Surfers Poker, Poker Forum

Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Blogs and Poker Entertainment > Poker Blogs
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Staker Points: 2280.79
TPS: 18.77
Plays at : Hero
Game of choice : O8
Fav. Online Player : thorny frog
tomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forum
Send a message via Skype™ to tomano
Default Tomano's Surfing Surfari

Hey,

I figure it is about time for me to start a poker blog to track my progress in poker and my experience here at surfers poker.

Micro grinding is full of frustrations, but I'm learning. I believe I am getting better, but results aren't showing it yet. The lack of results has convinced me I need help and have found a lot of good material in the Strategy and Hand Analysis, as well as the poker coaching video sections here at Surfers.

I have had a lot of work issues that have kept me from really putting in a lot of time to be coached or to study hand histories, but that is where I want to proceed. The offers here at Surfers are really amazing - I applied to Frogmans Grind School and have contacted Barret for some help. I hope someday to take advantage of these opportunities to learn and grow my poker game by leaps and bounds.

atm, I have a lot of my br invested in BAS's - my br is just for fun money, but I do try to practice good brm - tbh, I do think I have invested too much, but I have confidence that it is money invested well. it is actually enjoyable for me to follow the rails and at times, watch a few hands that the horses play.

that's it for now, I guess. Hopefully, my progress will really show as I update this blog from time to time.

Surfers has been very good to me!

Surfers Poker - Featured Sites
Old 05-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

tomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

This blog might better be titled Tomano's Titanic Collapse!

flip poker, seriously! I am not only on life tilt, but poker tilt too!

ok, deep breath mate, think about what you're thankful for in life,
smoke da herb (as per Dr. PB's instructions), ahhhhhhhhh
now go surfing!

be back later!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

The surf was not that great, but any time riding waves is time well spent for me.

Last night, played two 1.75 18 mans and ended up 4th and 6th - I saved the hand histories to study, nothing too fascinating other than me playing way too nitty on the bubble to finish 4th.(kept getting small pairs and folding) But my main goal last night was to start studying HH's to figure out not only where I can play better, but how other players are playing at this level.

also played a 1.40 90 man KO for fun and finished 10th with 2 ko's. Took a big hit with 17 left, lost 3/4 of my stack with A2 on a AA4 flop on the button - checked around to me, bet 2/3rds pot, turn 10 putting 2 hearts, checked to me, bet 1/2 pot, can't remember what the river was, but he checked again to me (I've been getting slow played a lot lately it seems). I would have normally shoved and lost as he had AJ, but I checked, lost and then nitted my way to the money as I was 16/17 after that pot. I hate playing that way to just min-cash and I hope to change that leak of mine soon.

Not playing today as I slept horribly last night (post traumatic stress is what the pyschologist called it, from a cumulation of events over the years), worked and am barely awake, watching some of the SCOOP ME action - gl Agent Bear and Bodom, both itm.
Still considering seriously what the psychologist said about moving on in life, getting away from the stress of my lifeguarding job - I cover about 10 miles of some of the roughest coastline in California, oftentimes solo. It can be quite stressful as there usually is a half dozen drownings a year that we respond to in the general area (not always in our park) and numerous car accidents along the highway. It is a great job and I enjoy it immensely, but I'm stressed out often for sure.
My health is important and I have to think about what I want to do when I grow up.
Ceramics and video editing are sort of my hobbies other than surfing of course.

ok, that is sort of my life atm (it's sort of heavy on my mind, way more than normal), and I'll get back to poker for future posts - that and surfing!!!!

btw, I really enjoy reading other surfer's blogs, especially the ones that include a little bit of life happenings with the poker happenings.

Last edited by tomano : 05-17-2010 at 03:17 AM.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Investments - 6 BAS's that I invested in came to a close this last weekend, 3 returned a profit, 2 returned some of the investment back. Overall, I ended up only about $10 down - not too bad considering the potential in all the SCOOP events. It was nice to see my stars br back up, but alas, I am going to invest in VBC#4 and KT.

Surfing - went for a run/surf/run on the beach yesterday after work. The surf was really small. Today, I went for a super long paddle on a 12' paddle board. Caught a few waves along the way and knee boarded them. It was a good workout, but I can't wait for the waves to pick back up again.

poker - haven't really played lately. I want to make sure my focus is there. Stopped by my mom's this morning and she told me she took 5th place in the .25 cent $100 added MTT last night for $31 bucks. WTG Madre!

Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Default poker goals

surfed the last two days - big windswell yesterday at the cove rights and smaller junkier swell at the lefts today. And a big south is heading this way for sunday and monday. Man, I love surfing!!!

ok, the reason for the post though is I have been thinking about poker goals.
When I first joined surfers at the beginning of the year, my goals were to have fun and to continue to learn. I still have those as goals, but now I think I can actually make a profit at this game (might be the beers going to my head?).
I want to move up in limits, but do so with BRM in mind - my current bankroll on stars is a little over $100 (that doesn't include the money already invested in BASs), and figuring 50bi's for SnGs, that leaves me at $2 and under. More 1.10 45 mans for me!
So my first goal is to double that $100 , between my playing and money invested in fellow surfers. (I will probably not invest as much as I have been until I hit that goal, unless Ouch does a BAS for $12 180 grindage or something.)
As far as multitabling is concerned, I am comfortable playing 3 games at once atm, but my goal is to eventually get up to 6.
Well, we'll see how it goes.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

missed PAD railed it though for a bit.

won a $1.75 18 man yesterday. that was fun! and satied into a $5.50 Razz tournament (Ante Up Poker Magazine's AIPS events- a freeroll for next week's event) This stoked me out because it was stud (not razz unfortunately) and I have not done well at stud in the past. I do really like razz for some reason.

Today has been another story. I feel like I am playing well and my confidence is returning and even though I had lost a few games, I was right on the bubble of an 18 man and a 90 man when my internet connection crapped out. Ughh!
Now I'm hesitant to fire up a bunch of games atm. It is really windy here!

So the weekend was pretty much break even poker - the story of my poker career so far.

on the investment front, Max

Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

horrible night of poker for me! I should have known it would be a bad night when I fired up two 18 mans and sat card dead until a good shove spot and then lost - 2 games, 2 hands played, 0 hands won, -3.50.
It got better when I decided to play 90 mans, but alas 19th and 13th were my best two. Once again, AA wins small pots and loses big ones. sigh
Overall, I think I was -$10 or so.
The sad thing is I feel like I'm playing well, but not catching breaks when it matters. The 13th place really hurt as I was 1/45 at one point and just went down in flames to the point I was 19/20, fought and fought only to bubble shoving 8 bb's with 10 10 from BB when SB min raised and called with QJ. Standard, I know, but the 10 on the flop gave me so much hope. He got the straight on the river, obv.
Okay, enough poker, here are some photos of me - the first one I am longboarding the spot I surfed today. It was a little smaller today, but smoother. It was way more fun than poker today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossstep.jpg (8.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg me standing with board at cardiff.jpg (8.4 KB, 111 views)

Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Default Confidence

I seem to be on a horrid downswing - can't tell you how many times I've uttered the phrase "are you kidding me?" I guess I picked the wrong time to step up in levels and try some 3.30 90 man KO's on Tilt - went 0-4 with 0 KO's.
went out with KK (Kh) shoving a flop of AQT (all h) - had to go for the royal, but got called by A9o (no h) and lost. then AA<Q6 aipf (AK shoved 15 bbs, I over shoved with 20 bbs, Q6 called), 99<AA (I 3 bet aipf) and one game I just played horibad AJs lost to 78s - I rivered straight, he rivered flush.
One thing I noticed though is that competition at the $3 level is just as bad as the $1 level.
I did win $1 on a .35 cent sat to $1 main event sat. - 40 people got tickets, 41st got $1. I can't play this sunday, so I just shoved atc once we got to 41 people and got 41st, weeee!
But confidence, man is it gone right now. I am almost to the point that I expect the river to be the card to knock me out. and it seems like confidence is so important in poker - at least the confidence to rely on your reads and make moves at the right times. To bet when you think you have the best of it and not play passively. Aggression comes with confidence and that is my goal, to be a TAG.
I just hope it is a downswing and not proof that I really do suck at poker!
I am so unconfident, I played a 8-game freeroll last night and that actually doesn't help with the confidence level, but fun to play other games for a change - but then, sucked it up and played one 1.10 45 man and min cashed. That felt like a huge victory!

Oh well, at least I got some fun waves yesterday and feel like my surfing is getting back on track. Having fun, surfing well and life is good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19866986v2_240x240_Front_Color-BlackWhite.jpg (11.3 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by tomano : 05-27-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Took the last few days off of playing poker for a couple reasons:

1) I think I was pressing too much - I want to win and think I can, but I am not quite there yet and need to be patient in the learning process. I felt like I was playing well, making some mistakes but overall playing well, for me that is.
2) Going back to work this week, I wanted to be well rested and relaxed, and poker has been a bit stressful as of late.

Finally won a little bit on Saturday, only a couple bucks, but better than losing. I've stepped back to play a few .25ers just for confidence building.
And the AIPS Razz event I won a seat for was on saturday, 22 entrants and I finished 8th. I like Razz, but so frustrating when it goes brick, brick, brick on the last three. Still fun to play!

Am doing some WSOP reporting for Surfers. Event #3! I like it! And I enjoy following the updates on Poker News, especially since I am taking some time off of playing this week.

Surfed a sunset session this evening - a south swell picked up and I caught a few lefts out at the south point of the cove. 3-4 foot with some 5-6 foot occasional sets. Cold though!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

of course this happens when i am just playing with a .25 for fun:

a straight flush - wooooot!

Pokerstars Game #45059161931: Tournament #279640328, $0.25+$0.00 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (25/50) - 2010/06/04 11:17:14 PT [2010/06/04 14:17:14 ET]
Table '279640328 3' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Giorgio78955 (4405 in chips)
Seat 2: tomano252 (3020 in chips)
Seat 3: frejus83 (1227 in chips)
Seat 4: galon79 (4040 in chips)
Seat 5: Midavkom (4725 in chips)
Seat 6: webona60 (2425 in chips)
Seat 7: Prokiubi (2055 in chips)
Seat 8: largatixa (4875 in chips)
Seat 9: Hormann892 (6520 in chips)
webona60: posts small blind 25
Prokiubi: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to tomano252 [7h 8h]
largatixa: raises 50 to 100
Hormann892: folds
Giorgio78955: calls 100
tomano252: calls 100
frejus83: folds
galon79: folds
Midavkom: folds
webona60: calls 75
Prokiubi: folds
*** FLOP *** [2h 3d 9h]
webona60: bets 150
largatixa: calls 150
Giorgio78955: folds
tomano252: calls 150
*** TURN *** [2h 3d 9h] [5h]
webona60: bets 250
largatixa: calls 250
tomano252: raises 500 to 750
webona60: calls 500
largatixa: folds
*** RIVER *** [2h 3d 9h 5h] [6h]
webona60: bets 300
tomano252: raises 800 to 1100
webona60: calls 800
*** SHOW DOWN ***
tomano252: shows [7h 8h] (a straight flush, Five to Nine)
webona60: mucks hand
tomano252 collected 4850 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4850 | Rake 0
Board [2h 3d 9h 5h 6h]
Seat 1: Giorgio78955 folded on the Flop
Seat 2: tomano252 showed [7h 8h] and won (4850) with a straight flush, Five to Nine
Seat 3: frejus83 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: galon79 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Midavkom (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: webona60 (small blind) mucked [Td Th]
Seat 7: Prokiubi (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: largatixa folded on the Turn
Seat 9: Hormann892 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

And I min cashed a 1.10 6 max MTT! -was going great, but then got pwned by the big stack over and over again, then limped itm

At least poker is fun again! Even the bad beats have less affect! I am not ready to get back to the grind, as I have a lot to do today - film editting.

Surf update - fun small ones yesterday

Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Surf Update: Not much surf as it is way too windy and small, but two good swells on the way for my days off of work this Thursday and Friday. Weeeee!

Poker Update: Haven't played much in the way of poker, a few games here and there, but nothing to really talk about. Just not feeling it, but am really enjoying following the WSOP. I am like a little grom watching all the surfers at the pro contests. I pretty much check Poker News way too often. At least, I've done a few reports for surfers, but truth be told, I'd be checking the updates all the time regardless.

In other news, friday just can't arrive fast enough. I'll be cheering on Mexico in the first game! And of course hoping the US can pull off a big upset!

This blog chopped the blog of the month for May with RSN5 - my first monthly prize on surfers. Thanks Venice! Hopefully the prize will go towards a huge score!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

So I decided to take the $5.50 prize and put it toward a few tournaments, like a small stake- and I do owe Venice some ASB, so maybe I'll pay it back this way.
My idea is to do like 3-4 MTT's. I really wanted to do a $2.20 6-max and just finished it. I added a 1.10 HORSE as well. Cashed both! Weeeee! So, I have 1-2 tournies left to do tomorrow.

Tournament #315011063, $2.20 202nd/1851 +$4.07 K3<AK I shoved all in for about 12 BB's on a K73 flop, 7 on river. Oh well!
Tournament #280129600, $1.10 HORSE 23/137 +1.43 very short stacked, got it in with A269 double suited in O8, flop was looking good 34Q with two hearts (I had the nut flush draw as well as the nut low draw). Unfortunately, I bricked out, but couldn't have been happier to get it in there with a chance of quadrupling up.

Original amount: $5.50
Put into play: $3.30 Amount remaining: $2.20
Total winnings : $5.50
(ASB owed: $2.48 - I believe)

Seems like I am so close to busting a deep run! I'll give it another try tomorrow as I'm too tired tonight after working all day.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

played the $1.10 1000max - 248th as 10 10 < A8s , but was in need of a double up as I was down to 8 bb's after folding 99 to a 3bet shove (I was thinking I should have probably shoved 99, but I opened 2.5x just so I could fold if I got shipped on, so ...), so definitely happy to get it in there.
So, out of my original $5.50, I'm down to $1.10 for one more BI.
total winnings thus far $5.50

but rather than play anymore, I am going to go surf. A small windswell should be rather fun!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

picture: Ala Moana in Hawaii! My girlfriend (I wish)

Surf update: fun yesterday as I was out alone at the point. The waves were about head high on the biggest sets, but really inconsistent. One of the things I really enjoy about living in such a cold water zone is that the mediocre days are empty. And I just like to surf, no matter how good the waves are, I am going to go out if the waves are rideable. The windswells usually are challenging as you have to select the ones that are going to hit the reef with some wall to actually perform manuevers. I was riding my 8'7" 5-fin roundy, my favorite board. It is not really a longboard as it is fast and I can carve it real easy, but still cross-step when the occasion arises.

poker: I hate my internet connection sometimes. As I was playing a 1.10 6max mtt this morning, the connection went out for about 40 minutes, making sure I was shortstacked and in shove mode when I finally got it back.
Not going to count that one in my prize tournies as I ended in about 900 out of 3000ish (AKs<KK).

World Cup: so stoked it has started! watching France-Uruguay atm

Old 06-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Pokers:

last prize tourney
315010746 1.10 NLHE MTT 5408/810 1348thish 0.00 77<A6 aipf - once again, happy with my play. Missed some spots, but getting better at recognizing them and not really being affected as much by loses.
total of my $5.50 prize ended up being $5.50 - talk about break even poker.
but cool, I'll ship Venice the $2.36 ASB I owe.

Surf:

Jeffery's Bay, South Africa - where I want to be right now, and not just because of the World Cup.

fun ones again last night! Small windswell, head high on the sets again, but no real power to it. 4 others out! I love where I live! Unfortunately, it is flat today.

I genuinely feel like I am finally getting out of that crazy funk I've been in ever since I recovered that dead diver. I can finally say I am totally happy at the moment and not because of good waves or the US's improbable draw with England. And it is helping with my poker playing, though I still am only playing just a few games here and there. I am almost ready to do some actual grindage.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

SURF:

Picture: Ireland/Lahinch - another wanna be surf trip destination for me

PA rights: been fun wind swell the last few days, with some sets almost double overhead. I've got some sore shoulders from all the paddling!!!
Swell
14ft @ 9secs

POKER:
Despite my positive outlook and anticipation of some poker playing, I just haven't really played - just a .25 MTT for fun!
Watching the world cup (Brasil )and surfing too much I guess! I am definitely keeping tabs on the WSOP events of course - wtg Sammy Farha!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

surf:

Bali/Uluwatu - been there, don't think I'll ever go back, but so good!

small longboard waves this afternoon at the cove rights. sometimes, small waves can be so fun!

Poker: more min cashes lately. today was in the 1.10 PLO8. Just couldn't get anything going as I would go all in with a great draw to scoop, and end up with half. The internet goes out everyday at about 5pm for about an hour and the last two afternoons, I've been in MTT's and just going through the bubble at that time. Note to self - wait until after 6 to play MTT's or play earlier.

World Cup: can't wait for the US game tomorrow!
The Mexico/France game today was fun with Mexico winning.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Dublin area

poker camp Dublin in Sept. and surf trip for el tomano? Surfari goes to Ireland, that would be rad - (can I say rad in my own blog KT? lolz)

No surfing lately as it's been flat and windy, but the forecast is for some new swells on the way. btw, it was international surf day last sunday June 20th!

Poker: still haven't played a lot as power was out for a day and then internet was out for another. Country living at it's finest! That and I've been watching way too much World Cup to be paying proper attention to poker.
But some good results as of late - 2nd in my only one today - a 1.20 18 man. Ran 3 tables a few days ago - bubbled a 1.10 45, 9th in a 1.40 90 man KO and 2nd in a .25 90.
Winning a few more flips, not losing when way ahead and playing a little better. Still have a long way to go I find as I reread some of the strategy and HA posts. That 18 man would probably be a good one to post for a tourny HA review as I know I missed some spots. I got pwned head's up too, which sucked.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

photo: Ireland / Bundoran - September?

Surfed twice yesterday! Two short sessions - one out front of my house, which is a fickle wave with a sea lion colony on an island just a short distance out (makes one feel like shark bait when they are all high on the rock barking like they were yesterday) - and then later in the afternoon at Moat Creek, a mellow longboard wave.

Poker: Had a great session last night! Just fired up 3 games (1.40 KO 90 man, and 2 1.10 45 man turbos) - finished 4th in the KO and 3rd and 2nd in the other two. Not a bad run, though It was a little crazy when down to 3 players in one game, on the bubble of another, and leading the KO with 30 left. I guess I have got to get used to it if I'm going to try multi-tabling more games.
Played PAD finally. Always fun to play pokers with the surfers!
Investments: Nothing new atm, but a few BAS's still active.

World Cup: the US lost to Ghana! watching the Nethlands game right now, but I'm wearing my Brasil jersey! The only time I'll have a hard time cheering on the Netherlands is when they play Brazil, but then I'll be happy whoever wins. And of course whoever wins will be the Champion imho!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Mentawai / Macaronis - such a fun wave!

Surf - nada! That's why I'm dreaming of trips I've taken and trips on the horizon! Mentawai's is a past one!

Poker - been having some fun playing - went sort of deep in the 2.20 6 max MTT today 82nd out of 3000+ entrants for a decent $12 and lost a race that would have given me a top 20 stack. And then a couple of other small scores to even out the losses. I'm liking the micro mania month - lots of options! Yet, it is sad that I play most of the day for not even enough money for a movie and some popcorn. The idea is learning and improving, while not risking too much of the bankroll, and at least I've moved up from the .25 sng's and feel comfortable risking up to $2 (I keep taking shots at the 3.30's every once in a while, but it still hurts too much when I bust, which is funny as I think nothing of buying a $4 beer at the pub )
I have been really enjoying skype with the surfers these last few days. Nice to meet several of you!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Such an amazing weekend! 4th of July weekend is always such a happening weekend for my hometown, with a big fireworks show and a small town style parade. I made the fireworks show even more memorable by going out surfing right before dark and staying out to catch a wave in the glow of the fireworks that were being shot off the pier. It was amazing, to say the least.
and I played cricket this weekend - what a crazy sport!

that being said, not much poker being played, just a few of the micromania mtts. Think I'm be for the last four of them, but bitter as I had a decent run going and lost my connection for over an hour, only to get back with one bb left and finished 380ish for a little over $2. So sad! I hope that gets fixed soon!

Stoked to have received some prizes from surfers for June, mainly for doing the wsop updates and this blog. A big thanks to Venice! I'll have to figure out which tournaments I'm going to put that towards.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

One of my favorite views - looking out from the barrel!

I received a $10 bonus from Pokerstars and don't even know why. Cool! not going to complain about free money. And I am taking advantage of a promotion that Full Tilt is doing - just deposit at least $10 and they give you $10, simple as that. not bad! Don't know if I believe them or not, but deposited $10 anyways. I'll see if $10 more shows up in my account.
I've only been playing a few tournies as I've been a little sick. But the good news is that the internet hasn't gone out these last couple of days. I think it's been fixed. How sweet it is as now I can play some of my favorite mtt's that start in the afternoon and maybe start mulit-tabling a bit more.
My goals for July:
final table one of the micromania mtt's
play in the surfer's team event
continue to improve and learn

Old 07-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

surfed small, glassy beach break this afternoon, riding the single fin Wegener longboard. too much fun!

Had a good run in a micromania mtt last night, but fell a bit short of my final table goal, finishing 45th/2200 for $6.91. At least that made up for my flailing day. I think I still ended up down for the day, but only a buck or two.

The ones that made me think
1) the $1 6max mtt - I had a great stack, got it all in with AQ which made two pair, against J9s. He was open ended and had a flush draw, but I overbet the pot enough that I don't think it was profitable for him to call (pot was about 5k, I shoved for 8k on the turn, he called his 6k remaining stack with 12 outs (remaining spades and the other 8's - K's gave me a higher straight. I am trying to get this correct, so with 12 outs and one card to come, he was roughly 24% to win, thus needing at least 4-1. The pot of 5k, my bet of his stack size of 6k meant he was calling 6k to win 11k, not quite 2-1. This makes me feel better that I made him make a mistake. He got lucky.
2) I was 1/15 in a micromania 50man sng (7 paid) and went out 12th. All because I min-raised an unopened pot on the button and KJ<KJ of the bb, higher flush. I made an awful call on the end to lose most of my chips after that awful min-raise. Two mistakes lead to my downfall! I should have shoved pre and made him have to call for all his stack with KJ. He probably would have called and won, but then I wouldn't feel as bad for making dumb mistakes.

World Cup - can't wait for the final! I can't imagine how incredible it is for Dr. J, TP, DM, BR and the rest of the dutchies. Just win Netherlands!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Noosa, Australia

been surfing lots the last few days. It's been fun. Yesterday at the cove rights, the days before that at Schooner's for some small beachbreak.
I haven't been lifeguarding lately - long story that I don't feel like sharing here - but I have been picking up odd jobs here and there.

poker - I've been playing a little bit everyday. Started a stake for Dr.J, the BLT satties (5 x .55, though I did add a .60 super turbo in there as well) and have cashed 3 out of 4. In all 3, I was short stacked, holding on by my fingernails. Not sure if I like them or not.
Played some Rush and was doing well on a .02/.05 table, almost doubling my $4 buy-in until I ran two pair into a set. An all in overshove at the end after he slowplayed (kept check/calling) his hand just didn't make sense, until I saw his hand. I ended a couple bucks down. Then I played some Rush tournaments and bombed. Rush tilts me.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Tahiti - another place I must visit

poker: Well, I'm pretty stoked. I made the final table of a $2.20 8 game MTT, ending up in 3rd for $26 (out of 102 entrants). I guess one could call it a glorified sit and go with only 102 entrants, but being that it was an 8 game mix, I am really proud of my accomplishment. That was a grind, taking over 4 hours.
I also ran a stake of 5 sats into the BLT for Dr.J, and ended up cashing 4 out of 5. So, for a $2.75 stake, I ended it at $8.80. Now I have the BLT to do tomorrow and I'm feeling good about it.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Jordy Smith just won the J-Bay ASP contest and is now the world tour leader.

Still no surf here, just lots of wind, but a south swell is in the forecast for the next couple of days. WOOT!

Poker: Had a horrible day yesterday where I couldn't win anything(Went out of the BLT without winning a pot, which was sad as I was really looking forward to running that stake ), even though my volume was higher than it has ever been - I played all day, usually 2-4 MTT's and SnG's at a time. I can't tell you how many times AA and KK lost for me. But the funny thing is that when I took a break in the evening and took my dog for a walk, I felt good. I felt like I was playing well for me, actually learning some new things. I think that saying is true, the more you play, the less the beats really affect you. Of course it helped to be talking to some of my fellow surfers as I was playing. Skype is cool!
Today was much better results wise, though I only played 3 MTT's. I min-cashed the MTT that is the seed tournament for the team event, and I went sort of deep in the 1.10 PLO8, coming in 30th/1200ish for a whopping 4.60. I only played it while I was watching Robin Hood, one of the movies Smokin reviewed. Not what I expected (sort of braveheartish) but I liked it. (that's why I didn't jump on skype PB)
Overall, I feel a lot better mentally - I've been dealing with a little bit of post traumatic stress disorder from seeing too many dead people, that's why I haven't been working lately. one or two lifeguards covering 10 miles of coastline is a recipe for drownings to occur, especially on this rough coastline and I couldn't deal with another one.
I've come to accept that PTSD is a perfectly normal reaction for a normal human being who has to deal with abnormal circumstances. I just can't handle too much stress atm. It sucks, but now, not even bad poker days can get me down lol. Hopefully that doesn't mean I've got to go back to work! These days of goofing off and playing poker all day are fun! And thank you surfers for all you guys have done, mostly making me laugh. Peace!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

I can't get myself to play poker today - no motivation. Played into the wee hours last night, but made another final table. I took 3rd in a $1.10 Razz event. It was fun, but took almost 5 hours. For the first few hours, I was playing Horse, Omaha hi/lo and a micromania tournament as well. My head almost exploded. Too many different games! haha. I had a couple other min cashes yesterday and the day before in some of the micromania ones and came close in the 8game mix. Overall, I basically broke even yet again.

I was happy to finally win a surfers game - winning Game 2 of the team event. DrJ and I are currently in second in points. Woot!

Puerto Rico!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

I have had a few good days lately. Feel good, both in poker and life in general.
today, it's been sit and go's, everywhere from .25 to 2.25, 18man to 90 man, and I did play a 180. Have yet to win any, which is a little annoying as I'm focusing on them for the team event, but a few 2nds, some 3rds and several smaller cashes. Definitely up for the day. Played a lot more volume then normal. The .25ers are funny. I haven't played them in a while. All I can do is laugh. I was thinking I could fire up more tables and work on multi-tabling. I think I got up to about 9 tables - that was a little much for me, but 4-7 felt fine until getting down to the final tables.
The other good thing about playing a bunch of .25ers is that I didn't play to not lose. And the coolest thing happened, like a light came on in my head - a sort of detachment from results as I just tried to make the right plays. It was a nice feeling! I'm learning. I have a long way to go, but step by step. I'm not in a rush.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

New Zealand - drool!

Poker - Took a few days off this week after the team event as my nephew and nieces were in town. Dr. J and I finished 3rd in the team event with both of us losing with AA in the final event. Overall, it was a fun experience!
I'm still reading the Kill Everyone book and realizing I have a lot to learn. I think I may have to start over and read it from the start.
Otherwise, things are just going at my normal break even pace. I think I'm up a couple bucks today and doing ok in the $1 PLO8 mtt atm (77/225 with 144 paid)

Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

more New Zealand

Surf: Got a couple days of surfing this week, despite the lack of swell and am going to go hunt for some beachbreak up north tomorrow.

poker: I have kind of lost my desire to play atm. I didn't play at all monday or tuesday, and only one .25er and TP's freeroll today. For some reason, I feel refreshed.
I have a busy week ahead. maybe not a lot of poker, or if I do play, it will be minimal stakes for fun (isn't that what I play anyway?), but I do want to take another shot at the $3.30 ko's on tilt. The last time, I lost three of them and gave up. I need to work on my confidence. I know I have a lot to learn, but I am thinking that I am actually better than I give myself credit for.

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker