Surfers Poker, Poker Forum

Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Blogs and Poker Entertainment > Poker Blogs
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Staker Points: 3540.94
TPS: 294.175
Plays at : New Jersey
Game of choice : NLHE
RedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker Forum
Send a message via AIM to RedsoxNets5 Send a message via Skype™ to RedsoxNets5
Default RSN5 in 2012-2013

This is a continuation of this blog: http://www.surferspoker.com/showthread.php?t=67300 , which is a continuation of this blog: http://www.surferspoker.com/showthre...955#post600955

My goal to hit $1000 by January 1 did not exactly plan out; however, I think I can do it by January 23, the first day of classes for my college. I'm only at $23.56 to start the new year. I think what I'll do is put a goal for each day up and play until I hit that; obviously I won't press and play crazy if I'm not gonna hit it but this way I don't try to get it all at once. I did that a few times in the past and busted the small roll I had, over and over and over again. I like playing the $1.06 6 man super turbos; the play is terrible to the point that I'll fold A-rag in the BB when the button shoves early on because I know I can get into way better spots later on, whereas I'm probably calling there in a higher buy in since the edge in the late game won't be as big. I've had guys min-raise fold with a 1500 stack at 150/300. It's awesome. However it's still easy to run bad in those so I won't be surprised if I bust again at some point. I also will take shots at tourneys $3 and below in an attempt to get a quick score and boost to the bankroll.

Hero Poker: $23.56

Surfers Poker - Featured Sites
Old 01-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

RedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRedsoxNets5 Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

Just played a tourney way out of my bankroll limits with the $11 deep stack turbo. was 3/100 at one point with 600 runners but ended up taking 35th or so for like $36. Roll at $46.75 now and the daily goal was to get it to $40 so I'm there. Just watching the Nets game now might play casually though.

Hero Poker: $46.75

Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Just decided that I felt too into poker at 2:20 AM so I found an hour long techno mix and decided to play $2.12 6 man super turbo sngs, 6 games at all times (refilling busts and wins). I should definitely do that more often. I hit a hot streak in the middle after starting slow, ran pretty meh from 45-55 mins and once I hit 60 I wanted to play til I hit some level up thing on Hero which required another 2 or 3 games. Hit it to realize I got a $10 cash bonus! A very nice boost to the bankroll when it's under $100. Along with that (as far as I can tell anyway) I get a $15 bonus after another 900 VIP points. It took 1250 to get to the level I'm at so it's clearly very attainable, especially since I'm playing higher stakes now than I was before. I just won my last game for another $8.40 influx to the bankroll. Rivered a straight flush with 9c7c and 350 chips at 150/300 to triple to 1050 and eventually finish the comeback (22>34 on a A 2 3 7 4 board ). Total result of that session: started with $69.57, without the bonus finished with $84.53. Started with 1214.33 total VIP points finished with 1278.33. Each of those games awards 2 VIP points so that's 64 accumulated for 32 games. $14.96 profit on 32 games = 46.75c profit per game, or 22% ROI. I think that's high for super turbos but it really feels attainable with how I feel I understand just about every scenario and how bad the players are at this level. More than 4x'd the bankroll today. I'll probably keep grinding $2.12s until about $200 and then move up to the $5s.

Hero Poker: $94.53

Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Just played a small set cause I gotta do some housework now but just wanted to update that we're back in triple digits. First time since Black Friday, and at this time last year I had over $10,000 online. So it's taking some adjusting playing these stakes but the $2.12 super turbos are so encouraging because the play is SO BAD. It really becomes all about figuring out which type of player your opponent is because there really are only a few exceptions to the following two types of players: way too aggressive and loose or too tight, especially heads up. The guy I just played folded like 6 or 7 hands in a row at 200/400 when there are 6000 chips total in play. We were heads up. Allowed me to go from 2300 to 3700 down to 4000 to 2000 up and finish him off with K7>QJ. Swapping 2:1 chip leads without a showdown should almost never happen. But yeah short session, 8 games played, $8.24 profit (I think we went 3x1st and 0x2nd) to put the roll over $100. Lunch and a little housework now and then back to the grind. I think running at 10% ROI (just did some research seems like the best micro super turbo grinder on Full Tilt ran around 8% but I have to imagine competition is better there; idk. That just seems low but maybe that's me being optimistic after some run good) would be nice; if I play 30 games per hour that leads to $6/hr, which kinda sucks but once I'm rolled for $5 games that moves to $15/hr which would be excellent. I'll play this all by ear since I'll probably end up moving away from super turbos anyway like I always do; I get really motivated to play one specific game and then get tired of it and move away. But this is working well and I really need to buckle down for any chance at a decent bankroll so maybe the motivation will stay with me. Once I get back to college on the 9th I'll have my 23" TV again that I can hook up to my monitor and 8-tabling will be simple; it's all 6 tabling for now as I really need to tile (and by tile I mean overlap on my laptop) as opposed to cascading. I feel way better when I can see the action on every table and going from my 17" monitor on my laptop to 23" and the 17" will make everything seem much easier. I'm also going to have a lot of free time from the 9th-23rd since that is the duration of track preseason and the only people I know that will be in my building during that time are one of my roommates and our neighbor. We'll see what happens though.

Hero Poker: $102.77

Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Probably shoulda binked $200 today but QQ<JJ for 380K with <1M in play took that away...I don't know why 2nd place was so after me but he was 3-betting every time I opened. The top 3 were way ahead of the field with 8 left but he just kept pounding me and I kept folding til this one and he rivers the J. Sigh tourney poker took 8th for $20ish 1st was $208 or something. Still profited on the day. Gonna grind the $2s til around $200, although I might play $5s at very low volume to try to reach $200 quicker. What I did today was at $120 played 4 $5s and treated it as though I had $100 less than what I really did so that as soon as I went under $100 I had to stop. And that's what happened so I stopped. The goal is $1000 by January 23 when classes start up again. Definitely attainable but I'll have to bink a tourney or two so I can move up stakes soon.

Hero Poker: $107.83

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Today started up, was meh in the middle, and 'finished' strong. Finished in quotes because I'm probably just gonna stay up all night since I've had a really tough time sleeping lately. Yesterday I fell asleep at 4:30 or 5:00 A.M. and woke up at 1:30 P.M. I definitely don't want to get in that pattern so my hope is that I'll be able to make it through tomorrow and have to go to sleep earlier after being awake for 30+ hours. I'd rather my parents not know about my sleeping troubles so I'm not sure how I'm gonna hide from them while they get ready for school (they are both high school teachers). My dad teaches at a school an hour from our house so he gets up at like 5:30 or earlier to leave at 6:15 or whatever, and then my mom is usually out of the house before 8:00. That leaves a nice 2 hour gap where they scramble around getting ready. It's not uncommon for them to poke their heads in my room before leaving so I'm not in there, not that I've slept in there during the winter break yet anyway. I'll probably just pretend to be asleep in the spare room or make up some excuse for why I'm up so early. ANYWAY...

It's just a matter of time that I bink a tourney for 2 or 3 hundred. Today's casualty was 23rd in a tourney with about 300 entrants. I shoved 13 BBs from the SB with A8o and got snap called. Thought process during this type of hand: "I have to shove the ace but I hope he folds. *snap call* Ah shit alright well if it's a pair I need an ace and if it's an ace I need an 8. *he shows A4o* Uh I'll probably never get that call but alright gotta be happy when donks donk. *xx4 flop* Well flipflipflipflip me." Woulda put at average stack with 20 or so left. First was $350ish. Nothing I can do but keep playing. I've come pretty close considering my very low tourney volume thus far. I'm also doing pretty well with the super turbos. The only thing that confuses me is that my sharkscope graph says I'm up like $70 or something on Hero. Granted I've won a lot of those dinky little $5 PLO freerolls but not sure how that would add up to $100 excess that doesn't show up there...I've played a little cash too but nothing too crazy. Eh whatever though I'm happy with the bankroll. The goal of $1000 by January 23rd is looking pretty good but I'll feel way more comfortable if I can hit $500 by the 9th when I got back to school. All we can do is hope to hit that nice little tourney score though! Either that or run so amazingly well at sngs. I'll most likely be playing more poker now to stay awake but I'll post the bankroll as it stands at this moment.

Hero Poker: $174.85

Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Took 8th in another tourney, had a big stack on my direct left 3-betting me often and I kept folding (sound familiar?). So eventually I picked up ATs in the SB, folded to me, I raised to 3200 (it was at 600/1200 and I had about 24K vs his 80K or so), he shoved, I snapped, he had A8s and hit a flush on the river. I then fell asleep at 1PM and slept til like 8. Guess my parents ended up figuring out I stayed up all night anyway. I tried to stay up all day but it didn't work, but I think I will be able to fall asleep now. When I woke up I played a little poker and finally broke through, winning a $3.30 deep stack turbo with 330 runners for a little over $200. I wanted to play a little now to boost the roll to an even $400 but I'm too tired at this point. The $1000 goal by the 23rd is looking very good right now but I will need another 2 or 3 tourney wins. However I can play $5-$10 tourneys very comfortably now and even shot-take with $15 or $20s on occasion so it might even only take 1 or 2 tourneys. Bedtime.

Hero Poker: $391.98

Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Starting today with $312.57. Played a bunch of $10.50 supers and ran like death. Gonna stick with $5.30s for quite a while. I can definitely still beat $10.50s but I don't think my roll can handle the variance right now. Got really drunk last night and ended up in really weird and awkward situations due to my insomnia, so I'm somewhat tired and annoyed that I didn't just stay home. I've definitely lost my scholarship but my I was at least able to tell my parents that I failed a class and they seem to know that I will probably lose it. Probably not gonna tell them that it's definitely gone until absolutely necessary just cuz it really sucks to let them down. I'm close enough with my parents that it's not so much "aw man I'm gonna be in trouble" it's more "I hate to disappoint them." Live and learn I suppose. Just gonna 6-8 table $5.30s now. Already running terribly (3 handed the other 2 get it all in vs each other 5 different times and short stack wins every one. I go 0-2 vs shorties and bust kinda stuff). I'll post bankroll as it was before session started.

Hero Poker: $312.57

Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

So I pretty much lost all the profit that came from that tourney bink. I think I'm being a bit too ambitious when it comes to tournaments, remembering the glory days when dropping $500 in a day wasn't that uncommon or detrimental. Now $100 is a huge chunk of my roll so losing 7 $15 tourneys or whatever is not an option. But I did that yesterday so the roll has taken a hit. However, the day did end in me getting really drunk and having a good time so I can't complain too much. Still a bit hungover but I'm going to play poker for the next hour or so and then my friend is coming to pick me up to play some basketball. In January you say? It's like 60 degrees here I've been walking around in shorts and a T-shirt. Hang on gonna look for official weather report...yep 62 degrees and sunny in good ol' Trenton, NJ. Haven't even come close to seeing snow this winter. I honestly would be fine if it was 62 degrees for the entire year long (except maybe keep summer the same for the beach ). Anyway, poker time, not sure if I should play $5.30s or $2.12s with my roll. Probably should plays $2s but I'm probably gonna play $5s. Let's not run bad today!

Oh and one last shout out: Good luck to Joe "dude904" ______ (not sure if I should include full names here?) in the PCA Main Event which started a few minutes ago. Really tough life you got there playing a $10,000 buy in poker tournament in the Bahamas in January.

Hero Poker: $214.77

Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Getting killed! Yesterday was the first time I got a taste of how frustrating it is to lose every flip and most of your hands where you're favored. It was just really painful. I was losing flip after flip, trying to keep my head up though, and then in back to back hands on different tables I lost as a 93% fave on the turn and as a 95% fave on the turn. I've been handling it pretty well though.

On a real life note, I played basketball yesterday and I'm sore as hell right now. It was a bunch of my friends from high school and a lot of them were athletic but not skilled at basketball so it made for some interesting games. I got fouled pretty much every time I went to the basket but it typically because someone didn't understand the game and would just slam me. I decided to let those go cause if I called it every time the game would run so slow. After about 4 or 5 games 5 guys walked over and called next game. There were 3 little quick Asian guards, a Hispanic dude who was about as tall as me but most muscular, and a 6'3"-6'4" ripped black guy who looked like Dwight Howard. When they were shooting around he started dunking, and one of our friends told us he knew him and that he played for his school. That was scary until he told us he just played for the local community college. My friend Will and I ended up shutting him down; I even had a really big block when he got close to the rim one time. I don't think we had any business winning that game but it ended 16-9 which is actually a pretty big win.

After the game my friend drove 3 of us home. He has a jeep and when he passed the turn we needed in the park my one friend said "You won't just drive across the grass field." So obviously he turns left and now we're bouncing around on this grass, going 30-40 mph and heading fast at a small hill. We let him know it's coming closer and he acknowledges it but doesn't slow down. My buddy and I are in the back seat and we fly up against the roof. He slams his head and I blast my leg on some metal pipe in the back. According to the driver we definitely got a few feet of air; I was too discombobulated to notice it. Crazy shit but good times.

I go back to school tomorrow so it will be more prep than poker but I'll still get some in. Hopefully I don't bust the roll .

Hero Poker: $134.97

Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Mainly updating to say I am at school, had a practice today it went alright. 4 x 1600m with 60 second break between each. Splits went 5:48 5:52 6:02 5:59. Not good that I slowed down but I was only supposed to be hitting 6:00 for each so not the worst. Also posting just to point out that I now have my 17" laptop monitor and 22" TV monitor hooked up together so it'll be easier to multi-table than with just the laptop. Gonna 6 table $5.30 supers now and see if I can up it and how they go and all that. Out of my first game before the rest started with AK<A7 and 44<A3. Been running like that for the last 4 or 5 days so hopefully that stops soon. Bankroll is as was before I started playing today. (Bad beated out of another 2 while writing this lol gotta stop soon right?)

Hero Poker: $155.37

Edit: Bad beated 5 out of 5 to bust with the 6th one still running. Got 2nd in one lol 5 out of 5 really? And 2-2 into 9-9 blind vs blind with 20 BBs in play 5 handed. Alrighty good start.

Last edited by RedsoxNets5 : 01-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Busted the Hero Poker roll just can't really be annoyed with it anymore. When my roll hit $125 I played strictly $5.30 6 max supers like if I'm gonna lose ~25 buy ins in a soft game like that I don't really wanna keep playing. I need to focus a shitload more on school at this point anyway so it's probably a good thing. Definitely still playing at the live game though. Bought it for $100 at 25c/50c yesterday (it was all I needed to cover the table). Started well, had stack at about $150, then lost about $20 on a somewhat funny hand that started with me straddling to $1. Five or six of the eight at the table limp so I make it $7 to go when it gets back to me with KJo (BILL FILLMAFFFFFFFF!!!!!!). Two call (one who said "I'm shoving if you raise!" who had about $60 behind) and flop comes A 7 3 rainbow. Pretty dry board and I can def rep AT-AK so I bet $13.50. I guess pot was about $25 before that. Kid who talked about shoving minraises to $27 leaving himself $25 behind. I was probably gonna have to fold either way since he's almost never folding to a shove, but the 3rd guy shoves for about $60 total and makes it very easy for me. After a mini-hollywood I fold and the other guy makes a speech about how he guesses he's priced in and then says "well if you have a better set then I guess that's just how it goes" and calls. He flips 3-3, other kid flips A-7, set holds vs top 2. A few kids asked what I had and I just shrugged and said K high. I'm always the "crazy" one at the table cuz I"ll always be laughing and talking while I play, but it gives me the image of a maniac which wins me big pots later in the night. Almost everything I do is at least somewhat calculated and will work against players of the caliber at that game. I'll probably just keep my mouth shut when I turn 21 and play live. Anyway, I found it pretty funny that I'm firing $13.50 in a 25c/50c game at a flop that looked dry and guys flip A7 and 33 on an A 7 3 rainbow. Anyway, stack ends up below $100 and someone ends up higher than that so I add on another $100. I ended the night cashing out $255, which includes giving a kid $10 in chips to get food. I gave the dealer another $5 bill so I'd just get 2 hundos and 3 20s back, then lost $10 running really bad in dice (I will never lose more than $10 on something that's pure chance like that haha) but I took that from my non-poker bankroll, so I'm gonna call it a $60 profit in the end. The profit came from a hand where someone raises to $2, one caller, and I call as well. Flop comes 5 6 K and I have 7-8...kid bets $4 I flat another flats. Turn 4 kid bets $8 one fold I flat. Turn T (no flushes) guy bets $12 of his $30 or so. I think for a second then announce all in, he snap calls and doesn't flip 7-8 so I was happy (he had 5-5). Nice way to end the night. I'll take $60 in 3 hours though good way to start the semester.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Lost $190 last night in the live game after being up $140 the first 2 nights combined. Made 2 bad reads and that was pretty much the summation of the night; I ran very bad (tweeted during the session that I hadn't counted but an estimate at it would say I didn't flop a pair or draw 15 consecutive flops seen...pretty insane number but I think it was right around there) but without those 2 bad reads it wouldn't have been a bad night. First bad read came when I straddled to $2 (we were playing 50c/$1), and my friend who I know solely through this poker game opened to $7 and gave me a little smile, kinda saying I'm gonna attack your straddle when you do it. He's not a great player from what I've seen but yesterday he seemed pretty solid. So he makes it $7 and my buddy Ryan who hosts the game and deals and usually doesn't play but did yesterday, make it $17 from the SB. The BB cold calls and I kinda laugh and tell everyone I didn't look yet blah blah blah. Then I look down at 8-8 and look up and laugh again since I actually have to think about it. I decide Scott (guy who made it $7) is passive to the point that he's almost never 4-betting here, and I'm gonna win heaps if I hit an 8, so I decide to gamble and flat. Scott flats. $68 in the pot and flop comes down 2 6 7 w/2 spades. Ryan checked blind before the flop (pretty strange from a 3-bettor) and James (cold caller) checks as well. I think for quite some time before acting since this pot is pretty large for 50c/$1 and the flop is so tricky multiway with 88. I argued with Ryan later about how I should feel about that flop; he told me I should've loved it with those 3 undercards but I insisted I'm looking to flop a set and this flop can get me in loads of trouble.

Anyway I finally decide on a $33 bet. The thinking is that Scott was simply attacking my straddle (he almost never folds to 3-bets so the additional call didn't mean anything to me). Ryan's 3-bet scared me but with AA or KK or really any pocket pair I don't think he's ever checking blind. So AK-AQ hands seemed more logical. He's also pretty tight so the small-by-cash-game-standards 3-bet definitely repped a hand to me, but I ruled out high PPs on the blind check. And who the hell knows what James is flatting cold vs a 3-bet with. So I have to bet, and it doesn't have to be huge to make hands that missed fold in a multi-way pot. So all that being said, Scott snap calls and the other 2 fold. Turn is off suit J. The pot is quite large now at $134 and we both started the hand right around $140, so we both have around $90 in front of us. Looks like a bet is going to have to be a shove at this point; I don't really like anything else since it commits you but allows your opponent to come over the top in a strange situation. So now the question is check or bet? As I said before Scott is very loose-passive so I'm pretty sure there's a good chance he'll check behind if I check. I think a hand like 7-8 is quite possible here from him, but 7-6 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Scott also has an unbelievable record of calling crazy amounts preflop with 2-2 and hitting an uncanny amount of sets. I mentioned 2-2 to him preflop after he said something like "this call is so bad" and he gave me a half smile. So that was in my head too. Looking back I think I should have shoved but I didn't; I checked and so did Scott.

River was an offsuit Q and if I'm going to check the turn I think I have to check the river here to and hope to showdown. I think Scott checks a missed draw a lot too; I've never seen him make a big river bluff. He went to his chips quickly and bet $53.50. I thought for quite some time and just decided he's not the type of kid who's going to bluff big on the river. I've never seen him make that sort of play before and I didn't really think he'd dare to do it against me. I was thinking an 8-9 of spades type of hand was definitely possible but that he just isn't going to bluff that big with it; he'd make it $25 or something weak like that and I'd call. So I finally fold and he asks if I want to see, I say yes, and he shows 5-3 of spades for a missed inside straight and flush draw.

The 2nd bad read came against Scott again. Long story short, I had QT, board came A K T J A, he showed lots of strength the whole hand and almost jumped at the river ace. He bet the river only about $6 or so and I quickly raised to $15, thinking I could milk more money out of Ax and have a clear fold on a big raise. The big raise came quickly (I probably should've picked up on the speed of the bet which was the same as the 5-3) and I decided to make a very mature and disciplined fold despite my urge to tilt. He immediately flipped over 7-3o and raked in the pot. That one tilted me. It was Scott just saying "I am not afraid of you and am going to river 3-bet you on a huge board...I have your number." This is a kid I'm probably up about a grand on over the last year and he just was the man yesterday. It was pretty crazy but combine runbad with Scott just coming out of his shell with me making some very bad reads and you come up with a short-term loss for me and a very confident Scott who is not going to be afraid to get in big pots with me in the future. I like my odds in that scenario. Hopefully this night will simply lead to bigger profit in the future.

I'll end with a short summary of my real life situation as of late. I've been seeing a psychologist and actually don't mind sharing that with anyone. It has a very negative stigma to it but it's just really relaxing for me to be able to talk about whatever shit I've got going on to an unbiased 3rd party who can give useful feedback. Everyone has that stuff in their lives that sucks and they have to deal with, and I think everyone could really benefit from talking to someone about it; maybe not necessarily a specialist but just someone. I realized I was pretty lonely here at college in the sense that there was almost on one I could actually talk to about my shit. I had a lot of friends who I could hang out and have fun with but just not many people who I could really talk to. My mindset is much better since last semester and I've been working pretty hard in school. Also taking running much more seriously. I've ran 35 miles now in the last 4 days and been busting my balls in the workouts. I run the 3K (3000 meters, slightly under 2 miles) on Saturday and would be happy with a sub 9:30 time. My younger brother ran 9:22 for his college (he goes to a different school) last week so I want to at least be less than 10 seconds behind. Kinda sucks he's crushing me like that but again, I wasn't very serious last year and I think it's just a matter of time before I'm back in solid shape. That's about it, I'll probably update this on Thursdays to talk about my Wednesday night games. Hope poker and life is going well for everyone.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

I ran over the game last night then lost half my profits on the very last hand SO frustrating but I was on all night which was fun. One of the first hands I pick up AJo. Blinds are 50c/$1 and the uber tight player at the table minraises to $2 utg. We were 6 handed and 4 call before it gets back to me in the BB. Raising big is an option but I chose to flat and take the flop which was A J 4. SB checks I check tight player checks spewy player bets $7 folds to me I make it $17 tight player folds spewy calls turn 9. Two hearts on the board. I bet $22 into the $44 pot and spewy player makes it $50. I bought in for $250 and he for $140 so he has about $70 behind him. I think about it for a while and decide if he has 44 so be it but otherwise I think I'm good; A4 seemed very likely as did A9 or even something like AK/AQ. I shove, he tanks for a long time then calls. I ask if he wants to show in case he has some kinda combo draw so maybe we run it more than once but when he flipped A2 I decided running it 20 times woulda been fine, I was getting it all either way. So my stack was around $400 which is where it stayed almost the whole night. I don't think I was ever below $375 or above $430 the entire night after that until the last hand. The spewy player eventually busted again and didn't rebuy again, and a friend of mine who is also the roommate of the dealer who sometimes buys in for $40 just to have fun busted, so we were 4 handed. At 11:40 someone said they had to go so the 3 who were left agreed to play 3 handed til 12:00 and then call it a night. At 11:56 I pick up QQ in the SB. Button who has been somewhat tight makes it $2.50, I raise to $7.50, BB folds button calls flop is 2h 6h 7h. After a quick suit check I see they are both red and bet $11 and get called. Turn blank (3c maybe?) I bet $17 he calls. River Jc and I decide to slow down and check. Maybe a 3rd bet would be better where I can fold to a raise but block a bigger bet from 2 small pair or a straight but idk I checked. He bets $35 pretty quickly. I probably should have folded but he had made a few funky value river bets earlier in the game. One hand vs me he rivered a 2 and bet for value after I checked. I snap called with 6s and asked him why he bet the river. He tells me he thought I could have ace high there. So now AhJx is in my head as a very likely hand. He also coulda just missed the flush totally. But in the back of my head I knew the made flush was very possible as well. I eventually talked myself into a call and he flipped Ah5h. I was really frustrated with myself after that and walked out a $75 winner after a night that looked like it was gonna be at least +$150. I'm now +$25 in 4 total nights with 3 winning sessions and 1 bigger losing session. Frustrating but gotta keep my head up. Wish this game ran every night I think it'd be good practice for when I turn 21 but such is life. Can't wait to be 21 less than 4 months now!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Well I lost $220 Friday night to bring my semester total to +/- 0. Sigh. The most frustrating part was the fact that the game broke up about 2 hours in because one guy had a family issue that had to be taken care of and he had driven 3 of the other guys at the game. We were playing $1/$2 and I expected a full table based on how my friend who deals the game was talking, but I think he's gotten so used to not having many and having to convince the few that are going to come that there's a lot, that he's even lying to me at this point, and it's starting to piss me off because I've been to every game regardless of how many people. So the fact that he feels the need to sugarcoat the numbers to me is really annoying. ANYWAY, the lineup ended up being me, the kid who dealt the game last year, and three of his friends, all of whom I've played with before and all of whom definitely understand the game. However, I think they all think they're on another level the everyone else when in reality they just beat the lower stakes in AC. The definitely do get the game though and it leads to some fun pots.

I bought in for $200 since I thought the table agreed to do so, and then a guy named Steve (26-27 yrs old, married, multiple 5 figure live tourney scores) busts out a wad and buys in for $1000 (there's no max on this game). Blinds were $1/$2 but the 4 friends I was playing with kept creating rules and just assuming I would be okay with them. I didn't want to look intimidated so I just kind of went with it, and I didn't hate the rules I would have just rather played what the game was advertised to be. So the first 2 rounds ended up being $1/$2 with a mandatory straddle which was usually $4 but Steve typically just threw a red chip out there. The other rule they enforced was you had to show 1 card after you won a pot, which kind of hurt the tight image I was attempting to give off when I had to flip a random card when I 3-bet light or whatever, but it also gave me info on them. I fluctuated a while before ending up around $120 and adding on another $200. There were 3 or 4 big/key hands, all of which went against me, that accounted for my losses; without those I probably would have been up on the night. And I was really beginning to pick up on everyone's tendencies and how they perceived me, so it was super frustrating when they all left early. But anyway, onto the major hands.

The first one I can remember ended up with a T J x 8 Q board, I had air, and ended up having to check fold the river. I actually was more afraid of the AK than the 9, but the way the kid I was against played, I could totally have seen him on air the whole hand. I think I was flatting the whole way in order to make a river bluff, but the board just got so absurd that check fold was the only play. He showed a K and later told me it was AK and I fully believe that. I probably lost $60ish on that hand (maybe more I don't remember that one too well).

Second hand came against the same guy, who was on my immediate left. I make it $7 with JJ, he 3 bets to $22ish. He hadn't been 3-betting much so I gave him credit for a real hand. Another guy flatted so I did the same to take a Q 8 5 flop w/ 2 diamonds. First guy checked I check and then Dave checked as well behind me and we took a Q turn. First guy checked and now I decided I could easily have the best hand and a bet was in order. With about $70 in the pot I think I bet right around $35 and got called by Dave (fold from the other guy). The river came an offsuit ace and I tried to break down what Dave had. The problem with this spot is if I check he can bet just about any 2 cards profitably; my check would look so weak to the point that he can value bet any ace, obviously bets a Q, and can bluff random flush draws that didn't get there. I decided to put out a $50 blocker bet but in retrospect I don't really like the play. As I said earlier Dave was not 3-betting often. Would he 3-bet 99 or TT (hands I'd like to blocker bet against?). I don't know but I don't really think so; I think he'd flat with position and be happy. Would he do it with KdJd? Probably not. So what does he 3-bet that I beat here or that folds to that bet? He called and flipped AdKd which at least made me feel better than AxKx but was still kind of frustrating it had to come out. So that pot was over a $100 loss that could have easily gone to me.

A third hand was again against Dave and involved 2 trash hands battling each other, me making an okay read until the river and just getting boned. I raise to $7 on the button with J9s he calls flop A 6 4. I c-bet $13ish after he checks and he flats. Turn 3 he checks and I again bet, this time around $24 and he again calls. River comes a 5 to put 3 4 5 6 on the board and he bets $15. It looks very bluffy so I raise to $45, he snap calls and shows J7. So ya know the flop and turn decisions from him were interesting and I usually just take this pot down, even when he calls me all the way and simply doesn't get there.

The fourth hand came against a guy I play with a lot who simply likes to gamble and doesn't really understand poker but likes to throw money around. Scott was the only guy who came after the original 4 showed up, so we were 6 handed during this hand. Steve raised to $8 and I made it $24 with JJ. Scott flatted and Steve folded for a 5 6 A flop. Checking for fear of the ace doesn't seem right here, especially given Scott's crazy range for someone flatting a 3-bet. So with $60ish in there I bet $25 and was immediately raised to $80. I just sighed and assumed he must have hit his ace and I folded. He then showed a 5, so I asked him if he could possibly have had 5-5 there. He laughed and told the dealer to flip the other one, and it did prove to be a 5, showing that he flopped a set vs my JJ and an A 6 4 flop would have led to a win for me. Another $50 out.

So in recap, the 4 big ones I lost were JJ vs AK on a river A, J9 vs J7 on a river straight, random bluff vs AK and a river straight, and JJ vs 55 on a 5 flop. So despite being down $220 I was very ready to add on/ play with the $180 in front of me and get my money back. And then Dave walked out, said his brother was in some shit, and took the whole game with him. Very very frustrating. But thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's poker!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Lost $50 Wednesday night and $200 Thursday night. Down $250 on the semester. Just a lot of annoying stuff and unavoidable stuff. Had a lot of playable hands early on Thursday, started the night up about $100, and it just started spiraling when I got KK in on a 4 7 T flop vs a crazy maniac who flipped 7-8 and ran turn 9 river 6. I was still up like $20 after that hand but couldn't make anything work. Got a bunch in preflop with 8-8, which I normally wouldn't do but it was against the same crazy maniac, and he woke up with JJ. Those hands become really tilting when a third guy starts whining about how unlucky he is that after he folded AK a K hit the flop. Like brooooo I'm the one losing money.

Anyway I still feel pretty confident about my EV in that game; everyone sucks and I've really been going through some sick hands and stretches of several hours where I just see no cards. And the fact that betting people off their hands is so incredibly difficult makes winning almost impossible during those stretches. However the fact that no one folds is great for when I do start catching cards again, so hopefully that's soon. BR at $750 there which is borderline uncomfortable given I'm often buying in for $200. I might just start buying in for 100 BBs no matter what, whereas I usually just make sure to cover everyone at the table. Then I'll just nit up and cash in when I catch hands. I already know one of the other thinking players just NEVER gives me credit, and I've shown him some bluffs so if he continues to come I'm just gonna rock him. He's not a terrible player but he thinks he's way better than he is and he also has the wrong idea about reads and hand ranges. He just always thinks everyone should be tighter than they are and is very critical of someone who gets to a showdown without a monster. I've been trying to take advantage of this but he's often calling me down light lately. So I plan on just betting the same way when I finally do start catching hands and capitalizing.

I started playing Merge again yesterday since my funds are getting very low in real life. I'm hoping I'll be able to cash out when I eventually build a roll; just a $200 or so check would really help me out at this point. Pretty depressing given my bankroll last year but I'd prefer not to touch my live bankroll or my savings account and I only have like $200 left in my debit account which I was planning on carrying me to the end of the semester in early May. $200 is gonna be tough for 2 months given I had about $500 to start the semester in early January. So a $200 check would definitely get me through to May. I also was hoping to have a $2000 bankroll by June 7 to start my live casino career but that's gonna be very tough. Still doable though.

As for online I had a bunch of points and tickets left since the last time I busted my roll. I cashed in about 550 points for $6 and noticed that I had 18x$1.08 DoN tickets. I played 10 just now and won 3. Pretty tiltworthy to get beat that bad at $1 DoNs but I don't think I really made too many mistakes. Some stuff like AA<99, QQ<KK, AJ<AA (button vs BB 6 handed), and 44<88 on 4 8 J flop were pretty rough and led to that type of beating. However that does put my bankroll at $12. I had cashed a $3 tourney earlier too (using 300 points) and played 2c/4c cash but busted that $5 or so. I think I'm gonna want to focus on 2c/4c cash after I use all the tickets and points. Hopefully I can win 4-6 of the last 8 $1.08s then start the cash games with a $20+ bankroll. Obviously 5 buy ins isn't great but you gotta work with what you can. I'm definitely not going to be restricted to cash because every time I try to focus on something I inevitable start playing something else, but cash won't take up all my time and it's probably what I'm going to play primarily in casinos so I really need to get used to the fixed blinds and type of players I'll see. I've realized you really have to think about poker a lot differently when you're playing donks in cash live. C-bets don't work too often, raising to 3x or 6x will often get you the same amount of callers, and guys just aren't thinking as hard as I tend to give them credit for. I've also had to bluff much less frequently since it rarely works. Reads are also more important since finding the thinking players and adjusting your play vs them compared to the morons is important. C-bets and 2nd barrels on the turn might work vs a thinking player where you have no shot with getting it through vs a donk. It's all a learning process but I really hope I'll be ready by early June. Time will tell!

Hero Poker: $12.00

Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Went 5/8 last night in DoN's to boost the bankroll to $22. Don't have much time to talk though because I gotta get homework done which is gonna suck...class at 2:00 but 11:30 track practice which will run to 12:30 at the very earliest. Definitely don't think I'll have time to finish this work but gotta try! I'm out of the $1.08 DoN tickets so it looks like I'm going to have to work with the $22 bankroll. Going 8/18 in the $1 DoNs is pretty tiltworthy but meh I ran pretty bad in that first set of 10. Oh well. I'm tempted to play them until the roll's around $50 but I don't think I'll have the patience for it. Definitely don't wanna play super turbos they really pissed me off last time...even made me start thinking about the site being rigged despite the fact I never said that about Stars or Tilt; the runbad was just that awful for that stretch. Whatever I'll figure it out.

Hero Poker: $22.00

Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Starting today with $34.28 already entered a $3.30 turbo. I guess this would be considered taking a shot but until I hit $100 I use pretty loose bankroll management. Never gonna put more than 10% out there in a tourney but if a $3 is coming up I'm normally gonna jump in it for that shot to get some sort of a comfortable bankroll. I've been 4 tabling 2c/4c cash putting the full $4 on each table and it's been going pretty well. After a discouraging start I stuck with it and have been playing well since it. Typically I give up with cash after I start doing poorly but I've decided to keep working it; I'm really going to need to start getting the feel for tendencies that poor players have in cash games from when I turn 21 since that's typically going to be the type of players I face. Just some basic things I've seen are that c-bets aren't going to work as often as I think they should, guys aren't shoving pre without HUGE hands, and typically just playing your cards works. I'm probably not going to play much poker today since I still have a bunch of homework to get done but I'm physically drained right now and just trying to take it easy.

The reason I'm so tired is because I went on the longest distance run of my life this morning. Sundays are the day our team does our weekly long run but we don't technically have practice on the weekend so you're expected to run on your own. I've been trying to change that by setting up a sort of captain's practice. I'm not technically a captain but our distance team has really lost any sort of leadership. We have no seniors on it and I'm one of six juniors. Two of the other five are brothers who were very good in high school but just joined the team again this year so are quite new to the program. Another of the two are my close friends and roommates but one has barely been there at all because of random illnesses and injuries and another, while being a pretty good runner and a hard worker, does not really have many leadership qualities nor does he want to step into the role of leader. The fifth junior is a talented runner who was technically captain in cross county and had a very average year. He has some absolutely terrible tendencies that make him terrible captain material aside from the fact that he is talented. He doesn't work hard enough, he does some stupid things before races (I saw him eat a cupcake a few hours before a race; sweets are not exactly something you should be eating on race day and that's just a really obvious thing in my mind), and then when he has a bad race he always has some sort of excuse.

So this season the last mentioned junior ran the 3 kilometer race almost every meet and his first three attempts went 9:28, 9:27, 9:28. He ran 9:05 last year so he was very disappointed with these times but again, always had some sort of excuse (I was sick all last week, the track was really shitty, I had to take a dump the whole race--yep that's a real one). I ended up being in a bunch of different events. I ran the mile in 4:49, then the 5K in 17:01, then a 3K in 9:40 which won my heat of 18 people, and finally another mile in 4:48. So when we got to our conference meet, the meet we all prepare for and train to do the best in, we decided the best shot I had to score points was in the 3K, because I really felt I was a lot faster than that 9:40 but because I won my heat I didn't really have anyone to push me in the 2nd half of the race.

In the event was my one roommate who works hard and doesn't want to be a leader, the kid who has non-stop excuses, and my little brother, running for another school. The race had about 20 people in it and 8 would score points in the meet so the goal was top 8, but I also knew that if the race went out very fast I'd have to run my pace and hope to be able to track down the top 8 by the end. I split my first mile in 4:57 and looked up to see my brother in 3rd (he split 4:44), and my roommate and excuse kid (who I'll call EK from here on out) sitting around 8th both around 4:50 at the mile. I felt pretty good and did catch a few guys but wasn't able to catch the top 8. I did however catch EK who had a mini-freakout when his parents yelled at him midrace, and then screamed like a maniac after he crossed the finish line. I ended up at 9:27, him at 9:30, my roommate at 9:16 (9th place, just missing scoring points), and my little bro, who has just been killing it lately, at 9:05 for 3rd. So anyway I guess the point of this whole story was to point out that I beat EK, who up to this point had lost to me only once in a collegiate race. The reason I point that out is the excuse "he's a captain because he's that good" isn't valid anymore now that both my roommate and I have caught up. He's definitely still more naturally talented but his head might be completely out of running which is half the battle.

Anyway, we're in between seasons but it's very important to train to stay in shape for our first spring track meet which takes place on March 31. We've also had some friction on the team and I've realized that there isn't really a leader there to try to settle minor disputes. As part of NCAA regulations we haven't been allowed to have official practices this week so our coach simply gave us a schedule and told us to follow it. EK has not been at any of these practices, saying he's got some semi-serious sickness. Hmmmmm. Our coach also pointed out to me that he had "not named captain's for track at all", basically just telling me he felt EK shouldn't still be captain. So with no EK there all week and all the friction going on I've tried to step up and take a leadership role. I addressed the kids who had a problem with each other (some even had a problem with me) and calmly talked everything out until we came to a resolution. I also attempted to set up unofficial Sat/Sun practices so that we can meet as a team and run together. Only 3 of us came Saturday and I was the only one there Sunday, which is to be expected since a lot of people have shit to do on the weekends, but I'm going to talk to the whole team on Tuesday or Wednesday and see if we can come to an official time for next weekend.

So since I was on my own today and the weather was amazingly comfortable, I controlled the pace the whole time and was able to slow down or speed up based solely on how I felt. So after I did the 10 mile loop I'm familiar with I just kept running, Forrest Gump style, and did another 5.3 loop I know to finished up 15.3 miles in 1:52:37, or 7:21.6 per mile pace. The longest run I'd ever done before this was around 13 miles, so I'm pretty pumped about how it went.

I guess this is supposed to be a poker blog so I'll finish up with some poker stuff. I busted the $3.30 turbo while posting this with QQ<AT (straight on the river sigh). I'm playing the $99 freeroll they have for only certain countries...it only says country restricted though so I'm not sure who all is allowed to enter but obviously Americans are good to go. It never gets 200 runners and with $11 going to each of the top 9 it's probably one of the best freerolls you're gonna find online. That's it for now!

Hero Poker: $30.98

Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Not sticking with bankroll management but I've been winning...I have such a tough time grinding low stakes. I know that when I hit 4 figures it'll be easy to stick to BRM but trying to grind 2c/4c and 5c/10c and <$5 sngs/tourneys is just so annoying. I can deal with 10c/25c and $5.50+ tourneys and sngs so I'm probably just gonna stick try to have some sort of control until I bink a tourney. Almost did it tonight but fell short in an $11 turbo taking 30th or so and doubling my entry. I've felt a lot more comfortable playing cash lately, whether I'm winning or losing. I think only playing 1 or 2 tables has helped with that. I'm just not making any crazy plays unless it seems very very likely to work. ABC really works at this level but it's easy to get frustrated when you go very card dead. I've been doing better with not tilting when that happens and trying to make things happen that simply won't happen at the lower levels. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to cash out but it'd be nice to build this up a bit and experiment with a $100 or so cashout and see what happens. For now I need every penny I've got to build a roll. Spring break this week we'll see how much playing I get it in as time goes by.

Hero Poker: $77.73

Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Probably not going to post anywhere on Surfers but here and possibly hand analysis in the future. It's not like I get a lot from here anyway since I don't play much online poker these days, but the site is a joke. I guess the forum itself, as far as the threads and analysis, isn't the worst. But any site that bans a member, especially one who deserved to be banned well before he was banned, and then allows him to come back??? I don't really want to be a part of it. It sets an absolutely terrible precedence and totally says "hey, do whatever the flipflipflipflip you want whenever the flipflipflipflip you want, and even if we dole out the most severe punishment we can, it's not permanent and if you make some excuses for your actions and say you're reaaaaally sorry, we'll let you back." If this was before Black Friday I probably would care more but given that situation there is really no reason for me to make more of this. My last comment about this will be directed at the moderators: I do not care what he said or did outside of the site after he was banned. For all I know he's now the nicest guy in the world and deserves a Nobel Peace Prize. But he was punished for something he did in the past and that punishment should be permanent, considering he was PERMA-BANNED. And even now that you've allowed him back, he still hasn't owned up to his past actions!!! "I never rolled or anything like that, and to be honest, the reason I was banned was kinda silly, but it was "the straw that broke the camels back"." Let me repeat that for you. "THE REASON I WAS BANNED WAS KINDA SILLY." He still has no idea how unbelievably disrespectful and disgraceful so many of things he said and did on this site were. Like when he made jokes about the dictator that killed many of some of our fellow members' countrymen and would not stop despite protests from said members. Utterly Disgraceful. I don't really expect many on here to understand what I'm saying though many of our members and moderators are either brain dead or just so removed from reality and so ready to keep the peace that they'll do anything to stay away from confrontation. Even confrontation on something as safe as an online poker forum. Hope you can live with that guys and when he starts creating new shit with new / unliked members on the forum you'll have yourselves to blame for the mess he makes.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

So it seems I've mainly stuck to my word from my last post. I wanna try to keep myself above the childish stuff that goes on in this forum so I've just avoided where it goes on and posted objectively in the hand analysis forum. For example my blog has a rating of 2.0 stars on 3 ratings, and I believe the one rating it had before last post was 4.0, meaning I got 2 1.0's recently. In the past that might have bothered me but I've been thinking much more clearly lately and I'm hoping it's some actual maturity coming through. I have a feeling I know where at least one of those 1.0s is coming from but there's just no reason to get into it with anyone anymore.

I've actually been reading a lot and posting when I see fit on twoplustwo and I think it's helping my game a lot. The people on Surfers definitely work hard to give input and be helpful here but I'm realizing that I really wish I had realized how valuable 2p2 is comparatively a little bit earlier. Everyone gives good input here but only a handful of guys actually know what they are doing and I feel like a very large portion of the posts here having nothing to do with poker strategy, or even poker in general, sometimes. And with the number of members on the forum being very small to begin with you kind of need everyone being productive in order to hope to learn anything really.

However I do still enjoy posting in the hand analysis here now and listening to the input of the members who know what they're talking about, and I love listening to guys who admit when they are wrong and try to learn more. I think that has been my #1 mistake in improving and I think this newfound wave of maturity is going to help so so so much. I've been conceding that I'm wrong in hopes of learning more almost every time I post on 2p2 and listening to all of the answers others have for me. If I'm not sure why I'm wrong I'll ask. But usually it's just a simple flaw in thinking that only requires a small tweak and makes a lot of sense. In the past I may have argued my point, despite it being wrong, just out of a sense of pride. Now I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if it means I will become a better player if I listen to the advice.

I yet again started from scratch on Hero Poker and am trying to use bankroll management despite my very very tiny roll. It's hard to do since I'm used to playing much higher stakes online, but instead of playing 10 tables at a time and going through the motions, I've been 4 tabling and really attempting to get reads on everyone on every table, making my decisions easier because of this. I've been crushing the $1.10 deep stack turbo tourney they have. I cashed twice in a row and this third one today I got sucked out on back to back all ins to bust. But every time I take a little hit I stay focused and make sure to simply reset and adjust to how many chips I have after the bad beat. Twelve BBs is twelve BBs. If I have them after losing a monster pot where I started the hand with 100 BBs or if I have them after doubling a few times after being down to 1 BB, it's 12 BBs and I need to be looking to shove and double up. It's easy to have a different mindset based on what has just happened in tourneys but it's very important to make sure you keep playing optimally. Pretty sure I'll eventually ship that tourney for $70-$90 if I keep playing the way I am and will then at least have a little wiggle room with my bankroll.

I've been mainly playing 60c 9 man turbo sit n go's. I want to have at least 20 buy ins for MTTs, 20-30 buy ins for sngs, and 1000 BBs (total bankroll) for any cash game. This is still a pretty loose way of managing my roll but the idea is to build it somewhat quickly as I really don't wanna be stuck playing micros too long. My roll is around $15 right now so I want to play these 60c games until I'm over $25ish again so I can start playing the $1.10 turbo tourney again. Then once I bink that I'll be around $100 and can pretty comfortably play the $1.06 6 max super turbos. That's the preliminary goal for online at the moment.

I'll be able to play live in casinos pretty soon now. About 45 days to be exact . The Showboat in AC has daily $65 tourneys that start with $20,000 in chips. The play will probably still be super fast but my live bankroll is in the $1200-$1300 range right now from playing at the live game on campus so that's a solid 20ish buy ins. Could at least experiment with 3-5 tries at the tourney and if I don't like it then try something else. My bankroll is pretty small for $1/$2 cash but I've been reading up a lot in the Live Low Stakes No Limit section of 2p2 and I'm starting to pick up on things I didn't understand previously...AKA making it $16 pre isn't that crazy and is almost standard in some spots, top pair on the flop just isn't a hand that's going to win an all in showdown very often, stuff like that. It's certainly an adjustment from tourney and sit and go play but I think I'm learning slowly but surely.

Away from poker I've been working a lot harder at track. Two weeks ago I ran the 5K in 16:27 at our home track. I'm a junior and my freshman year I ran 16:25 and 16:22 the 2 times I ran it, so while the effort this year was a bit slower, I think it showed that I'm at least trying hard again and am almost back to where I was when I was in top shape. Last Saturday I ran a 4:20 1500 meter race in a meet that was primarily division one colleges. Of the 35 runners in the race I took 31st. My teammates took 33rd, 34th, and 35th. Hey I broke up the sweep! 32nd went 4:21 lol. And for those non-metricky people out there, 4:20 equates to a 4:38 mile if I were to run that last 100 meters. And I almost got last...why am I dealing with that as a DIII athlete??

This past week I had 2 really solid workouts. Monday we did 3 sets of 5 x 400 meters with a 100 meter jog as rest in between each 400, and a 400 meter jog rest in between each set of 5. So basically it's run a lap fast, jog a quarter of a lap, run a lap fast, jog of a quarter of a lap, ... , after 5 fast laps, jog a lap, and do it again. Then do it again. My first 5 400s were all between 76-78 seconds, my 2nd 5 went 76 74 74 74 74, and after I ran a 72 to start my 3rd set my coach decided I would only do 2 more but I'd try to do them quickly. He told me to jog 200m (half a lap) after the 72 and then try to run 68-70 seconds. I ran a 67 and proceeded to jog my 200m rest. As I was about to start the last one he looks at me and says "you got a 65 in you?" For some reason I felt so into running at that exact moment and almost excitedly nodded a yes to him. I've gotten that sort of feeling when playing in a close basketball game down the stretch, but never really felt it in track. I split a 63 to finish the workout. The other part that makes that workout so solid for me is I was by myself since I have a 3:45 class, the same time practice is scheduled for all my other teammates, and it was 85 degrees outside with the sun bearing down, way way hotter than any other days so far this year. I was really excited with that workout.

Then on Wednesday I might have outdone Monday. Our workout for Wednesday was 5 x 1000 meters with a 2:30 rest between each 1000. My splits went 3:09, 3:05, 3:08, 3:06, 3:09. I was letting my teammate pace me the whole way and I felt great despite the fact that in cross country I was barely breaking 3:20 for any of the 1000s in this workout, and winter track I rarely got under 3:15. I think I could have broken 3:00 on the last 1000 but that would be kind of disrespectful to my teammate who was pacing me the whole way, and I don't think my coach would have been happy with me killing the end of a workout just to show off. He emailed me that night though telling me that was the best workout he'd ever seen me run and he was excited to see what I'd do in the 5K on Sunday.

So we had that meet today where I ran the 5K at our home track yet again. It rained all day and picked up for the start of our race around 3:00. It was about 50 degrees with a little wind so that kind of sucked. However those are pretty awesome conditions for a distance runner. It kind of allows your body to go numb so you can't feel the pain at all. The race went out kind of fast for the lack of quality competition that was there. I hit the half mile at 2:29 and the mile at 5:05. The wheel just kind of fell off after that. I hit the 2 mile at 10:26 and couldn't figure out why I couldn't move faster. I figured I'd be cruising at 10:15 at the 2 mile and then doing all I could to kick hard to try to break 16:00. Instead the whole last mile was a struggle and I came through in 16:31, even slower than 2 weeks ago. I hardly said anything to anyone and just kind of walked off the track, grabbed my stuff and walked back to my dorm. I've never worked this hard at track before so to put that work in and then perform poorly really sucks. I've noticed that I really believe that if I put my mind to something that I should just be amazing at it very quickly. And even thinking about it now with a clear head, I don't really see any reason that I shouldn't. I almost feel immune to that "Hey you need to give it time" logic. I want success and I want it quickly. It definitely seems cocky writing it down but that's just how I feel when I do something.

My main focus now has to be to not get upset when that doesn't go as planned and to just keep grinding. It's true for running, it's true for poker, and it's true for life. You need to strive to be the best you can be, and once you hit what you think that mark is, you need to strive to be better. I just hope I can continue to stay motivated and improve in all three of those areas.

Hero Poker: $15.90

Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

At anyone who's been reading this (and thanks for the positive rating whoever that was between last post and now), could you just confirm I wasn't out of line on that last post? I'm pretty sure I stayed as mature as possible and did everything I could to avoid confrontation while still making my point. But I logged on to Facebook this morning to see this in my messages:

Kevin (6 hours ago)
why are you such a pussy bro...you gotta talk shit about me in your blog....really....get over it flipflipflipfliptard

I responded with this a few minutes ago...I do not think is out of line but again it would be nice to have an unbiased opinion just confirm my thinking that my last post was not out of line in any way.

Me (4 minutes ago)
I literally did not talk any shit, did not mention you by name, and specifically mentioned I'm trying to stay away from drama like this. Please stop obsessing over me and don't read my blog if you're going to have that reaction. That was one of the least confrontational posts I've ever made and it kinda bothers me that you're actually going out of you're way to insult me and call me a pussy and a flipflipflipfliptard. Grow up sir.

Just a PM to tell me if I have been out of line or not would really be appreciated; for all I know I did actually say something out of line but I am of the opinion that I really stayed as civil as possible, and then I wake up to see a grown man calling me a pussy over a blog post. Input welcomed.

Last edited by Venice : 04-25-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: full name removed upon request

Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Woke up today with one of the worst hangovers I've ever experienced. I went pretty hard last night since our NJAC (conference championship) meet is in 10 days so it was kind of my last shot to party before then. Bought a 12 pack of Bud Light Platinums and I remember drinking the first 5...I always put the caps or tabs in my pocket so I know how much I've had and when I woke up I checked my pockets and found 9 of them in there. I've never blacked out and I remember drinking after the first five but I have no idea how I got to 9.

Anyway point of that story was despite my practice being at 3:45 and class at 6:30, I didn't go to either. I was just pretty much in agony until around 5:00. That did however allow me to play poker from around 7:00 PM til now. I've been much more disciplined recently about not shot taking too often and making sure to stick to some sort of BRM. I've been grinding 60c 9 man turbo sngs and have thrown in the occasional $1.10 turbo MTT. I've been doing quite well in the early stages of the MTT but can't seem to get the right spots after reaching the money. I think I'm 3/4 in cashing that tourney this week but have yet to make any serious run at the win. I think that's just a matter of time.

All of the decisions I've been making have been well thought out and I just feel much better about everything I'm doing. I'm really making sure to watch the table to figure out tendencies of each player and it makes so many decisions way easier than I ever could have imagined when 12 tabling or whatever in the past. I've been keeping stats as well to see exactly how much I'm winning or losing each session. The stats include type of game and stakes, time and date of the start of the session, how many games I played, starting and finishing bankroll to determine profit, and ROI of the session. I'll be interested to see if any of these things show a direct correlation to winning or losing (maybe I win most in the afternoon when I'm fresh and lose most past midnight...stuff like that).

I'm also feeling waaaaay more comfortable playing cash, where I think it's even more important to have a good feel of the tendencies of your opponents. I really wish I still had HUD as it would be much easier for a computer to just gather all the data for me to have that basic feel for who's tight and who's loose. However I haven't been doing any more than 4 tabling so it hasn't been all that tough to get the reads myself. I still don't think I have a big enough bankroll to buy in for max at $0.02/$0.04 (seems so strange given my BR of the past) but I took a shot today while my total BR was around $18 and I did very well. I decided I would leave immediately if I busted and the big hand I was involved in came when I made it 14c with TT and got called by the BB. The flop came J 8 5 rainbow and I bet 16c after he checked. He minraised to 32c...it wasn't the first time he check/minraised me and the last time he did it he checked turn, checked river then folded to my river bet.

I called and he bet close to the pot, something like 84c, on the J turn. I decided he would've played a J a little slower, making a more value-ish type of bet on the turn with a J, so I put him on a T9, 67, or total spaz type of hand. He shoved the river 6 and I called pretty quickly. His 22 was no good and I doubled up and he left immediately. Without the read of him previously check/minraising me without much of a hand it would have been difficult to get my stack in with the overcard; however, it wasn't too tough this time. I played for a little over 2 hours total and cashed out for $8.89 on my $4 buy in.

After the cash game I played a total of 9 60c 9 man turbos and profited $1.80. This put me over $25 so I decided to play 5 x $1.06 6 man super turbos, and never register in a game that would put my roll under $20. I ran pretty well and felt very in control the whole session. I've been dealing with bad beats much much better lately. I've noticed that the normal circumstance where I get really mad at bad beats is when someone else makes a bad play, one that I wouldn't have made, and sucks out on me. Lately when that happens I just need to remind myself that it's going to be profitable for me in the long run. I still get a bit frustrated when someone makes a bad play that actually is NOT profitable for either of us...for example, say I have 3000 and my 2 opponents have 500 and 2500 respectively in a 6 man super turbo where 2 cash and blinds are 150/300. Button who has 500 folds and it comes to me. I'll be shoving any two cards there because the BB should be folding almost everything, even if it's +cEV. Without a really really big hand, the call will be -$EV since he only needs to outlast the guy who is about to bust. But if I shove an he calls with K2 and beats my 78 I'll still get a little steamed over that, since not only is it a bad call, it hurts BOTH of us. But even those situations are getting easier to deal with, since I'll just put a note on him and remember that I'll have to deal with those funky plays in the future.

Anyway I played well and ran well and ended up profiting $8.10 in 15 x $1.06 6 man supers. That's an ROI of 51% so there's 0 chance I could sustain anything anywhere near that, but it was nice to run good when I needed to in order to keep playing that game. I think the plan now will be to play those $1.06s until I drop under $20 or I get over $60; under $20 brings me back to 60c regular turbos and over $60 will bring me to $2.12 6 max supers. If I start up with $2.12s I'll go back down to $1.06s if I ever dip below $50. I'll also continue to play the $1.10 turbo MTT (don't think I'm gonna want to play above that until about $50ish) and I'll probably be okay with 1 tabling 2c/4c now too. I know most people would probably advocate picking type of game and sticking with it but I've never been very good at that. I also know I'm a good sit n go player so that doesn't worry me. I also think my late game in tourneys wasn't bad but early on I wasn't sure how to play optimally while deep stacked. I'm getting much more comfortable with that since really trying to learn cash. I'm reading the Live Low Stakes No Limit section of 2p2 pretty much every day at this point and I'm really starting to get a feel for how to tweak my strengths from tournament poker to make them strengths in cash games.

That's it for now. Hope I haven't offended anyone in this post; you just never really know who's out there obsessing over every character you type!

Hero Poker: $33.88

Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Took 15th in the $1.10 turbo yesterday of about 375 runners...was feeling really good about this one then just got stuck in the "no cards no spots" rut. Got knocked down to 700 on my first real hand (5000 starting stack) when 4 guys limped to me in the BB at 125/250. I raised to 1245 and got 2 callers to an A K 4 flop. I check UTG checks UTG+1 bets 2000 I flat UTG shoves 4000 UTG+1 folds (lol) I call UTG flips AA haha. However in the first 90 minutes I had 2 other KKs, 2 AAs and a QQ so I was getting very very premium starting hands. I'll ship that tourney eventually which will be exciting, not so much for the $80 or whatever but because I'll be able to really start moving up in stakes and it'll give me the opportunity to bink a tourney that'll get me back to a reasonable bankroll. But what I am figuring is if I can continue to use BRM with a bankroll this small then using BRM when the money actually means something to me will be absolutely no problem. That was one thing I never had to deal with when I had 5 figures online; I was never tempted to try anything over $200, and I only played those very sparingly, typically trying to satty in to the SM or just not playing it at all.

I got out of my 8AM class around 9:30 and just put my laundry in...gonna go change that to the dryer and then get ready for 11:30 practice. Fridays are usually just distance days but because of the fact that we had a meet on Sunday and we have no meet this weekend, we decided to workout on Friday this week, so I'll be doing 5 x (600m at 3K pace, 100m jog, 300m at mile pace, 2:30 rest) if that makes any sense. Basically gonna run 1.5 laps in 1:50, jog 100 meters, run 3/4 of a lap in 50 seconds, chill for 2:30, then do all that again, 5 times. My 2:00 class got cancelled which is awesome and since I'm going home this weekend I'm just gonna leave around 2:00, after the workout. I have a summer job interview tonight (will probably go "hey can you drive a car and work a register?" "yes" "ok you got the job") and then my mom's birthday is tomorrow. She's hitting the big 5-0 so I thought it was pretty important I get back home if possible, and with no meet it was no problem. I'll probably play a set of $1.06 supers in between changing my laundry and practice at 11:30. Ok das it!

Hero Poker: $36.94

Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Lost several buy ins at $1.06 supers; was bound to happen with how good I was running earlier. Currently playing $1.10 turbo MTT (gotta bink this eventually) and registered for 3x$1.10 turbo sngs--an 18, 27, and 45 man. I really miss stars when those would run super fast and I could've just grinded those to build my roll. But they're actually registering faster than snail-pace since it's Sunday so I'll play them now. I'll post my BR as it was before I registered for anything.

Hero Poker: $25.31

Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Just getting crushed sigh. Back to 60c sngs I suppose. Lot of work coming up with finals next week so I probably won't play too much poker. It also sucks that as soon as I start really getting into 2p2 it shuts down indefinitely. Hopefully it'll be back soon because I don't think I think clearly enough about the game when I'm not constantly reading ideas of others. Meh. Probably going to bed now.

Hero Poker: $15.01

Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Just wanted to share a cash game hand I just played because it was pretty strange and I cba to post it on hand analysis because flipflipflipfliping Hero Poker doesn't have copy-able hand histories. Villain of this hand was a guy who was at both the tables I was playing on and I'm pretty sure he was on several others. I had already played a hand with him where he made it 10c (this is 2c/4c 6 max cash) from UTG and I 3b to 28c from the button with AQs. He calls and then checks the 6 7 T, I bet 36c, he calls, turn 2 he checks I bet 88c he calls, river T he checks I put him on 88 or 99 and decide he's not going to fold to a shove and check, and he shows 88 to win the pot.

The hand I want to talk about though comes against him on the other table we were playing but I assume he remembers me barreling turn and river with A high. It folds to me in the SB with AhJc and I make it 12c he calls. He had $4.38 to start the hand and I had him covered. Flop Ad Qs 4c I bet 16c he raises to 50c. I decide he could definitely just be making a move here based on the fact that I barreled twice last hand. I'm also showing aggression from the SB vs his BB so I can be very wide. But I think a raise here only folds out worse hands and gets calls from better. It's possible he'll put me on a crazy move and get it all in if he has a worse ace but I decide flatting is best so I do. Turn 8s I check he bets 90c. Maybe I should raise here? At this point though it seems like either he has a huge hand or air and I wanna get value from air and lose as little as possible to a monster. I don't think I can ever really fold here but I guess that's an option. I call and check the 9h river. He bets $2.20 and I decide I have to continue with the plan and call it. It's possible he's betting for a weaker ace for value the whole way but I think an airy type of hand is pretty likely as well. He flips 8c9d for 2 pair and wins the pot. Hmmm. Total bluff raise on flop, really strange turn bet but I guess it's gotta still be a bluff since he can't be getting value with an 8 there. It could just be a "I'm betting every street no matter what to try to win this hand" play where he doesn't even really think about why he's betting on the turn. And then the river becomes a value bet. Pretty sickening I mean I had the right read and then somehow wound up with the worst hand on the river. Ugh.

Gonna go play the live cash game now for the last time this school year. 50c/$1 today and my buddy Yong just called and said he's here and we should play heads up before it starts at 9:00. He always brings an absurd amount of money for the blinds we're playing so he'll have me covered no matter how much I put on the table. I could put $500 on at 50c/$1 and he'll go $600 to make a point. I had to take $80ish out of my live roll for personal stuff so it's around $1200 now. Would be nice to pad it a little bit here before I turn 21 next month.

Hero Poker: $23.54

Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Took a shot today at a $3.30 short handed tourney. Played very well ran well etc made the final table. Was 2/5 and put the short stack all in with A5, he called with KQ and won the hand. I pick up AA the next hand and the big stack makes it 5000 (blinds were 1000/2000). With about 45000 I have the option to either raise smallish or shove here. I decided on making it 12500 in hopes of looking like I was spewing and giving him the idea he had FE. He called then shoved the 4 J Q flop. I called, he showed KT, I turn a set and board doesn't pair on the river. Fifth for $18. First was $90. It's just so frustrating. Would've had half the chips in play if I can dodge 6 outs (or just rebink the river). My bankroll is around $30 now instead of $100 and the dollar games are getting so boring. There were a few spots down the stretch of the $3.30 where I could actually go beyond just playing ABC poker, exploiting those who limped too much and counting on the fact that I have fold equity vs players who are just trying to cash or just make the final table or whatever. Really hope I bink soon and can start playing games that are higher than the micros.

I'm currently 27/44 in a PLO freeroll. Started with 4272 entrants. Top 24 "cash", that is, 10-24 get a $2.20 satty ticket, 5-9 get an $11 satty ticket, 2-4 get an $11 satty ticket + cash, and 1st gets $18 + a $33 satty ticket. We'll see how that goes. I'll most likely be out before I'm done writing this post .

The last cash game I talked about last post went interestingly; I had a nice profit but coulda been a lot more. I brought $400, bought in for $200, was down to $100 early so added on $100, and after a half hour of nothingness said "last game of the year can't hold anything back now" (waterboy style) and threw the last $100 on the table. Ran the $300 up to $900 and then back down to $600 before cashing out for a $200 profit. It was 50c/$1 but thanks to my Asian buddy Yong throwing the straddle on every time he had the option and playing aggro as hell the whole way, along with two other big stacks not afraid to play big hands, it was playing much much bigger. There was also no max and Yong had the table covered at all times. I win a big pot, he adds on. I win another pot, he adds on more. When I had $900 in front of me he had $1000. I recall two big pots that had me go up so quickly.

The first came when I picked up Th7h OTB. Yong, my friend Dave and I took a 2 8 9 flop with 1 heart. I'm not sure what the action was preflop but someone else raised so the pot was $13ish. Dave checked, Yong bet $13 and I decided to raise to $40. Yong is constantly jokingly calling me a nit and he has a point; I play somewhat tight at this game because I know abc poker works pretty well. I occasionally make some funky plays but they're usually not too crazy. I had check raise bluffed Yong on the turn earlier in the game and showed it, just letting him know that I don't have it every time. The intent there was that I get paid off occasionally on my big bets on the turn and the river when I do have the goods since, like I said, I usually am playing tight and just playing my cards. So I raise to $40 and Dave shocks me with a call. Not sure what he's check/calling a bet and a pretty big raise with but after he calls Yong does too. 6h turn makes me pretty happy. On the off chance someone else also has the nuts, I've got 9 outs to scoop. While I'm calculating how much is in the pot (15+40*3) and trying to figure out what to bet when it checks to me, Dave announces all in. While Yong is thinking the dealer and Dave start counting out how much he has together. Meanwhile I notice that Yong, who again has me covered while I still have about $350 behind, seems to actually be considering not folding. They finally count out that Dave has $196! He's overbetting the pot while I'm holding the nuts. Yong finally folds and I said call about .6 seconds after his cards hit the muck, and I let Dave know I have the nuts. The river is a 2 and I look at Dave to see if he's hit the boat and he let me knows he hasn't and I scoop. I asked him what he had and he said top pair and really just felt we didn't have anything too big. If he thought that I'm not sure why he's not 3-betting flop, but w/e I wasn't gonna question it; hopefully he does it again next time .

The other hand came against my friend Kasper that I met this semester in our Public Speaking class. The first in-class activity involved each person talking to someone they didn't already know and finding out facts about them, then presenting those facts to the class. I mentioned I play poker to Kasper and he told me he liked to play, long story short, he ended up coming to our poker game a few times. He was pretty deep stacked after a funky hand against Dave in which he won about $200. I don't remember the action of this hand too well but I had JT and flopped 8 J T. Kasper led out and I think I flatted; he seemed very eager to bet and is generally tight. Turn was a low card but put a 3rd diamond on the board; Kasper led again and I called. River was a 4th diamond, but it happened to be the Td and after I almost jizzed in my pants, Kasper checked. I think there was $120ish in the pot now and Kasper has a history of calling very large river bets with very mediocre hands. Looking back on this hand I should have bet much larger, but Kasper called my $70 bet and showed Qx9d for a medium flush (and a flopped straight). I probably should have bet pot but he seemed like he really didn't like the 4th diamond and I was worried about pushing a jack or a straight off the hand.

I lost a lot of the money back 3 handed to relentless aggression from Yong. I should have left but felt it would be bad etiquette when up so much and we agreed to play another 30 mins then break the game. I think Yong caught on to the fact that I did not want to play a huge pot against him, so when I bluffed $60 on the turn with AK on a 2 4 9 2 board he raised to $160 rather quickly. I sensed weakness and with 2 flush draws on the board I really thought an AQ suited hand made sense. But I just couldn't pull the trigger and risk losing $800 with A high. I also knew a flat on the turn would lead to a large river bet from Yong that would be even harder to call. After the game he told me he had AJo; I'm not totally convinced but I did sit there for 5 minutes contemplating 3-betting because I felt weakness, so I guess AJ would make sense.

I actually was fine with how I played the biggest hand I lost. I called a raise with 9c7c and the flop came Qc Jc 8x. Yong bet and then called my raise. Turn came 6x and Yong checked. I think this is an obvious spot to bet, especially with how tight Yong thinks I am; he'll probably only call with big hands, so I'm making a lot of better hands fold and I have a lot of outs vs big hands which can win me lots of money. I believe I bet $55 into about $70 here...not positive on those numbers but it was something like that. He thought for a while then called and checked the 2x river. I think I have to bluff again here. He's played the hand quite passively after the preflop raise and c-bet and it seems like he really just wants to show down his hand. I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance he has a random Q or even a random J that I can make him fold with a bet here; with how tight he perceives me he may even fold 2 small pair. He raised pre but his VPIP was probably 80% this game so his range is super wide so hands like 8-6 could still be in there. I bet $90 and he tanked. It wasn't Hollywooding or anything; he was genuinely thinking it over. He finally announced call and I let him know I had 9 high and he triumphantly threw down J6o. I don't think he would have been able to call with just jacks but the 6 on the turn swayed that decision. Like I said, he tanked with that 2 pair, so it shows just how tight he perceives me. It was a fun night overall. I end the year with a $1400 live bankroll, and since I started the semester with $1000, which was strictly profit from the first semester, the $1400 represents my profits from the live game throughout this school year. Not bad for 50c/$1 average stakes once a week.

That's all for now. I did not bust the PLO freeroll while typing this, in fact, my stack has multiplied by 10 from 40K to 400K while typing and I'm 4/13 atm . However, 1st is on my left and 3rd is on his left so we'll see how this goes. I'll post my bankroll without the result of this game.

Hero Poker: $30.03

Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Ended up getting 7th in that freeroll for an $11 ticket, then lost an $11 turbo tourney immediately after. Thinking I should have played a standard blind speed $11 but it's all good. Just ran super super good in $1.06 super turbos with an ROI of 69.81% over a 17 game set to get my roll over $50. I have an 8AM final exam in the morning (in 6.5 hours actually) so I gotta get some sleep and will keep this short. Gonna finish watching Clippers-Grizzlies and go to bed. It's fun to watch just to hear Chris Webber make up words. That's all for now.

Hero Poker: $54.00

Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Surfers Event Winner x4
Gold Horse - Verified
Supernova Staker

WSOSP Winner x3

Shot-took a $5.50 turbo the other day...ran stack from 5K up to 20K but couldn't make anything happen after that. I love tournaments but I'm fairly confident I could grind my roll up very slowly but surely playing strictly $1.06 6 man super turbos. Since I started keep track on April 26 I've played 209 of them for $23.26 profit, or 10.5% ROI. I'm fairly confident I can sustain that due to the very poor play in these. I've seen guys limp/fold from the SB with 5 BBs, stuff like that. A lot of it is very exploitable and whenever I see something funky like that I make sure to note the player, and then if I see them again and it happens again, I'll open my range up super wide when they limp to pick up that extra money.

The two problems with slowly grinding is I'm an inpatient bastard who is getting tired of a $40 roll, and I haven't been able to put a lot of volume in. I've just been 4 tabling, making sure I've got all the basics down after the long time away from online poker, but that leads to me playing like 20-30 games per hour tops. At 10% I'm making about 10c per game played, and if I'm playing 20 games per hour, that's $2/hr, meaning I'd need to play another 30 hours of strictly this just to reach a $100 bankroll. Maybe that's the way I should do it; just force myself to play nothing but these games while I'm online. But the prospect of binking a tourney is just too delicious for me to want to cut them out completely. So I think I'm going to continue to play the $1s and $2s, and I suppose I'll really need to make sure not to ever shot take any $5s since that's like 2.5 hours of grinding $1 sngs lmao. Sigh just give me the $800 that's still locked on FTP and let me get my grind on again!

I've got a final tomorrow and a final on Monday, along with a 10 page paper final project due for the Monday class, and then I'm done with the school year. I definitely should get a lot of studying done for the test tomorrow, and the 10 pg paper is gonna be annoying but the final on Monday shouldn't be too bad. It's open book, which isn't all that helpful in math classes where you kind of just need to know how to do problems inside and out, but it definitely makes it easier than the other two closed-book finals I've taken. My school kind of sucks though in the fact that you have to move out by Saturday at 6 PM unless you went through some process with filling out papers if you have a Monday final. So it looks like I'm going to go home after the Friday final, either on Friday or Saturday, and have to do the paper and study for the last final at home before driving back to school on Monday just to take that test. Blah.

My final track race didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I wanted to make a run at breaking 16:00 in the 5K, which would require consistent 77 second 400s for 5000 meters. I hit the 1600m mark at 5:07 (exactly where I wanted to be) then split another 2 77s to hit my pace pretty dead on exactly halfway through the race. After that though I was dead and just had nothing in the tank. My last 1600m was somewhere around 5:35, just totally falling off the pace from earlier. I finished at 16:36, my slowest ever 5K on an outdoor track. Meanwhile my little brother who runs for a different school in my conference ran 15:51 and took 2nd in the race. Looks like I'm gonna have to train my ass off this summer!

I think I'm gonna play a few of the super turbos now, then get some lunch, then start studying. Since last Saturday was the last meet of the year for me I haven't had a lot to do this week. All the extra time has just lead to me being a degenerate on my computer. I think that's why I've never quit running, even during the really hard times. It keeps my head on straight and forces me to do the things I need to do whenever there's enough time to do them. Now, with all this extra time, I can just keep putting them off until I realize it's too late and then I'm in trouble. Anyway, poker, food, study looks like how it's gonna go. See ya next time!

Hero Poker: $42.20

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker