30-50$ of my stars roll, maybe more, of people investing in my Sunday BAS.

I'm gonna play some more SnGs so I should get another 50 or so VPPs if not more by the nights end. So I might not be right back on pace tonight, but in a few days maybe I can be.

Thats it for this time, I'll update this Saturday night or Sunday morning. Maybe tomorrow if something exciting happens (doubt it).

Thanks guys.
-FF_Barret

Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

I still proclaim I've run like absolute dog**** this whole year so far

I come back on tonight to run some more 45mans just to end my night

$6.50:

ealt to YahooPool [Js Ad]
stickerbushT: folds
Popolinosman: folds
sfakuma: folds
Zeltlike: folds
nellydog: raises 665 to 715 and is all-in
the1502: folds
YahooPool: raises 735 to 1450 and is all-in
javaman4: folds
Uncalled bet (735) returned to YahooPool
*** FLOP *** [3s 6d 5c]
*** TURN *** [3s 6d 5c] [Td]
*** RIVER *** [3s 6d 5c Td] [8d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
YahooPool: shows [Js Ad] (high card Ace)
nellydog: shows [3h Ah] (a pair of Threes)
nellydog collected 1480 from pot

went on to lose JT<AK as a shortstack

$12 at the same time:

Lost it QQ<KT flop came like TT2 or something afskl;jadfs

Lets try HU to win some back..I'll play a $11.50 if I win i'm done for the night

Dealt to YahooPool [Kh Ks]
adabj: calls 10
adabj: calls 40
*** FLOP *** [Td 8s Jc]
YahooPool: bets 100
adabj: raises 100 to 200
YahooPool: raises 1210 to 1410 and is all-in
adabj: calls 1210
*** TURN *** [Td 8s Jc] [Ts]
*** RIVER *** [Td 8s Jc Ts] [Js]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
YahooPool: shows [Kh Ks] (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
adabj: shows [Jh 3c] (a full house, Jacks full of Tens)
adabj collected 2940 from pot

Oh yeah I forgot I run like ****ing **** all day long at heads up no wonder

lets try a $23

Dealt to YahooPool [Kd Ac]
beans00101: raises 260 to 320
YahooPool: raises 1420 to 1740 and is all-in
beans00101: calls 940 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (480) returned to YahooPool
*** FLOP *** [6d 2c 2d]
*** TURN *** [6d 2c 2d] [Jd]
*** RIVER *** [6d 2c 2d Jd] [3h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
beans00101: shows [7c 7d] (two pair, Sevens and Deuces)
YahooPool: shows [Kd Ac] (a pair of Deuces)
beans00101 collected 2520 from pot

oh yeah i run ****ing horribly at hu I forgot

lets try a $57.50 get all my losses back still end up with a win

Dealt to YahooPool [Ad As]
YahooPool: calls 50
southp1668: raises 1700 to 1800
YahooPool: calls 880 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (820) returned to southp1668
*** FLOP *** [Jc Tc 5d]
*** TURN *** [Jc Tc 5d] [4c]
*** RIVER *** [Jc Tc 5d 4c] [2h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
southp1668: shows [3s Ah] (a straight, Ace to Five)
YahooPool: shows [Ad As] (a pair of Aces)
southp1668 collected 1960 from pot

I f'ing hate you Pokerstars

I swear to god I've got to be the most unlucky heads up player in the history of poker, this **** has just been happening every SINGLE TIME i play heads up sngs there
-FF_Barret

Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well, I did it again..

108th in the $129 KO FTOPS for $910.19. I played really well and 7.5 hours in we lost AK<KT on a AKTTx.

I've been really busy with stuff tonight and I just don't feel like typing much out. I'm kind of exhausted.

Busted really early into the Million. I simply cannot cash that MTT. Meh, maybe next time.

Busted really really early in a $55 MTT that I shoulda done better on. Sold like 75% of myself out and eventually gave most of the stakeback cause I played it kind of poorly. Flopped set he turned flush and I couldn't give it up on the river. Meh.

Played the double deuce on FTP, I think I won like three hands after 2 hours. Eventually lost a race for a 8k stack at 100/200.

Played the Sunday 200k on stars and got like 2500th or so out of 30,000 players..yikes. Got like $30 in that. Whoopee.

Played a bunch of Sunday Warmup/Sunday Million satellites this morning too. Won a $58 4max satellite and a $8 rebuy but had like $155 in buy-ins in total..so my profit there was like $280..combined with my profits from the FTOPS and after making shipments and stuff was a profit of about $600 today for myself. Not terrible. Gonna cash out like $375 and keep a bunch on there..not too bad.

Lets go over bankrolls and I'm probably done for the night.

Pokerstars - $1983.33 + $149 T$ + $11 W$.
FTP - After withdrawing $375 just now I have $322.77

Also have around $200 staked out..so all in all $2654

I've cashed out like $800 since my big wins..still have a decent roll..weeee
-FF_Barret

Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

I've been pretty sporadic on my updates since my last update..there really hasn't been much to talk about so I'll keep this somewhat short. We'll see as I type how long this goes.

I've hardly played in the last few days..I've been pretty busy off and on so I'm going to try to get more games in.

My goal is to run 100 $6.50 18mans or at least 50-75 of them by the end of the month. So far I've ran 7 of them, cashing 3 of them (1,2,4) for a $40.90 profit so far. Not bad!

I ran a $16 18man just for fun yesterday but got unlucky and busted around 9th or 10th or so..I doubt I'll be running any of those any time soon. My new project is to get really really proficient at these and eventually build my roll a few hundred bucks and get a lot of games in and eventually be really really good at them and hit the $16 mark. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon though.

I want to learn SnGs again instead of turning back to cash tables, but grinding the 9mans get really tedious and the variance is wayyyy too high. I wish I could grind double or nothings but I just don't have that great of patience from them. Plus I don't get points for any Battle of the Planets.

Shimo got 42/6200+ or so for like $22 or whatever for me in a $2.20 mtt today. Nice profit on such a small stake. He's running a Sunday Million satellite for $2.20 and if he wins it I'm going to play the million for him..that'd be pretty sweet, gotta admit.

The SCOOP MTT series on Stars starts in early April..I'm going to put a list of what I hope to play in this next blog. I want to say I'll be BAS'ing these things early or at all but I honestly don't know if I am or not. I'm going to be VERY busy during that time and I'm not sure if I'll be able to play a lot of them. Might just have to wing them. We'll see.

Anyways, that's all for this time. Lets take a look at the bankroll:

Pokerstars - $2,121.82 + $11 W$. 7,150 FPPs; 1,167 VPPs on the month (I'm going to try to make Silver by this weekend) and 3,224 on the year. My goal is 20,000, which is 1666 per month. I hit like nearly 2,500 in January and I'm probably going to hit around 1600-1800 in February so that's still a pretty modest goal. Maybe 25k would be better.

FTP - $265.27

Lost a $11 18man and 45man and a sizable heads up match so thats why I'm down a little bit there.

I still have like $300 staked out once I ship dude my $84 or w/e. Lets hope NightTrain87 or dude or someone gives me a nice return or I'm going to be stuck a little bit. Total bankroll right now is around $2600.
-FF_Barret

Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

So I have a big update for you guys.

A guy posted on 2p2 that he was looking for someone to stake for low-stakes SnGs and stuff just for like a month or longer heeb or whatever. I gave him a PM and he messaged me on AIM a few hours later showing interest.

He was kind of skeptical but I gave him a reference of someone I knew that went to 2p2 and it turns out this guy knows my reference somewhat well. So when my guy told him "yeah he's good I guess" this guy's like "omfg barret i want to stake you"..lol, how lucky am i?

So after some discussion here's my staking deal:

$650 on Pokerstars to run the following games:

Any MTT up to around $27.50 though I'm going to be mostly just playing freezeouts around the $2-10 level as well as $3 rebuys. I doubt I'll be playing anything higher than $11 unless its a random $22 32k or $27.50 I feel like playing if the bankroll is doing well.

Most of my games on the stake and on Stars will come on SnGs though; I'll be playing:

$6.50 18mans
$6.50 45mans

At any time in the stake (when I feel my play is doing well and I want to move up or I just feel comfortable doing so) I can move up to the $12 45mans and add $12 180mans; while keeping the $6.50 18mans.

On FTP he shipped me $250 to run MTTs up to the $26 level but again majority if not all will just be around the $5.50-$11 mark.

I know that it's somewhat low for such a large heeb but he told me I'd be in contact with him on AIM so if I go on a downswing he'll just give me more money. This guy's a huge shark at like NL400 or something so he's apparently pretty loaded. This is awesome.

So basically my total roll is $900..He wants me to run the rest of February and most if not all of March and see how we stand. If I'm doing well he's going to give me more and have me move up in buy-ins if I haven't already done so. If not, we'll probably just keep grinding or we'll end it. This guy seems interested in me and has faith in me and I do too.

My plan is just run $6.50s a lot for february and some of march and if our bankroll's around $1200-1500 (hopefully I'll have hit a MTT score or grinded the SnGs well) take some 5-10 buy-in shots at the $12s..if it doesn't go well, we'll keep grinding then take some more shots. I'm pretty nitty about moving up to the $12s so we'll see.

As far as my own bankroll goes, I have like $2200 plus maybe $200 or so in stakes out. I'm going to I think withdraw enough in the next week or two that I have about $1500 online incase this stake doesn't go well and in April I go back to playing on my own dime. We'll see. Maybe at that point I'll just BAS my action and do a heeb here. We'll see.

This is an incredible opportunity and if I do well for this guy he's going to really put in a lot of money into me. I cannot wait to really get started. Time to grind!

Thanks for reading, as always
-FF_Barret

Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

I really don't have much to update I just feel somewhat compelled to keep this thing moving..

Well, haven't been playing really much at all lately. I played a few games on Sunday with little success, though I didn't lose much.

Our $900 stake is at $915 right now, doing alright at $6.50 18mans and 45mans with a few wins/cashes here or there, but getting ass-raped at the MTTs. I've got like two cashes and both were min-cashes so meant like nothing. So here's my idea:

Add NL25 back into the mix into this stake. Give it like a 2-4 buy-in shot. If I lose a few buy-ins I take it out until maybe way later on in the stake. If I do O.K but don't really win much or I lose like a buy-in or less over a decent sample I'm going to consider playing sessions, then at the end of the session take the win/lose amount and cut it in half. So if I play for 2 hours and end down $10 I'll only cost the stake $5. And if I win $30, I'll only count +$15. Should minimize variance.

I'm going to continue running $6.50 SnGs and MTTs when I can (mostly weekends though).

I recently shipped a good friend of mine $200 to run a long sng/mtt series over the next few weeks/months. He's a decent player and just needs some focus so $200 should do just that.

NightTrain87's BAS ends soon and I still have like $150 or so wrapped up in dude..so thats like $450 in stakes I have out at the moment, though nothing is going to be out for more than a month or so. We'll see.

Current bankroll right now is around $2400 of my own including investments though that's kind of pointless since 99% of my games are going to the stake right now. Really not much more to update about at the moment since I haven't played much. I plan on grinding tonight though

Post #67..crazzzzzzzzy.

Good updating this as always and thanks for reading. Here's a special shoutout to my favorite toy maker mrtoymaker for pwning 180mans and being a great friend as of late. Been a privalage to get to know you man.

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 02-28-2009, 03:42 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well, it's been an interesting day.

Ok, well, it hasn't been, but lets call it that.

This stake has been up and down since the start. I was break even for a few days then went on a nice run and was almost up to $1000..then lost about $75 or so..Then today, I decided to have a MTT night. Sounds good, right?

Well, busted out of my 7-8 MTTs like, instantly. 0 cashes. FML.

$2.25 FTP i suck at life and bust early
$3.30 KO turbo i suck at life and bust early
$3.30 turbo double stack i suck at life and busted early in second hour
$11 30k i busted on like the 5th hand QQ<KK
$5.50 Ante Up busted an hour in because I still have no idea how to play that mtt
$5.50 6max QQ<66 KK<66
$22 6max deepstacks KK<67 cause I can't fold

So I ran extremely bad and played just as bad. Pretty terrible.

So I go and play some $6.50 18mans and I finally decide to play real poker again. I cash 4/8 SnGs with two bubbles and profit quite a bit. I'm back in the green barely on the stake.

Tried a $12/180man but AK<AQ early..why wouldn't it? So I play a $11.50 heads up and I won on the first hand AK>AJ and I felt better again.

So whats the moral of the story?

Hell if I know. Stop playing MTTs when you know you shouldn't and just grind f'ing SnGs. I don't know why I can't do anything in MTTs lately. I'm on like an 0/20 cash streak. Rarely happens to me, but oh well. It'll come around.

I'm gonna go eat some pizza and go out with a friend in a little bit. I'm feeling alright since I'm break even on the day pretty much thanks to those 18mans. I'm pretty good at them I decided. Read my 18man strat thread in the strat forums.

Thanks for reading kids..My next update will probably be around March 1st-4th so I'll be updating my run at Goldstar. This'll likely be my last chance in '09 to realistically get it so lets gogogogogogo
-FF_Barret

Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Figure I'll update this before I play any more games than I am right now.

It's been an up and down March already, but fortunately my down-ness (word?) ended after my first two hours of playing.

I decided a month or two I was going for gold, and with goldstar only being 3k now instead of 4k and a full 31-day month and me being free most of the month it should be somewhat easily ascertainable.

So basically I need to get around 100 VPPs. It's really 96 but I figure 100 is a decent mark to put it at.

Lately I've been back to playing some NL25 6-max and I'm doing pretty decent. I'm up about 5-6 buy-ins over the last 1500 hands or so. Nice little heater there. Grinding there should give me a lot of VPPs there.

Also, I'm going to try to put in more volume for $12 180mans since I've had some success with them..Plus I get 5 vpps per, so that's awesome.

So basically with 4-8 tables of NL25 6max and full ring, grinding some DoN's throughout the month maybe, playing other STTs and 18mans, I should be able to get my points.

Right now with some more games/cash tables to grind tonight I'm at like 180.. I need 1.2k for Silver which I want to try to get on like the 8th or 9th or so. I'd need to get 1k by around the 10th or 11th, but if I can hit it around the 5th-7th then I'm on really good pace.

My goal is to get around 2,000 by the 18th or 19th so I can somewhat relax my last 12-13 days and just put in decent hours but not go overboard.

Hopefully I stay tilt-free, I pwn those 12/180s (which have ridiculous variance..arghhh), and do really well on my stake. It started at $900 as we remember, and I'm at like $1110 right now but I'm going to play a bunch of 12/180s tonight so it could go either way at this point..

GUESS WHAT GUYS!

My backer got 4th in the sunday million for $100,000. Holy ****. I'm going to see if he'll give me more money for the stake or if he'll back me for some high buyin games sometime. I can't play any sunday majors next week because I have a live tournament. I've only played like three live tournaments in my life, and this is the one that I've played two of.

In the past, out of playing it twice, I've got a first for $600 and 3rd for $150. It's only $75 buy-in and theres like only 20-25 who play it. It's a lot of fun, small, but I do really well in it. Hopefully I'll ship it this sunday too.

So good luck to me in that, good luck to me in 12/180s, good luck to me in gold star run, good luck to me in 18mans, good luck to me with getting more money from my backer (he's been generous enough though, if he doesn't give me anything that'd still be cool).

WOOOHOOO.

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Figure I'd update this since I've played a little bit and got some stuff to share.

Unfortunately, to start out, I haven't talked to my backer about any bonus staking for his $100k..maybe in the next weekend or two he can fire some big mtt's my way

In other news, Stars added what I've been praying would come for a long time now..$7.70 180man Turbos. PERFECT. Perfect for my bankroll since $2.20 is wayyy too low and $12s are just slightly too high. I wish they'd lower them to $6.50 though, because they aren't filling that well like I'd hope. Oh well, still being able to run a lot of them is pure awesomeness. So far I'm like 0/7 or so in them, but thats turbo 180mans for you, purely variance.

NL25 has been up and down. Looking at my rail for this stake I've played about $166.34 or a little over six and a half buy-ins over what I'd presume to be maybe around 2,500 or 3,000 hands. So pretty awesome winrate but I'd say I'm still running pretty average. I've played some of the best cash tables I've played in a long time so I'm pretty happy at how I'm doing with that.

Just about 10 minutes ago I busted out of the $8.80 10k GTD turbo in 33rd despite being 1/77 at one point. I spewed off almost all my stack to the guy in like 5th place..He raised 44 on the cutoff but it was mostly a minraise and I had like 10k to call to see a flop for a 45k pot with A7 so I do so..flop comes like A4J and his flop bet is very small so I thought he was just c-betting. Turn isn't a great card but I still think I have him so I check/shove him and he shows his set and I want to go punch a wall..

I was a shortstack for awhile until the chipleader came in and minraised AJ in middle position (i love these people), and with about 5 bbs I shoved QK on the button and failed to improve. Such an obnoxious disappointment but I ran like f'ing GOD to get there so I can't be that mad. It still sucks to think that if I hadn't made that pretty horrible spewy play I'd be doing really well in it and perhaps FT'ing it or something. Well, maybe not knowing my luck with really really deep turbo MTTs but would have been alright.

So anyways, our $900 private stake is at $1,316 for a $416 profit right now. I'm pretty happy with my results so far and I hope to keep it going..

VPP check: To be on pace for Gold Star, I need 387 VPPs by tonight. Right now I have 362 so I'm not that far off.

This weekend I plan on grinding the **** out of cash tables and putting in at least a few thousand hands. That and run around 20-50 of the $7.70 turbo 180mans and maybe some other donkaments along the way. So that should get me to hopefully around 1000 around monday. My goal is to hit Silver Star by next Tuesday or Wednesday..we'll see.

Anyways, I got a lot of monies for Blog of the Month and Thread of the month awards. Thanks a lot to Venice for the awards

Thanks as always for reading, and here's to our 70th post..
-FF_Barret

Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Not much to say but I'll talk about my live game I got got 2nd for $200 in..

Was supposed to be around 30-50 people there but it was raining extremely bad and it was held at an Eagle's Lodge so I suppose a lot of the older fellas who'd play decided to stay home. There only ended up being 15 people there.

Structure was really weird, $40 buy-in with $20 rebuy (which I took at the start) and unlimited $20 rebuys the whole first hour. Chipstacks were 500 to start but I rebought so I was at 1,000. Blinds went 5/10, 10/20, 20/40 the first hour and I should have been up to around 4,500 going into the addon which was easily for the chiplead but the following hand occured:

Lady with around 1,000 limp/calls AQ vs. my TT. Flop came 852 and she shoved into my bet and obv. river is a Q. You suck. I took my $20 add-on for 1,000 more chips and had like 3-4k or so going into the second hour.

My table was extremely bad and I knew some of the players there despite my inexperience with live tournaments. Then they decide to move me to the other table cause the other table was getting short so I move and the people there were either deadly short or were in first or second. I was in about 3rd or 4th here.

I raise KK and get two callers, flop is T9x they both check so I shove into them (they both had around 5-10bbs left after calling (f'ing calling stations) so shoving's standard), old guy flips over T9. adsfkl;jadskl;f

I move back to regular table, get in a pot with the guy who ended up winning where K9 vs. 77 ran KJJ97. adls;fkads

So I'm pretty short 6-handed with like 6-7 bbs but there's two guys with 2-5 bbs each. Under the gun I shove 88, folds around to the big blind nutjob who calls with J6, and the board runs J7T9x. Tyvm for the chips and tyvm for the turn card to save my life. The guys end up continuously folding until we hit the bubble

I'm at like 2000-2500 with a guy at like 2 bbs. He was the luckiest shortstack I ever saw. He doubled up with 1-2bbs like 3 straight rounds as I kept folding down. Eventually, with blinds at 150/300 and him in the bb with 50 chips (yeah he folded his small blind where he had 200 chips so when it got back to him he only had 50). I shoved my 600 chips where I was called by 99 and the shorty had like AQ. I had JQ. Board ran 98xxT, tyvm for the river card to keep me alive and I'm in the money.

At this point at 200/400 in the money stacks are like 10k, 8k, 12k, and my 2k so I was basically just gonna ninja it up. I doubled up, doubled again, kept chipping up and by 3 handed I was chipleader. Then we hit heads up, and I had a rocky start. I was carddead most of it and just giving chips away sort of. The guy I lost to was one of the only competant players there. We played back and forth at 500/1000 blinds with him at around 15-20k and I had around 5-10k the whole time. Eventually I shoved QKss and he called with A4os and I didn't improve.

2nd for $200 and I was in for $80 so around $120 profit. Not bad I guess for a small live donkament. I don't mind not winning that much even though them paying 4 people (4th didnt' even get their money back assuming they used their one rebuy and addon)..

By the way, I'm doing pretty alright at NL25 and $7.70 180mans, with 3 FT's out of my first 25 games or so. My $900 stake is now at around $1485 I think..something like that. Not bad

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

I've been on a heater since my last update. Winning = fun

Overall on this stake, I'm up about 11 buy-ins at NL25 6-max. What a nice run! I've been grinding really hard at those cash tables despite only playing about 4-tables. I find if I play around 6-8 I don't focus as well and my playing suffers and I oftentimes spew my stacks in bad situations. With only four tables, I'm concentrating better and my winrate is just skyrocketing.

The downside is I'm not getting terribly many VPPs from it. I get one per about 12-15 hands on average that I play at this level, so four-tabling I can play about 300-500 hands an hour..So on average, I'm making around 30-50 VPPs per hour I'm four-tabling. Not bad, but considering I need around 100 a day..

I'm going to try to grind 18/45mans harder. I played a big session last night, and boy did I hit the run good jackpot.

Played four $6.50 18mans, two $6.50 45mans and two $12 45mans..

Got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in my 18mans, a 3rd in a $6.50 45man and a 3rd in a $12 45 man for a profit of like $150 on the session..sickkk. I lost three huge races at the stretch in my $12 45man and $6.50 45man FT's that could have gotten me like $250-300 payouts on one session..crazy! I'm happy with my result though, I played very very well and ran obviously extremely well..

My $900 stake is now at $1715, a $230 increase since last time. We're only $85 away from doubling the stake, a feat I wanted to achieve by the end of the month. Pending a giant downswing, it should be very easy

My task this month is going to be grinding for goldstar..I'm going to need to definitely pick up the pace with SnGs..I'm going to try to play more $6.50 18mans and 45mans, mixing in a few $12/45mans. Getting a five VPPs a game there is pretty nice, so even if i can just get in a few a day it adds up fast.

I'm going to play a short 30-40 minute session of cash tables. I'm at 826 right now, and my goal is to get to 1000. By tonight I have to be at least at 960. It's going to be a grind today

My plan is to later play a giant session of $11 9mans and play like 25-30 of them. With five apiece with about 90-120 minutes of play should get me close to my goal. Then with cash table grindage plus any SnGs I play should get me over my mark of where I'm supposed to be. I've been barely hitting pace every day this past week, I want to finally go ahead of pace. Going to be difficult, however.

Good luck to me, and good luck everyone else with their goals

I'm thinking of writing another poker guide, but I'm not sure what to do. I've wanted to write one on 45mans but a lot of the play is very similar to the 18mans its simply just biding your time before you get to the shove/fold situations which are so crutial. Or maybe I'd write a little bit more on cash tables or blind on blind action or something like that..who knows.

Until next time, thanks for reading

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

I ended my staking yesterday.

I planned on playing a 24+ table session of $11 9mans which would have gotten me like 125 vpps right there, but right as I'm registering a giant storm starts coming. Great timing, huh? So with 10 games playing I unregister from my remaining 14 incase the power goes out I only lose around $100 or so instead of $250..

Power ends up not going out, and I finished in the money in six of them for like $70 profit (not bad after swiftly losing $50 at cash tables shortly after I made yesterday's blog post).

Later that night, I took down a $6.50 18man, busted some other random SnGs, then won two heads up matches to close out the stake. I ended at $1804, slightly more than double our original amount. I shipped him $1352, giving him a 1.5x return, and I profited $452 from nothing. Not bad!

So our current bankroll stands as such:

On Stars: $1,905.51 with 22 W$; 9,373 FPPs and 950 VPPs for March

On FTP: $341.07; 1,501 FTPs

I also have like $100-110 in dude904 and $200 in another friend, giving us a total bankroll of around $2578. This is including me taking out about $1,000 since our latest big win, so this is pretty much awesome.

I'm going to stop playing backed and just play these regular games on my own dime. These games include:

1. DoNs up to the $10.40 level (turbos; though I probably won't be playing much more of these)
2. STTs turbo and nonturbo (mostly non-turbo) at the $6.50 and $11 level
3. $6.50 18mans
4. $6.50 45mans/$12 45mans
5. $7.70 180mans
6. NL25 6max
7. MTTs on FTP up to $11; up to $22 on Stars

I think this kind of schedule gives me lots of room to play all that I want to play while grinding VPPs.

By tonight, I need to be at 1056 VPPs, so I really need to pick up some slack today. I plan to play another giant session of $11 9mans to put me back on pace, then any other games I play will just be bonus.

I need to leave here at like 2:30-2:45 so I don't really have time to play anything but cash tables or DoNs..I'm probably just going to play cash tables for now.

Here's to the rest of March

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

I really don't have too much to update on today so this one'll probably be short.

I've pretty much given up on Gold Star..some stuff has come up in real life and I can't give my attention to poker in March as I thought I could. I'll still be playing a lot of games but for now I just can't put in the time. Good luck to those going for it this month, hopefully I'll join you a few more months down the road.

That said, I'm already easily a Silver Star so I'm going to just stick to that for awhile.

My bankroll really hasn't changed too much as I haven't been playing terribly many SnGs as of late. Played a few 45mans/18mans last night; got 3rd in a $16 18man. I'm thinking of playing a few of those on and off now; and I'm trying to work in more $12 45mans. I don't want to get too carried away at first since I haven't really played these games too terribly much. My 18man game is much improved and I'm rocking the 45mans as of late so we'll see.

I'm thinking of getting off here for a bit then really running the crap out of $6.50/$12 45mans and $6.50 18mans for awhile and maybe mixing in some $16s..then playing some satellites later on today..who knows.

Should be a fun day, either will go my way and I'll grind up a decent profit or our bankroll's going to kill itself. Either way, should be interesting.

I have $1863.91 plus 22 W$ on FTP (plus my $341 on FTP) so I have around $2500-2600 or so including my investments which haven't been moving much.

Until next time, thanks for reading guys. By the way, pm me with your favorite band and get a sng/mtt stake under $4.
-FF_Barret

Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well I have new motivation

This boku87 guy from 2p2 has given me a lot of inspiration to really get started grinding these games I mentioned in the above post..

Not to be cliche or to try to emulate him, but I'm starting my own challenge with a friend (DevineIntervention7 on surfers; he may or may not be blogging this too)..

$110 to start at the $1.10 45man level (yeah 100 buy-ins we're nits) and moving up pretty much together when we feel like it..It's not really going to be at a specific amount, but once we feel really comfortable (which I already am just for challenge's sake) and we're crushing the games and making money we move up to the $3.25 level, etc.

I'm estimating we move up to the $3.25 level around $200-250, then to the $6.50 level around $500-600..The goal is to get to $1000

This is going to occupy most of my poker playing the next few weeks..I hope to really be able to be mass grinding 45mans and get comfortable that I can really multitable the $12s and stuff within a few months..This summer I hope to be pulling in a few hundred every week and maybe by the end of summer have around 3,000-4,000$ and playing some 27s too..ahh, dare to dream.

We're both extremely motivated and hopefully this can really make us better poker players..I don't usually do challenges like this seeing its not my style, but I told myself I wanted to be able to grind the $6-12 18mans and 45mans (I'm putting the 18mans on hold for awhile actually) and this is a great way to work myself to do so by starting low..

I'm going to be updating this with my progress..go me
-FF_Barret

Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well, three days into my challenge and I'm 48 games in at the $1.10 45man

I've got 9 cashes, so a little bit over average in that respect..

So far we're up about $13.70. Not terrible, but really not doing much yet. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have gone on a heater or something and the bankroll will be around $200-250 and I'll be able to move up to the $3.25s. I don't want to move up anytime before then..

Other than that, I haven't been playing too much other stuff. Played a $5.50 turbo rebuy today and shipped it for $40 profit (Wheeeee!!!!!) and right now im at the 2nd break of a $5.50 KO MTT on ftp. 8530 at soon to be 200/400 and we're nearing the money so hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have a new shipped MTT and a much higher bankroll to report

Really not much else to go over here..I planned on writing my 45man strategy guide but I've been focused on other stuff..I'm still developing my game and I'll probably get it done eventually during this challenge while I'm still really motivated and when I think my game's really where it should be.

Kind of an unrelated note, I've been keeping busy doing some other stuff lately. As some of you know and as you can tell by the kind of style of my blog posts I really aspire to be a writer.

Lately, I've been writing some short stories as well as writing some poetry just for myself..I don't really show them to anyone I just like to write to myself and really try to improve..maybe in future posts I'll post some of my stuff..

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in any other post, but I'm also a very advanced piano player..I have an extremely good musical ear (my father was a music instructor so I suppose it runs in the family) and most of the songs I play are arrangements (as in, my own versions) of songs and stuff..I play a lot of Billy Joel, Elton John, Ray Charles, among a lot of other songs I hear and stuff. It's a lot of fun, and it keeps me busy. Anyways, tomorrow night there's some music program going on at a local school and I'm playing some opening music before it starts..should be fun. Anyways, thats it for now.

I'm not used to writing about my personal life on here..It's really not my style, and I can't see why anyone would really care to begin with, but it's always nice to touch on some other non-poker stuff. Oh well.

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Taking a long break from poker. Just had one of the worst days of poker ever. Had the most unbelievably torturous session of hyper turbo satellites in the history of the world and then tilted off a lot of my roll

Cashing out most of what I have and I'm taking a long break. See you guys.
-FF_Barret

Old 06-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

And the kid is back!!!!

WOOHOOO!!!

Been playing poker for a little while..I just got back from a trip to Turning Stone casino a few days ago..if I'm feeling bored soon I may decide to write up a trip report..would be work reading, lot of stuff happened.

Anyways, just ran a $187 BAS and all seemed horrible until I took 4th in my last MTT of the day for like $279..BAS profited a decent bit and we all took some profits..yeehaw..up to make 3650 or so TPS? sweeeet

Been nice talking to some of you guys again..we'll see how active I'll be here..not really sure yet..
-FF_Barret

Old 08-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well, I know I've sort of lost my motivation for posting in this a lot, but I feel like I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't mention my 2nd place in the $26 34k GTD for $5,700. Was a sick tournament and I have no regrets about not taking first.

My first thing I'm doing with the money is cashing out $550..I'm going with the girlfriend to a baseball series up in Cleveland with the Indians facing my Texas Rangers (the Rangers usually only come to Cleveland once or twice a year and this is the only time I'd be able to see them)..so I'm gonna buy like awesome $60 seats for the games for us and actually enjoy a nice series of classic baseball.

<3 life right now, idk how much poker I'll be playing. I really do want to get that FTP bonus so might just have to play for that.

Current roll [with cashing out $550] = $7,321 on FTP, and $47.77 on Stars. Sick life
-FF_Barret

Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well well well.

Reading this last page of this blog is quite the nostalgic trip. Some parts you look back and say "Wow, what in god's name was I thinking?" and other things you say "you handled that well" or "You kept up with that plan/goal...nice job Barret."

It's kind of funny I guess, but I'm more inclined to put the past behind me and focus on the current.

2009 was an incredible year of poker for me. I had more FT's than probably every other year combined, I had an unprecedented profit, my game improved immensely, I coached some players who did very well, I played mostly on my own money, and overall I'm just proud of what I've accomplished.

I was a micro stakes player for years. I joined two staking forums back when I simply was not a very good poker player. I remember being too tight, too nitty, not willing to take chances. It resulted in more min-cashes than I care to remember, countless micro stakes on these forums, and very little three dimension to show for it. For years I began working on my game, studying game theory throughout these poker sites and especially on 2p2. I began studying other people's games, because what helped me improve my own was being able to constructively improve someone else. I wrote several poker guides on a variety of subjects, from cash tables to 18mans.

I got hacked for $3k, almost my entire bankroll, until the unlikely support staff at FTP stopped the culprit. Was one of the most nervewrecking days of my life.

I took vacations to Florida, France, to the Turning Stone in NY where I cashed in my first live major, a $260 Event in the Summer Poker Classic placing 13th.

After several big wins early in the year, I had the week of my life where I finished in 2nd in a $26 on FTP for $5600+. Days later, at a community festival, I won a contest where out of goodwill (and a hopeful sense of karma), donated some of the winnings back. That night, I won the Midnight Madness for over $4500.

And after continuing to carry on, work through life hardships and transitions and the nastiness of the poker grind, I went into the 2010 with an incredible sense of pride and accomplishment. How does January reward me? With a nearly $4,000 profit, almost a dozen final tables, a Hall of Fame BAS, and the growing sense of belonging in the poker world.

I do not share this to brag, or boast, or any of that. Hell, I will still continue to play my $3.30 MTTs and my NL25 and whatever lower games are out there. It's in my blood. This post isn't meant to exaggerate claims or to plug my accomplishments. Merely, it is a public showing that no matter how long the process takes, you can accomplish what you set out to do.

I remember years ago, with a $0.50 bankroll, grinding out the dimer MTTs on Pokerstars. They didn't have SnGs under $1.10 (they had the $1.10 45man and the $1.75 18man..that was pretty much all you had) back then, and the quarter and 50c MTTs hadn't been introduced yet. The nightly schedule was a random array of $1.10-$3.30s but I didn't quite have the roll for it. Other than their usual 16:00 dimer MTT, they held three nightly $0.10 MTTs to run at 19:03, 20:03, and 21:03.

I would wait each night, with my $0.50 bankroll, hoping to play these, for they were really all I had to play. I would play them, my nitty self shining brilliantly in the cosmos of Pokerstars, as I grinded them night after night, mincash after mincash, my bankroll achieving no variability and further improvement seemingly thrusting itself into the distance. In short, it sucked. I remember even before those days, back when I played play chips, unaware that if I grinded them to a certain point I could sell them. I didn't really play to improve, it was just a game to me. I remember thinking that winning money would be really fun, but it seemed like such a complicated, long process of working my way up.

I remember thinking to myself, as I watched in awe and jealousy the number of players with three, four, five, and six-digit bankrolls, playing whatever tournament they wished, well aware of the variance but overall unconcerned of the short-term. That's what I prayed for. I remember specifically thinking "What I would do to have a $10,000 bankroll. I could play $10 and $20 tournaments with ease. I could play any reasonable SnG and MTT I wanted, with no concern of the short-term, relying on the long-term to continue my fun."

Well, I don't quite have a $10,000 bankroll, but for now, $9,000 or so will do.

Like many things in life, poker is often a long process. It is the process of working through the micro buy-ins, playing out games, improving, putting in hours and hours and hours of studying game theory, hand histories, mundane strategy posts, and becoming familiar with how the game works, both off and on the poker table. One must learn responsibility, competitiveness, aggression, and risk-taking. It isn't easy, and it takes a hell of a lot of time. It simply isn't easy.

However, it is still allowed, and if you take the time to work at what you want, you'll find you're a lot better off. I have essentially hit the goal in my poker career I've set out for over six years to do. And I know I have a long way to go.

I'll be updating this like I always have, extolling my good poker experiences and ranting in disgust of my bad, sharing the stories we all can relate to, spreading the information and knowledge I feel needs to be shared.

To any beginners or "newbies" or anyone out there who feels like they simply aren't going anywhere in poker, please read my story another time. I am not inherently a good poker player. Many people aren't. But it is not impossible if you have great work ethic and a willingness to succeed. Many of you do not have to worry about having only a select few dimer MTTs to play to keep yourself from going bankrupt. There are so many great things out there for beginner and intermediate players, all the way up to the more advanced levels of the game. Just keep going..the journey is never complete.

Thanks for reading, and hope to be back updating like I've always been.

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well well well.

Reading this last page of this blog is quite the nostalgic trip. Some parts you look back and say "Wow, what in god's name was I thinking?" and other things you say "you handled that well" or "You kept up with that plan/goal...nice job Barret."

It's kind of funny I guess, but I'm more inclined to put the past behind me and focus on the current.

2009 was an incredible year of poker for me. I had more FT's than probably every other year combined, I had an unprecedented profit, my game improved immensely, I coached some players who did very well, I played mostly on my own money, and overall I'm just proud of what I've accomplished.

I was a micro stakes player for years. I joined two staking forums back when I simply was not a very good poker player. I remember being too tight, too nitty, not willing to take chances. It resulted in more min-cashes than I care to remember, countless micro stakes on these forums, and very little three dimension to show for it. For years I began working on my game, studying game theory throughout these poker sites and especially on 2p2. I began studying other people's games, because what helped me improve my own was being able to constructively improve someone else. I wrote several poker guides on a variety of subjects, from cash tables to 18mans.

I got hacked for $3k, almost my entire bankroll, until the unlikely support staff at FTP stopped the culprit. Was one of the most nervewrecking days of my life.

I took vacations to Florida, France, to the Turning Stone in NY where I cashed in my first live major, a $260 Event in the Summer Poker Classic placing 13th.

After several big wins early in the year, I had the week of my life where I finished in 2nd in a $26 on FTP for $5600+. Days later, at a community festival, I won a contest where out of goodwill (and a hopeful sense of karma), donated some of the winnings back. That night, I won the Midnight Madness for over $4500.

And after continuing to carry on, work through life hardships and transitions and the nastiness of the poker grind, I went into the 2010 with an incredible sense of pride and accomplishment. How does January reward me? With a nearly $4,000 profit, almost a dozen final tables, a Hall of Fame BAS, and the growing sense of belonging in the poker world.

I do not share this to brag, or boast, or any of that. Hell, I will still continue to play my $3.30 MTTs and my NL25 and whatever lower games are out there. It's in my blood. This post isn't meant to exaggerate claims or to plug my accomplishments. Merely, it is a public showing that no matter how long the process takes, you can accomplish what you set out to do.

I remember years ago, with a $0.50 bankroll, grinding out the dimer MTTs on Pokerstars. They didn't have SnGs under $1.10 (they had the $1.10 45man and the $1.75 18man..that was pretty much all you had) back then, and the quarter and 50c MTTs hadn't been introduced yet. The nightly schedule was a random array of $1.10-$3.30s but I didn't quite have the roll for it. Other than their usual 16:00 dimer MTT, they held three nightly $0.10 MTTs to run at 19:03, 20:03, and 21:03.

I would wait each night, with my $0.50 bankroll, hoping to play these, for they were really all I had to play. I would play them, my nitty self shining brilliantly in the cosmos of Pokerstars, as I grinded them night after night, mincash after mincash, my bankroll achieving no variability and further improvement seemingly thrusting itself into the distance. In short, it sucked. I remember even before those days, back when I played play chips, unaware that if I grinded them to a certain point I could sell them. I didn't really play to improve, it was just a game to me. I remember thinking that winning money would be really fun, but it seemed like such a complicated, long process of working my way up.

I remember thinking to myself, as I watched in awe and jealousy the number of players with three, four, five, and six-digit bankrolls, playing whatever tournament they wished, well aware of the variance but overall unconcerned of the short-term. That's what I prayed for. I remember specifically thinking "What I would do to have a $10,000 bankroll. I could play $10 and $20 tournaments with ease. I could play any reasonable SnG and MTT I wanted, with no concern of the short-term, relying on the long-term to continue my fun."

Well, I don't quite have a $10,000 bankroll, but for now, $9,000 or so will do.

Like many things in life, poker is often a long process. It is the process of working through the micro buy-ins, playing out games, improving, putting in hours and hours and hours of studying game theory, hand histories, mundane strategy posts, and becoming familiar with how the game works, both off and on the poker table. One must learn responsibility, competitiveness, aggression, and risk-taking. It isn't easy, and it takes a hell of a lot of time. It simply isn't easy.

However, it is still allowed, and if you take the time to work at what you want, you'll find you're a lot better off. I have essentially hit the goal in my poker career I've set out for over six years to do. And I know I have a long way to go.

I'll be updating this like I always have, extolling my good poker experiences and ranting in disgust of my bad, sharing the stories we all can relate to, spreading the information and knowledge I feel needs to be shared.

To any beginners or "newbies" or anyone out there who feels like they simply aren't going anywhere in poker, please read my story another time. I am not inherently a good poker player. Many people aren't. But it is not impossible if you have great work ethic and a willingness to succeed. Many of you do not have to worry about having only a select few dimer MTTs to play to keep yourself from going bankrupt. There are so many great things out there for beginner and intermediate players, all the way up to the more advanced levels of the game. Just keep going..the journey is never complete.

Thanks for reading, and hope to be back updating like I've always been.

-barret
-FF_Barret

Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Welcome to the FTOPS boys. Showed up 15 minutes late and busted on my 4th hand back, KK<AA. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Anyways, it's nearly 5 A.M. and I plan on going to sleep soon, but figure I might as well post some details on my prop bet plan just so I have a tangible idea put together and for reference to myself and any bettors/interested people wanting to see how I plan to do this.

I don't have any specific daily goals, for example by the end of Day X, I want to have.... I feel like this would alter my play and grinding. I don't want to feel satisfied and after a certain point feel like I'm "done for the day". This is a week long bet, and I may feel "good" if it's going well, but I just want to look at the overall bet and not make specific daily goals. That said, this is just a very very very informal and foremost idea of what I want to do with this:

Step 1: Start with $.02/.04 Limit holdem tables. Put $1.00 on five tables, putting the entire bankroll on the tables right away. Aggressive but cautious start. If at any time I drop down below $4.00, I will drop down to four tables of $1.00. Same with three tables. If I drop to $2.00, I will hail mary two tables of $.01/.02 nlhe and hope to grind back up at that point.

Assuming things go relatively well (can I really lose like 50-75 bets at .02/.04 for crying out loud?), I will grind this for at least an hour or two, trying to make like at least $1.50-$3.00 or so. I really want to get my bankroll to at least $7.00, preferably around $8 or $9...

Once I hit to that point, I will begin including some $.01/.02 tables and buying in for just a dollar or so and working that up. I hope to grind that to around $10-15.

Step Two: SnG arrival. I will transition over to SnGs at this point in the bet. I will grind the $.25 45mans and 90mans while also playing a lot of $0.10 360man turbos. If at any point I drop back down below like $7, I will go back to the cash tables and work up again. I hope to work this roll up to like $20-30 or so.

Step Three: Begin working in some slightly higher SnGs. Putting in some Double or Nothings at the $1.10/$1.15 level, some $1.10 45mans, etc. This will be a big step for me. I hope to work this to around $45-60 playing these.

Step Four: Continue playing the $1.10 45mans and include the $1.75 18mans. Grind the **** out of these things and work to $100-125.

Step Five: Include some $.02/.05 cash tables. Include some MTTs up to the $3.30 level. Start to take shots at $2.20 180men. Move down to the previous level if I don't do well. Continue grinding 45mans, 18mans, some MTTs, 2/180s, and some lower level cash.

Step Six:When I'm at around $175-200, by about day three or four, start working in some 4/180s, more tables of $.02/.05, work in $3 18mans and 45mans. Also, maybe take some shots at $5.20/$5.40 double or nothings. Move this up to like $250-300

Step Seven:Grind the **** out of $3 sngs. $3.40 18mans, $3.25 45mans, $2.20 180mans, MTTs up to $5.50, still maybe play some DoNs, but mostly play the $3 sngs for a whole day or two. Hopefully be up to like $400 by day five or beginning of day six.

Step Eight:Start adding in some $10 double or nothings, some NL10 games, and take some shots at $6.50 18mans and 45mans. The higher I get, the more shots I take at the $6.50s but don't go overboard. When I hit the $400-450 mark, the last thing I need is a huge 20-30 downswing. So just hopefully play really well, run really well, and do well.

Step Nine: Around the $500+ mark, base my situation off of how much time I have left. If I simply have one full day left, I will see how much time I have in relation to how much I need. With one full day left and <$100 left, I would just do some low-variance grinding at NL10 and $3.25s and $3.40s for the first half of the day. If I'm going nowhere, increase volume. If I'm losing, try to increase volume and take more shots at the $6.50 to try to build up. If I'm winning, just keep going until I hit it Last thing I want is a downswing that will cost me the victory once I get really close. So if I have time, playing games I know I can beat and lower the variance would be awesome.

If I have more than a day left, just grind the crap out of low variance games and continue working up.

If I have a day left and I'm still only at $400-499, grind the flipflipflipflip out of the $6.50s and hope to have a few nice sessions and work up...

If I have a day left and I'm still only at $200-399, instantly move up to the $6.50s and grind the flipflipflipflip out of them and try to win a crap ton of buy-ins. If I have a few hours left and I'm <$400, I might play one big session of 12/180s or something that still keeps me above $205 (in case I lose the bet I don't lose money total).

Idk.

Just an idea.
-FF_Barret

Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Elite Supernova Horse
Sharkfin Winner

Well, unfortunately the prop bet didn't win. But I did have a fun end to it. With like three hours left I played a $6.25 heads up with most of the rest of the bankroll, won it. Tried a $11.50, won it. Tried a $22, won it, tried a $34.50, won it. Wow! We're up to like $75 ish at this point.

I play several 12/180s trying to ship one of them, and I actually final table one, but I believe I took 6th losing a race that would have put me in first. Damn. Gave people a sweat though

It's been quite a week of grinding. I've played through like 30k+ hands of NL25/NL50 rush on FTP the last week or so, winning at least a few hundred and making at least $225 of rakeback in the process. Hopefully I can maintain a $100 rakeback week and keep my motivation up to grind hands.

Playing a 12/180man BAS right now that started off great, hopefully that ends good too

I've had an idea lately but I don't know if I'm going to follow through with it at all. I've been wanting to throw up a BAS for like $5k and buy like $2-2.5k of it myself and play some higher buyin MTTs sometimes..just a lot of stuff on the $10-50 level that I'm too nitty to play myself. I hate playing backed when I have my own roll but it seems like a lot of fun, playing those decent buy-in MTTs I know I can hold my own on. *shrug*

Either way, miniFTOPS coming up, so hopefully that goes well. Been a good March so far, FT'd a 12/180 last night and FT'd a $33 on FTP last night for like $100. not huge but I'll take it.

Thanks for reading
-FF_Barret

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker