Surfers Poker, Poker Forum

Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Blogs and Poker Entertainment > Poker Blogs
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Staker Points: 2280.79
TPS: 18.77
Plays at : Hero
Game of choice : O8
Fav. Online Player : thorny frog
tomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forum
Send a message via Skype™ to tomano

Well, the surf was insane today! And that always makes me happy! And the forecast is for good waves all week! I love being a surf bum/poker player! Just wish I actually made money playing poker so I don't have to go get a new job.

I am on a bit of a downswing in poker lately. I even got a 90th today in a 90 man. That is pretty hard to get! But I am going to keep plugging along. I don't think I am playing all that bad. And it only takes one big score to change things in a hurry.
As Max told me, keep making +EV plays and don't worry about the outcome so much. It will come! The inevitable rungood! Can't wait! And if anything, I feel like a better poker player after this week. I am learning what it takes to make deep runs, to make money at this game, to ride the wave!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

tomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtomano Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

thanks to whoever rating my blog as terrible. 2 votes even. That makes me feel great! I don't really care, the blog is for me to track my own progress (the pictures are for whoever wants to follow along I s'pose)
Going surfing! cya!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

not too far away from home, so similar surf to what we've been getting

what a week surfwise - such amazing waves and brilliant weather, and it is supposed to continue for another week. I'm in my own little heaven as a surf/beach bum.

Poker is feeling a lot more positive the last few times I've played. I even hit quads twice in a 5 hand stretch. That was sweet.
but I am not playing a lot atm.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

John John Florence won the Volcom Pipe Pro

Poker - the last two days have been very good, but not highly profitable. Got deepish in the Daily Dollar yesterday, finishing 266th out of 18,000+ and had a good run in the 2.75 12.5k guar. today, finishing 64th/7309. So basically, getting deeper, just need to continuing improving. I know a good final table is looming in the near future. Maybe tomorrow in the BLT!

Surf: fun ones yesterday, but small today. Another swell is on the way tho

Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

well, here is an old picture of me surfing that someone just sent me on facebook - riding my longboard at a secret spot, setting up for the bowly section. Might surf there tomorrow actually. It can get kinda hollow at low tide on the right swell.

poker: still been giving the 180 mans a shot and seem to be doing better in them, though my deeper runs keep getting cut short. Played some 18 mans that went ok today, (other than the NLO8 18 man I entered by accident and proceeded to play terribly). I think I like the turbo 18 mans. I want to play some more and see if they are something I can beat regularly.
Just finished up a 90 man KO in 3rd that took forever- over 4 hours for a sng. But I finally ran well on a final table, getting extremely lucky a few times.

Surf: not much happening the last few days, but a couple swells on the way. Unfortunately, so are some storms which could make it junky. We shall see.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

A friend told me of this comic where a woman is leading a man by the hand to a ride at a carnival - instead of "the tunnel of love", it says "welcome to the tunnel of friendship". 2 for 2 in that regard the last few weeks. I was feeling a little down this morning and woke to read that I was cut from team frogger/max for lack of volume, which was inevitable. I've been so frustrated with poker lately that it is hard for me to play for all that long. I think I get a little too stressed out when I'm losing other people's money. I appreciated the coaching and wanted to do well.
So I forced myself to sit down and play 10 18 mans - meant to be 5 1.75s and 5 3.40s, but ran god awful and almost quit, but stuck to just 1.75s and rallied the last few games to end with a minor $4 profit, then played a 3.40 and got 2nd, so weee, finally a profit for a session, albeit a short sesh and a small profit: 11 18 mans +$17ish.
I think I like the 18 mans more than the 180s and could possibly grind these. I guess I need to figure out what direction I want to go now.
Just feeling a little directionless in life atm. jobless, suck at poker, have the travel bug. Need to go get a new passport as mine expired.
if its a midlife crises, I sure am looking forward to my hot young girlfriend
not getting a sports car tho!

at least I'm not this guy

Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

kind of struggling for motivation - everyday I watch a video or listen to a podcast and get fired up, but it seems as I start playing that I just lose interest real quick, especially after a bad beat or losing a big pot. The funny thing is I feel like I am playing better than I ever have before (which is still a long way from where I want to be), but I am also swearing a lot more than ever before- I keep scaring my dog with my loud outbursts of profanity. It just seems like I need to a breakthrough or something.
ah well, I guess I've got to get over myself. I started playing poker because it is fun and I like the challenge. Just because the challenge is challenging doesn't mean I should complain about it. Grow, Learn, Adapt, Win monies, but most of all, have fun!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

at some point, it no longer is a just a downswing. I may need to take a serious look at my game, or just play completely recreationally (obv I love playing poker and will continue playing no matter what). I am at the point where I am posting standard shove hands again as I am doubting everything I do. No winning sessions this week, though I have had some successes, so usually just small loses. I took today off (and most of yesterday) and it felt great! (though I had to rail some surfers for funz)

so some goals for this week:

- continue to work on the mental aspect. I heard on a podcast (cash plays) of a new book that is coming out that would be immensely beneficial. I have to listen to it again to get the title tho.

- sign up for a video training site - either tournament poker edge or deuces cracked it looks like.

surfing: haven't been surfing. It actually snowed on the coast here yesterday, so I elected to stay dry. The waves weren't that great anyways!

The ASP world tour has started for 2011 - the Quicksilver Pro in Australia.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

ok, make a final table, then post in blog!
3rd in a $1 1000cap for $97. pretty stoked tbh! really just wanted to final table something after several close ones lately. shippaments would have been nice of course, but I'll leave that for the next one!
Did try to sattie into the sunday million as a stake for DrJ and lost pretty quickly. ran my 1010 into a lagtard that woke up with KK. Oh well! went with my read and was wrong. what can you do?

surf: found some challenging beach break yesterday. wanted to go back this afternoon, but got busy playing poker. What can you do?

Snapper contest is going on!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

The Maldives - another future destination for sure.

I think today is my first losing day of the month - kind of cool to go to the 17th actually, though most of the days were essentially break even days or not playing days, lol. I really don't feel too good tbh and don't feel like playing anymore today. Time for a guinness imo.
But ran a stake for frogger earlier in the week, the turbo rush miniftops and cashed. That was a genuine confidence booster. I knew I could do it, or else I wouldn't have taken the stake, but stoked to get into the money and start dreaming of that 5 figure score. Went out like 343rd or something for a measly 2 figure score.
And this is going to sound weird, but I feel like playing potfarm on facebook is helping my poker game.

Surf: big waves lately, but not good surfing here locally, at least not for me in my out of shapeness. I'm not mentally/physically ready to handle 25'+ waves atm and all the current that goes with it. Today, it's smaller and junky, but should pick up huge again tomorrow afternoon.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Crazy storm hit the coast, the power just came on after two days. been hunkered down lately, reading "The Hobbit". Kind of nice not having internet for a few days - a vacation from poker and pot farm.

got berated in a $1 razz mtt today. so funny -
His comments are hilarious:

ScottGregoir [observer] said, " well played you stupid a**hole"
ScottGregoir [observer] said, "WAAAY behind but like always, Pokerstars loves to pay the stupid dumb f***s"
ScottGregoir [observer] said, "tom, go f*** yourself you stupid re-tarded a**hole"
There was more of course.
He then went on to find me at another table (FLO8) and berate me. Just lol!
I wonder what he would have said if I encouraged him.

here's the hand if u want to see what caused such outrage:
Pokerstars Game #59598681168: Tournament #376220974, $1.00+$0.10 USD Razz Limit - Level VIII (400/800) - 2011/03/21 22:21:43 PT [2011/03/22 1:21:43 ET]
Table '376220974 8' 8-max
Seat 1: FeltingYou (2400 in chips)
Seat 2: tomano252 (6800 in chips)
Seat 3: Snow Tigerr (9875 in chips)
Seat 4: sonopazzo (3860 in chips)
Seat 5: MAVIN (1490 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: brnsnd (5745 in chips)
Seat 7: gerhardt69 (4470 in chips)
Seat 8: ScottGregoir (1020 in chips)
FeltingYou: posts the ante 40
tomano252: posts the ante 40
Snow Tigerr: posts the ante 40
sonopazzo: posts the ante 40
MAVIN: posts the ante 40
brnsnd: posts the ante 40
gerhardt69: posts the ante 40
ScottGregoir: posts the ante 40
*** 3rd STREET ***
Dealt to FeltingYou [Kd]
Dealt to tomano252 [3h 2s 7s]
Dealt to Snow Tigerr [Ad]
Dealt to sonopazzo [6h]
Dealt to MAVIN [6d]
Dealt to brnsnd [8c]
Dealt to gerhardt69 [5s]
Dealt to ScottGregoir [4s]
FeltingYou: brings in for 120
tomano252: calls 120
Snow Tigerr: folds
sonopazzo: folds
MAVIN: folds
brnsnd: folds
gerhardt69: calls 120
ScottGregoir: raises 280 to 400
FeltingYou: folds
tomano252: calls 280
gerhardt69: folds
*** 4th STREET ***
Dealt to tomano252 [3h 2s 7s] [2d]
Dealt to ScottGregoir [4s] [3c]
ScottGregoir: bets 400
tomano252: raises 400 to 800
ScottGregoir: calls 180 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (220) returned to tomano252
*** 5th STREET ***
Dealt to tomano252 [3h 2s 7s 2d] [7h]
Dealt to ScottGregoir [4s 3c] [9s]
*** 6th STREET ***
Dealt to tomano252 [3h 2s 7s 2d 7h] [4c]
Dealt to ScottGregoir [4s 3c 9s] [8s]
*** RIVER ***
Dealt to tomano252 [3h 2s 7s 2d 7h 4c] [As]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
tomano252: shows [3h 2s 7s 2d 7h 4c As] (Lo: 7,4,3,2,A)
ScottGregoir: shows [Ah 6s 4s 3c 9s 8s Qd] (Lo: 8,6,4,3,A)
tomano252 collected 2520 from pot
ScottGregoir finished the tournament in 30th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2520 | Rake 0
Seat 1: FeltingYou folded on the 3rd Street
Seat 2: tomano252 showed [3h 2s 7s 2d 7h 4c As] and won (2520) with Lo: 7,4,3,2,A
Seat 3: Snow Tigerr folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 4: sonopazzo folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 5: MAVIN folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 6: brnsnd folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 7: gerhardt69 folded on the 3rd Street
Seat 8: ScottGregoir showed [Ah 6s 4s 3c 9s 8s Qd] and lost with Lo: 8,6,4,3,A

idk, got lucky. Had to share it tho!

surf: haven't surfed lately. Too stormy and junky.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

wow, really stormy here = crappy surf conditions and my internet keeps going out so don't feel like playing poker. I have played a little, just like 11 and 25 cent mtts and now some freerolls. The freerolls are making me laugh so hard.
But the fun news I have to share is that last night I bought myself a plane ticket - going to New Zealand for a surf trip, leaving on Cinco de Mayo and staying a whole month. Gonna be so fun! Keep singing to myself - "I've got a ticket to ride"

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

The internet connection has been fixed - weeeeeeeee! I can play poker again for more than pennies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did make a point in playing live in home games this past week - made a deal late last night HU as I was a 4-1 chip dog, sleepy and a bit drunk, and came away with $100 - 5x my original bi. That was fun! It looks like Tuesday nights will be poker nights around here, with the typical $20 bis with rebuys for an hour or two depending on if it's at the pub or at my friend's house. Not big bucks, but lots of fun.
So, been thinking of a challenge for myself - still working on the details, but figuring I would do this when the internet connection was fixed:
Maybe start with $55 and play .55 45 mans (100 buy ins), 4-8 tabling them and try to move up with just that money for fun, keeping at least 50 buy ins of any particular game that I am playing. So at $100, I will start playing 1.75 18 mans or something. idk, something like dat to keep me focused.

Surf: It has been fun here the last few days. So nice to finally get back in the water after a couple weeks of crappy conditions.

Raglan, New Zealand - one month away, but getting pumped

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

wow, I am a bit rusty after not playing much online lately, but still cashed 2 out of 3 .55 45 mans. I was going to fire up a few more but think I'll go enjoy the sunshine. Got a film job tonight, so may not get to play until tomorrow, but oh well. The challenge is off to a good start, even if I don't know my starting br yet.
bis = 1.65
cashes = 3.50
+/- = +1.85
challenge br (if starting with $55) = 56.85

I know it is a slow start, but going to ease back into it slow. Goal is to be playing 50-100 games/ week at first, increasing to 100-200 games. This is mostly a volume challenge with the goal of turning 55 bucks into hundreds, if not thousands. I am writing it down as I usually do something like this in my mind, and never follow through with it.

Surf: Timing is everything! paddled out for a high tide sesh this morning and surfed solo on some fun ones for over an hour before a friend paddled out. When I came in, 7 guys were all paddling out at once.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

poker: decided to start my challenge in earnest today. played 20 .55 45 mans in 2 sessions, taking a break to go surf and hang with some friends. still not a lot of volume, but getting there. I think I can shoot for 50/day playing turbos.
Sesh 1: 10 bi = 5.50 , 3 cashes = 5.50
Sesh 2: 10 bi = 5.50 , 2 cashes = 4.50
so br = 55.85 after a $1 loss for the day, which I don't think is bad considering I felt like I was running really bad, especially late.

It is so hard for me to not take breaks when beats pile up, which seems to happen when I'm multi tabling. But I keep going back to something Frogman said - something like, you're going to have to play a lot more games if you actually want to win money. I feel like I have an okay base to work off of, though I know I made mistakes today.
so, in my mind, today was a success. I didn't win money, but I got back into playing and despite low volume, I felt comfortable 4 tabling. Still don't know if I like these 45 mans, but they are cheap and I can concentrate on the volume aspect without worrying about money.

surf: no good today, bigger but funky

west java, Indonesia - sick surfing in a river

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

poker: well, a bit of a fail as far as my volume challenge is concerned. Played some on tilt today just for funz since it was 3x guar., but only 1 mtt.
sattied in for 40 ftp into the $1 main event satty. Definitely a long shot, but fun to try. Then played some live cash at the pub and broke even.
so 8 .55 45 mans played for the challenge on Saturday
bi = 4.40 , cashes = 14.50 , profit = 10.10 , br = 65.95

life: well, tried and failed with the woman I spoke of earlier in this blog. always knew the odds were stacked against me. Got the "I really want us to stay friends speech". Guess I lost!

Surf: another solo sesh this afternoon. So fun! I WIN!

Last edited by tomano : 04-04-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Ok, that last photo is too much. I don't think I like it anymore.

Poker Challenge: After a short, very positive sesh this morning, I felt like I ran like crap this afternoon and evening in every game but one, and that one I won. Not a lot of volume as it was a real nice day and had to go enjoy - it's always something, isn't it? 15 games tho. I think mondays are good day to start the week, so this week=15 games total. goal=50-100 games/week.
bi=8.25, cashes=12.50, profit=4.25, br= 70.20

it definitely seems to help to focus on one game, though I dreadfully want to move away from these .55ers, but I guess I'll see hideous play whereever I go in the micros - not that I'm much better.

surf: it's real small, but swell should start picking up tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

ok, daily update as of late:

poker: lost my tourney at the pub tonight. Flopped a set of 9's and shoved an all heart board Q98 when checked to and got called by two people, neither with a flush, and ended up losing to an inside straight draw-KJo. He did have the K of hearts tho.
Challenge: running like crap, but still doing ok.
10 games played
bi=5.50, cashes=7.50, net=+2.00, br=72.20, total games this week=25

surf: weak wind swell today, but swell increasing!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

challenge: wow, so flipping angry right now! the last 3, AA<KK 13th, AA<KQ 12th, and QQ runs into AA, AQ runs into AK to go from 3rd to out 15th. Not having a good day And I thought yesterday was bad, even though I ended up breaking even. Still working on tilt control. deep breath. I think this may be a huge leak in my game.
today so far- 0/5 - I give up for now.
yesterday- 15 games
bi=11.00, cash=8.00, net=-3, br=69.20 total games=45

surf = spring winds make the water a lot colder and the surf junky. Still fun, but hard to get motivated sometimes, but when poker is dealing me a kick to the balls. I would rather freeze them in chilly water! c ya!

Last edited by tomano : 04-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Challenge: woot, what a change from yesterday! But alas, only played 5 games this morning, then got busy doing other things - 4 ft's - 9th, 2 7ths and a 1st. Read a great article about ego on DC. Need to learn to not let my ego affect me. But met my minimum for the week at 50 games. Can't play atm - went to the bar after surfing, played some dice, lost some money, drank a lot of beer. I love when the guy you lose money to buys you beers. It seemed to all even out in the end. Now I have an old gf coming by to visit. Woot!
5 games played, bi=2.75, cash=+9.00,br=75.45

surf- another crazy, cold, windy day with some lumpy, big waves.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Poker: took a break from the challenge and played a few mtt's yesterday. Nothing exciting to report.
Challenge: met my goal for the first week of at least 50 games with a slight profit.
Week 1 : Total = 81 games, starting BR=55.00, ending BR=76.75
I won't report on my challenge everyday from now on. I just needed the motivation to get started. Week 2 is already off to a decent start with 16 games played today so far. We'll see if I have another sesh in me tonight. I definitely could put in a lot more volume if I cut down on my drinking.

Surf: the last two days have been real fun! Small, but fun! Spent a fair amount of time researching surf spots in New Zealand - three more weeks!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

poker: played quite a few 45 mans this week for my challenge, already over the minimum of 50 games that I set for the week - 66 so far this week.monday was good, the rest of the week has been tough.
completely lost focus the last 4 this morning and made some horrible plays, so took the rest of the day off and went surfing. challenge BR is right about $84 atm.

Surf: so fun the last couple of days. small, but real glassy, ripable waves. Tried to go abalone diving today, but my mask strap broke. So I went surfing instead. Good call!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

Wow, I was just thinking that I was enjoying kicking up my volume and even though I was running so so, I was excited about moving up in bis and maybe even take a shot at becoming the next johnny here at surfers, only to get completely derailed. Nothing I can do about it now! Good thing I leave on vacation in a couple weeks. one month in New Zealand, no computer - just my surfboard and a camper van in search of good waves and good times.
I think the shock will wear off here soon and I can move on to other things. I am sure I'll continue to log onto surfers, just as I will continue to play poker live. good luck to all surfers!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

back home after a month in New Zealand. Scored great waves! Meet a lot of really cool people! Saw some amazing scenery! Drove a lot, ate a lot of fish and chips! It was an amazing trip.
Started at a place called Mangawhai Heads, which had a river bar that had insane lefts. You drop into hollow lefts that peel down the bar for quite a way. I cut out of a couple waves and just shook my head at how amazing the waves were. And the town was great, just small and real laid back.
then I went to Piha, surfed the a fun left with about 6 women surfers (and about 10 dudes though). It was fun, but only lasted for a day and then it went flat, so I headed back to the east side.
Stayed at Mount Manganui for a few days, surfing junky beach break, but the water was warm and the town was pretty cool. Hiked to the top of Mount Manganui so I could check out Puni's Farm - a legendary surf break that I remember cover photos on Surfer Mag back in the day. It wasn't good that day but then I knew the wind was wrong for it. Just had to see it.
Went to Matamata while I was there and did the Hobbiton tour. Met a couple of English girls.
On my way back to the west coast, I stopped by Rotorua, then went to Lake Tuopo and did a thermal hike. It was crazy, steam coming out of the ground everywhere. Then I went to Waitomo, famous for the glowworm caves. I did do a hike with some great caves, but didn't go at night to see the glow worms, not did I do the tour - too costly and as it turned out, there are other glowworm caves that are a lot cheaper.
I then went to visit a friend of mine in New Plymouth in Taranaki. It was great to see her and met a lot of her friends. The surf was big and stormy while I was there. Had one day that cleaned up a little and got an incredible sesh at a place called Belt Road, a left in town that was a litlle over head and howling offshore. Not much of a barrel, but fun ripable waves. Surfed with a Scot dude and an Aussie woman that I had met. We were remarking that we couldn't be from further apart in the world and here we were traveling around together looking for waves. Pretty cool! I really liked the Aussie woman Rosy. She wasn't single though sadly.
Got tired of the stormy conditions and headed to Gisborne. It was sunny and off shore there! The waves were so fun. Surfed a place called Gizzy Pipe, a fun beach break where they had the Cold Water Classic, then checked out the Mahia Peninsula and a spot called Point Annihilation. The next day, surfed a beach break called whales on the Wainui Beach near Gisborne. It was so good - fast hollow beach break. Surfed until I was totally exhausted. the last day in Gisborne, surfed a different spot up the road a bit - a fun reefbreak/ beachbreak combo.
the swell was kind of dropping off, so I headed to Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula to do some touristy stuff. Built a sand hot tub at low tide - so cool. you just dig a hole in the sand on the waters edge and hot water seeps up. It has to be close to the water's edge so you can add some ocean water as the thermal water is too hot. Went on a hike to Cathedral Cove, where parts of Prince Caspian was filmed.
then I went back across to the west coast and scored an insane sesh at Manu Bay in Raglan with only about 5 guys out. It wasn't very big, just really fun longboarding. I cut up my foot pretty bad on the rocks on my way out though. the next day it went flat, so I headed north to visit a friend in Auckland before continuing north to visit another friend in Pataua, near Whangarie. Pataua is a real mellow area with a decent beach break. got a couple of real fun surfs there.
Then headed to Ahipara in the far north and scored amazing waves at Ship Wreaks. Such an amazing spot. Perfect left point break after perfect left point break. The further you hike out, you get to another left point break. Surfed at the furthest out the first day as it was pretty small, at a place called blue house and then surfed down to the next break called Pines. The swell picked up the next day and I scored the spot called Peaks. You pump down the line as fast as you can go and right when you think you have made it to the shoulder, it starts firing off again and you have to start jamming down the line again. So fun! The last day, surfed a fun longboarding wave called Mokies 2 that was so ripable - big carving roundhouse cutbacks were the move of that sesh. The waves went so long. definitely leg burners.
After that, it was just a slow drive back down to Auckland, saw my friends in Auckland one last time and then left.
So stoked! It was a great trip!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

back home after another journey.
Travelled to Vegas to meet up with DrJ and Willtakem for da wsop! It is a good time to be in Vegas as there are plenty of good tournaments happening in all the casinos and fun to see the pros in the WSOP events - by the end, I was walking down the hall and not surprised in the least to see David Benyamine walking next to me.
Poker-wise, I broke even for the trip and to me, that was a success. I don't have much experience playing in the casinos, but enjoyed it. (Can't wait to start playing live more! a few trips to the local casinos, maybe a trip to Reno/Tahoe in the near future.) It was definitely a great time and way cool to meet da Justice and Wayne!
Spent some time with the fam in San Diego, which included my niece's birthday party at a waterpark - always fun!
Back home to deal with some shizzle, but stoked to be home for the 4th of July weekend. Always a good party!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

I think I have serious problems. I can't play online poker, yet I am on surfers everyday, listening to podcasts everyday, following poker on pokernews everyday and now watching the main event on ESPN everyday, and to top it off, reading Jonathan Little's new book. I am going to have to drive over and play live very soon. I actually feel like I am learning a lot by not playing, just observing, reading hand reviews and listening to podcasts. Maybe I won't be so nitty when I get back in action.
Went night surfing last night in the full moon. It was so epic!
Have a date tonight! going to Harry Potter, ha - how old am I again?

ASP Jeffries Bay started

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

So, my "Harry Potter" date turned out pretty sweet. I've been dating her ever since and this week, we really turned up the heat on the relationship. I've fallen hard for her. New love! sigh, all I want to do is go see her. It has kept me from missing poker. I'll save you from all the mushy details, but definitely looks like I have a girlfriend now.
still surfing when I can. The surf has been meager, but a few days of longboarding to keep me in surfing shape.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

First a girlfriend, now a job - working with the after school program. It is only a part-time job, but that leaves me with plenty of surf time, and it is a step in the direction of getting back into teaching, which is the long term goal. My credential expired a while ago as I was busy lifeguarding instead, so I have to get that renewed first. I've been dragging my heels a bit as I'm still making money from disability and am really enjoying not working, but I guess it is time to get back to the grindstone. I'll be on the sub list this year as well.
Still no poker, not even our home game, but that should start back up this fall.
I am really happy. Life is good!

the pros are in Tahiti!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

actually played some poker last night - woot!
some .25/.50 cash - ended the night up $70 - won a huge pot against a drunk fish when I flopped trips with AJ on a KJJ (2 diamonds) board. He had air and was trying to bluff me.
Life has been going so well lately. I still miss online poker something fierce! I feel like I am just starting to make a breakthrough. I hate my job and am trying to figure out what I am going to do, but that is so secondary right now. I am still totally in love and spending lots of time with my girlfriend. Surf season is starting to heat up with a big swell hitting later today and another giant swell coming next week. I am happy, and maybe I won the lottery last night!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Verified Horse
Silver Supernova Staker

played some .25/.50 NLHE cash last night at the bar, walking away with a $44 profit. I guess I should be playing more at the bar - only played twice and am up over $100, though that doesn't include my bar tab. I am not doing anything special, just playing tight and betting my good hands, slow playing my monsters for a little bit of deception (ie 10 J on a 8 9 Q rainbow flop was good for about $20 against A Q, but even then I didn't hide it too much as I c/r the flop). I guess the only difference from when I used to play at the bar is that I am using position a lot more, playing a much wider range in late position. Next game is tuesday, but I think the girlfriend wants to go, which will keep me distracted for sure! But then again, playing .25/.50 is all for fun anyways. I am just happy that I feel much more confident playing than ever before!
we were laughing that a few of us were agonizing over a call that was less than the price of a beer, which we would easily toss on the bar for any of our friends.

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker