Surfers Poker, Poker Forum

Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Blogs and Poker Entertainment > Poker Blogs
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Staker Points: 241.34
TPS: 77.185
Plays at : America's Cardroom
Game of choice : Hold'em
Fav. Online Player : I don't know anymore
Robofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of Poker
Send a message via Skype™ to Robofriven
Default Robofriven's new beginning

Alright, well seeing as how my old blog was closed down after 4.5 years of inactivity (the nerve! ) I might as well start a new one. I was thinking about seeing about getting the old one re-opened, but then I realized that it makes sense that one should be closed. That chapter of my life is over and in many ways I am a different person now, so a fresh blog makes sense.

For the past several years I have been bummed about Black Friday and the loss of my beloved online poker. And even more so by the fact that it happened while I was holding onto some of Dr. J's money for a BAS we were doing together. I STILL haven't managed to get that money back from Pokerstars yet and the stuff that I had on Fulltilt just got lost to the void because I didn't have enough to send me a check and my bank wouldn't accept the deposit. I have tried recently to get a withdrawl from Pokerstars again hoping that my new bank will take the deposit, so cross your fingers for that!

The other day I saw a commercial for the WPT website's poker setup and it was talking about winning real money. So I went and checked it out and they want a monthly subscription so I said screw that, I can't stand playing play money games anymore because there is always someone who ALWAYS goes all in and that's not playing poker that's just a slot machine and those aren't much fun. Well a long story shorter, in the process of all this I stumbled on some videos on Youtube by Gripsed and he was talking about sites friendly to Americans and I went to America's Cardroom and played in one of their on demand freerolls and got 2nd for $1.50, then went and lost it at the 1c/2c table. Rinse and repeat a couple times and finally I put $20 on their site and started playing poker again.

It all started out okay, was up a couple buyins, but then yesterday happened and I dropped almost 5 buyins (when only starting with 10 that makes me nervous). I was playing full ring 1c/2c and after losing what felt like a bunch I decided I'd get the 30 day trial of Hold'em manager to keep a little better track of who the crappy players at the table were and watched some videos and whatnot.

While I was running bad I also realized that I was c-betting way too often to people I pretty much knew were NOT going to fold and hero calling their obvious "I hit my draw!" bets wanting them to be bluffs. So I made a few adjustments and switched to playing more 6 max tables than full ring when available. America's Cardroom is pretty soft, but there's not a whole lot of options as to which tables to play, especially late at night. Well it must have worked (with some luck of course) because I won back everything I lost yesterday except the $2 I spent on the Jackpot table that I intend to not mess around with anymore.

My main thing I'm trying to take away from today is that I need to make sure to stay fluid to the situations and not try to force everything into my box of "what I think poker should be." If they're not respecting my c-bets and bluffs then I need to c-bet and bluff a lot less often and value bet more/higher. If I can figure out at the table who the whale is I need to do what I can to get him involved in pots with me so he can pay me, etc.

Sorry for the length of this. I'm honestly mostly writing it for myself. I find I retain my learning better if I recap it in a format like this. But if you like reading it, firstly go and get your head examined because this is one long rambling piece of crap, and secondly thanks for reading it!

America's Cardroom ID: Robofriven

Surfers Poker - Featured Sites
Old 10-22-2015, 11:00 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Robofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of PokerRobofriven Godlike Genius of Poker

Overall, today was a pretty good day. I got rakeback starting on ACR so I can start getting some of my money back that way. I took some bad beats which hurt, and then completely screwed up and lost about a full buyin not paying close enough attention to what was happening. After that I took a bit of a break and then came back and managed to just keep on grinding away and not let any of it get to me and eventually came back and ended the day up, which is always good.

I still have more than a few things to work on, but I've gotten a lot better about not hero calling when they obviously hit something, and I think that's made the biggest difference by far. Those river bets are so big that it just killed me to call them so much because I WANTED them to be bluffing. Sure I had TPTK the entire hand and he was playing 74s, but he runner runnered his flush so I have to not call his bet. I got my money in when it was good and the rest is just time.

As far as things I know I need to work on (as opposed to the countless ones I don't know about yet) I need to work on my c-betting. I'm not c-betting so much and that's working well for me against the opponents that will never fold anyway. While this is working better I feel that I need a plan when C-betting, rather than a gut instinct and then no idea what to do when they call, I should have an idea of what I'll do given different types of cards that come and whatnot.

Hand reviewing. I want to spend some time going over hands, but I'm playing so many I can't really go through them all or grab them at random, I need to figure out a system of which hands to look at and see if I was confused. I don't feel confused at the table really often right now, but that doesn't at all mean I'm doing the right thing. If anyone has any ideas I"m all ears. I'll probably do some web searching tomorrow and try and find some info on that regard. More on that tomorrow I hope!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Another day of pretty big ups and downs. I won the biggest pot I've won yet, and lost the biggest pot I'd lost yet. Luckily the win was bigger than the loss, but not by much. I had a super aggressive player that seemed to just run over the whole table betting with anything and everything (even when played back at!) who must masturbate while he watches old videos of Durr. Luckily it helped point out a kind of player I don't know how to deal with properly which made me make this thread, (http://www.surferspoker.com/showthre...249#post782249) please feel free to go there and chime in.

I think my opponent reading is getting a little better though it's really hard to put them on ranges seeing as how their ranges are SO big, also ACR won't let you see mucked cards so the amount of info you can gather is limited at best.

I've gotten about 75c in rakeback so far and cleared $1 of my deposit bonus so that's going pretty well, in fact it's rivaling my actual winnings as far as amounts go so I'm glad I went to the effort to get those set up properly.

I'm working on not being short sighted, which is why there's no bankroll updates in this blog, but it can be very difficult to do so. I want to win, I want to do well, but in the short term there just isn't that much going for me yet. I don't know if I'm just in a break even period or if I'm not that good. I downloaded poker snowie and maxed out the number of hands it would let me import, it said I'm playing at an advanced level but made 32 blunders, so that's not too bad I guess. Most of the things it told me were errors were me being too nitty with hands like AJ and AQ, and a couple of them I disagreed with given my read of the person raising that it was telling me to reraise. If I have AQ and my opponent only raises 1% of the time over 500 hands I'm probably pretty safe assuming that he's got me at least dominated.

Other than that not much to report. I've played about 4k hands so far and spent a good portion of the day 4 tabling either 6 max or full ring depending on what had full tables and fish. I got into a 6 max table that was full of "regulars" the ones that are doing the same thing as me at least and that was a pain in the ass, I ended up leaving because I'd rather focus on the fish than the guys who have somewhat normal stats.

I'm curious to see how weekends are on ACR, hopefully more recreational players than I've seen the last couple nights. I won't be able to play on Saturday because I have a feast to go to, but I think I should be able to get some good time in tomorrow night after dinner. If anyone wants feel free to add me to skype and message me. I often get bored and wouldn't mind someone to talk poker with, my wife definitely gets tired of me talking about it.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

A quick little mid day update/brag. I am reading an Ebook I found called "How to beat NLHE 6-max cash games". So far it's a pretty good book, and it's going through the stats that you should strive for and I am happy to say that I actually came down in the correct range (usually closer to the "you should strive for") for almost everything. It says that I am defending my big blind a little too much, which I am slightly prone to believe.

I've seen on some recent things saying that you need to defend your blinds more than you used to (this book is a little old) and have been trying that, but I think that might be more of a higher limits thing than where I'm at as I just find myself playing way too many hands out of position against players where I have no idea where I'm at, so I think I'll tighten up a little there. Though it's really hard to give up those juicy 5-10:1 odds they give me on some hands.

Also going through stats I've realized that I am winning the most at 6 handed tables (6, 5 and 4 actually) and losing most of my money at the 8 and 9 handed tables. So I am going to try and focus on 6 max as much as possible and make sure that I tighten up a bit more when playing full ring because there's no other games.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Today: 4:50 (I will round these to the nearest 10 to start)

First things first. I think I have decided that I want to take poker a little more seriously then I have before. I am not working at the moment anyway so I'm thinking that I want to spend at least 20 hours a week playing and treat it sort of like a part time job. In this way I'm hoping I can get better and hopefully move up limits and then possibly start making some side income. If for some reason I start making enough to quit working and go to school full time, well then darn it all to heck, doesn't my life suck.

I am still focusing on the 6-max cash games as much as possible. I'm avoiding SNGs and MTTs because one, they take too long and 2, nothing on ACR in that vein is inside my BRM, so cash games it is! Also cash games are nice because you get immediate feedback on what is happening, which is nice, or terrible depending on whether or not it is good or bad.

I am trying to not play more than 2 hours at any one time, I notice that my focus starts going down around that time and I start getting distracted, so I stop myself at or around 2 hours and take a little break and do something else and then go back to playing again when I feel like it. This feels like a pretty good system so far, I will continue with it for now.

As far as my game goes, I'm still weak against the super maniacy LAG players. I ran into another one today and just felt like I was spewing chips (couldn't hit anything against him and he was literally 3 betting 100% of the time) so I took my ball and went home so to speak. My ball being my money and home being another table. I also regressed a little back into my hero calling ways for a little while and had to catch myself and get out of it before I lost too much. I've made a lot of adjustments to my game since starting this blog but they feel like they are good even if I'm probably still not doing all of them right. Here's a short list:
  • I have switched to 6-Max focus from full ring
  • I adjusted my raise sizing up and then down below where it started.
  • I have changed how much I C-Bet as well as how often.
  • I have tightened my UTG and UTG+1 ranges and loosened my CO and Button ranges, as well as not completing on the big blind as much.
  • I have both started folding more often as well as value betting more often and higher and thinner on the river... yeah I fold more and bet more, not sure how I do both at the same time but it's working

That is a lot of changes. I'm trying to only implement one at a time as I play but some of them have to go in at once, like range changes hero folding more often, those were where I was losing the most money and had to be alleviated immediately.

For good things. I was paying attention today and managed to get a double up because of it. I was playing a hand and noticed that this guy donk bet into me on the flop and when I raised he shoved. I filed it away in my memory and then later when I flopped the nuts against him the same thing happened, he donk bet and I immediately got excited and gave him a normal modest raise. He shoved and I took a $5.75 pot in 2NL against his top pair decent kicker hand.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time played: 3:00

Alright, well I've managed to be sick since Friday night so haven't been able to play that much poker. I got on tonight and was feeling alright, but definitely had some problems in my game. I was prone to talking myself into a call which got me into a couple of bad situations. And all and all I ended up dropping 4 BIs tonight. (the last was a $6 pot TT vs AK vs Ak where I was one of the ones lucky enough to have 2 of my outs stolen).

I think part of my problem was that I was watching this "how to crush the micros" video series on youtube. He gave good advice, but he kept on having them show up with nothing and it started having me think that they wouldn't have the nuts as often or whatnot and that got me into some bad calls. I lost $8 tonight but I know for a fact that I could have probably kept it down to about $2-$4 had I just not been dumb. A 3 BI idiot swing is really not acceptable.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time played: 1:30

Got a little while to play tonight and it went pretty well. I got into a weird hand with JJ against a shortstacker. Here's that hand (http://www.surferspoker.com/showthre...291#post782291)

Other than that, not much happened. 1.5 hours and I ended up about a BI up. I'm at almost 6k hands now with a slight profit, so overall not too bad given some of the mistakes and such that I've made. If I can keep those to a minimum I think I can do pretty well here.

This is shorter than I normally post, but I'm still sick and laying down sounds amazing.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time played 6:10

Got a lot of playing time in today. Overall it went pretty well, there were a couple dumb things that I did, mostly in the vein of hero calling, but once I saw that's what I was doing I stopped it. It was one of those days though where it felt like I could get no action with my premium hands but everyone wanted a piece of anything mediocre I got. Then to top it off the mediocre hand would flop two pair and villain would flop a set or some such. I know it wasn't all like that, but it sure as hell felt like it. (well the 2 pair/set thing did happen but it wasn't a mediocre hand and luckily the dude was shortstacked)

I'm at roughly 7500 hands now and running at about $6 above all-in EV... I'm kinda glad to see that, but would rather see the all-in EV positive as well.

As far as things I need to work on? Well there's a lot of them I'm sure, but right now I am trying to remember to have a plan for the hand I'm on, not just play it street by street. I know I should have a plan, but I often find myself going into the turn with no clue what I want to do.

Other issues I'm having is that I have no idea how often I should be calling c-bets. I'm sure I'm being super nitty, but it just seems that if I call with anything less than what I think is likely the best hand I just end up folding on the turn so I'd rather save the 7 or so big blinds that the c-bet would cost me and try to use them in a more obviously profitable position.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time played: 4:20
Total played this Week: 12:00

Well I'm pretty well on my way to getting to my 20:00 goal for the week. I would have played more today but it was NOT going well. Started out playing 2 hours of 6 tables. I played pretty well I feel making only one really noticable mistake for 20bbs. That however didn't seem to stop me from having a run of nothing that made me end up down around 250bbs by the end of it. I came back again later and played another hour and a half and managed to run my KK into AA and then lose with my AA to K6o, both for full stacks all in preflop, despite that I only lost about 3/4 of a buy-in during that time. Then for the last session of the night I played for a while, was up about a buyin and then felt my game starting to slip so I quit while I was still ahead... for that one. I was able to stifle the bleeding somewhat and should have unlocked my next dollar of my bonus.

Other than that not much to report. I started reading Crushing the Micros and realized that from watching his videos (only guy I've seen actually playing 2NL) I was doing the right things learned from him, but in the wrong places and times. Reading the book makes it a lot clearer, I'm sure I'll go back and watch his videos again now that I see what he's talking about. (I'm talking about when I tried to mimic him a few days ago, not my play today when saying I was playing wrong, today I felt like I played pretty well all things considered).

Old 10-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time played: 6:50
Total Time (week): 18:50

Alright, so apparently I'm still in the middle of an exercise in patience because I had another one of those days. I would battle to get a little up, lose a hand I should have won and then grind it back to even to have it happen again until finally I lost two of those in a row and was down about 1.5BIs for the day. Though my all in EV was roughly even, so I guess that's something though I'm really tired of watching people make a flush when their hand is offsuit, that just stings.

So this isn't completely negative I did manage to flop quads today and get a decent amount of action off of it. I think I pulled in something like 20bbs with it which is far better than I've ever done with a monster like that before. Also I was at a table where a full house lost to a royal, that was kinda cool, not sure I've ever seen/noticed a royal at a table before.

As far as things I'm working on. Mostly today it was just trying to make sure that I played solid and didn't hero call. I think I did hero call once or twice but I'm getting better about it. The biggest problem I had with it was feeling that I was "owed" something good happening to me because of the bad beats I'd been taking and had to catch that attitude and tell myself that's stupid and shut up.

I found today that I drifted into an old habit of calling too much from the blinds and being forced to play fit or fold with some marginal hands, not exactly the best of practices.

As far as time goes I am almost at my 20 hours and still have 2 days left. (I count Sunday as the end of the week, screw calendars ) I'm pretty happy with the volume I've put in, I'm now over 10k hands. I'm not really happy with the results so far, but as I keep telling myself "10k hands isn't that much." I'm working really hard on not caring about results until I get to 100k hands, it's not easy but I'm gonna do it damn it!

Old 11-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played: 6:00
Weekly Time: 24:50

Today was a day of ups and downs. After my second 2 hour session I was up a bit over 2 buyins for the day. Then on the third session I managed to run into a set with a big hand, and be on the wrong side of a set over set as well as several other hands which overall put me about 3 BIs down, so I ended up losing on the day anyway and seriously questioning what the hell I'm doing. But that was just the grumpy me talking I think.

Overall I don't think I played that badly today. I am getting annoyed at the fact that the style I'm playing is pretty much requiring me to be the biggest pushover postflop ever. It's I raise, flop comes, I c-bet (or not) they call with what always feels like nothing, then I check the turn and have to fold to their inevitable bet. I just feel like I'm bleeding money at these people waiting to get a hand, but then I get a hand and they fold on the turn and I win very little. I think I'm going to have to rethink my strategy on double barreling against regs (who seem to be all I play against most of the time).

I also decided that since I have NO fold equity from the blinds against someone stealing that instead of flatting with hands like KQs I'm just going to start 3-betting instead. If I get 4-bet it's an easy fold and these guys will fold a lot more to 3-bets then they will to pretty much any action on the flop. If I get flatted then I will probably just play fit or fold OOP. It's a little more expensive but at least I have a lot of fold equity and a pretty good hand if they do call.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time played: 2:00
Final Weekly Time: 26:50

Firstly, I met me weekly goal of 20 hours on the week, so I'm happy about that. Secondly I managed to win a buyin or so today and I'm happy about that too. I would have been happier had I won that all in with my KK against A6o but what ya gonna do.

I wanted to get a bit more playing in today than I did but unfortunately my wife's grandmother is having some problems and so my wife is going to have to start staying with her for a while and that means that I spent most of the day over at her house helping my wife get situated and whatnot which meant I wasn't able to play almost at all today.

When I finally was able to play there wasn't a whole lot of good tables available so I decided to only play 4 tables. Also I have been losing quite a bit lately and wanted to see if playing a couple less tables would help. I don't feel like I'm rushed with 6 tables, but sometimes you don't notice when you're making mistakes at the time.

I felt like I played pretty well tonight, I didn't make any stupid hero calls. There was only one call I made that I didn't like, it was on the turn when I got raised. I had trips, so I really liked my hand and I was thinking it might just be him holding an over pair or something, but then he bet big into me on the river and I laid them down because I really feel like sets made up a whole lot more of his range than big overpairs did and I didn't think it was +EV calling at that point. So while I'm not entirely happy with that call it definitely wasn't that bad, in fact I could just be super nitty and threw away a big pot there, it probably wouldn't be the first time.

Since I didn't have time to play earlier I did have some time to go over some of my old hands. I was reading a book on micro cash games (I can't remember which one it was) but it said a way to get better at putting people on ranges is to go back through your old hands and put what you think they have in pokerstove and look at the equity that way as you replay the hand at your own leisure. I kinda like doing that since it gives me practice without any time pressure or anything and hand ranges are definitely one place that I'm lacking in skill at.

Overall I feel like my play has been pretty good lately. I ran a leakbuster check and it told me that I'm playing at a B level, which isn't bad. It pointed out a few things, some of them I've been trying to work on, others I don't entirely agree with, I think that it assumes these guys can fold more than they can.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Today: 4:00
Weekly Time Played: 4:00

Well for those of you reading this you got lucky. I was getting ready to write this big long whiny poor me story about how badly I was running and how I have been working hard to improve and I get rewarded for my hard work by running so bad, blah blah blah standard run bad whine fest. But then I decided I'd play one more hour and it managed to go pretty well and I won a little bit, took a divot out of the huge losses I'd had earlier in the night and definitely left me in a better mood.

At one point in time I was down 4 BIs in about 3 hours worth or play, standard kind of thing, every river card seemed to give the guy that was trying to give me money 2 pair or a 1 card straight. In the last hour I won back about 1.5 BIs making me no longer afraid that I was going to go bust, which is always a good thing.

Dr. J was nice enough to go over my database with me today for almost 2 hours trying to help me find leaks, and other than a couple little tiny things that might need tweaked we weren't able to find any glaring leaks, which is also always a good thing. I'm sure I'm not playing at all optimally, but it's good that there weren't any glaring errors.

Also based off of some suggestions (I think it was Spungo) and some personal observations I have been working on my double barreling more lately, and in this last hour I felt that I had my game going pretty well. I was making quite a bit of money off of 3 betting the stealer both in position and from the blinds, and was picking some really good spots to double barrel and take down pots that I am sure I would have lost in the past. Hopefully I can keep that sort of thing up and continue to improve.

As for what I'm going to continue working on, I'm still gonna work on 3-betting more from the button and my postflop play, mostly double barreling and not c-betting into the wrong opponents. I'm still going to work on not hero calling, I made a couple mistakes there today. At one point I think I was frustrated over how I was running that I felt like I was owed to take down a big pot with my overpair when I think it was pretty obvious that there wasn't much worse that he could possibly be playing that aggressively. When I saw that I did that I immediately shut down my tables and went and played my PS4 for a while.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played: 3:40
Total for week: 7:40

Well today was pretty badass. I managed to win back everything I lost yesterday and a bit more actually. I know that day to day results aren't supposed to matter, but screw that cause it was super fun winning today.

So far I've been having a lot of success in my double barreling and 3-betting more from the button. I've been taking a LOT of pots that I would have been giving up on before and I think that's been helping me greatly. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue. I've also been careful not to overvalue my overpair and TPTK type hands against the regs unless I see something to tell me that they're being overly aggressive with worse, which just tends to not be the case. I made a couple of calls today that I should have, one of them was when I first started today and somehow I didn't notice there were 3 clubs on the board, that's sad and not really acceptable, it was a 30bb mistake, so nothing to sneeze at. The other mistake call I made, well it was just a really weird spot. I flopped TPTK and a really short stack went crazy and apparently he called my preflop raise out of position with T5o which was not something I had in his range, but looking back at it I probably should have figured him for a set and folded anyway.

So I plan on not doing hero calls and continuing with my 3-betting and double barreling, still trying to find the right spots to do it, but I've felt like I've been doing MUCH better postflop the last few days than I have the whole time.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time played: 6:00
Weekly Time: 13:40

Got some pretty good time in playing today, just not the greatest results. I made one bad call for a full buyin when I had AA and villain had a set. I should have known that a single overpair wasn't going to be good there, but I overvalue aces, another thing for me to work on I guess. Other than that it was just bad luck/coolers. I mean, I lost with a straight flush to a bigger straight flush for half a buyin... luckily that's all he had or it would have been a full buyin because I don't see me EVER laying down a straight flush. That and my kings running into aces on my very last hand accounted for most of my losses so it's hard to get too mad about that.

I'm starting to wonder if some of the regs I've been playing against have picked up on my 3-betting on them light, I saw one of them 4 bet me then lay down to a shove afterwards, not sure if I'd ever seen him 4-bet light like that but I'll have to keep track of things like that now I think.

Overall I'm working on not overvaluing aces and the like and trying not to get AK all in as often preflop as I feel like against the regs I'm more likely to run into pairs where I"m a slight dog and I really want to make sure I'm getting the best of it and I'm just not seeing AQ show up all in preflop that much anymore so I'm either a dog or donating to the rake in a big chop so I'm better off playing AK postflop I think, at least against the regs, against fish it's still good.

Other than that I'm still working on my double barrel positions, I was doing pretty good at it, but today it felt like I was always picking the wrong spots. My 3-betting from the button is going pretty well as long as I keep track of who I'm doing it against I am actually making quite a bit of money doing that I think so I will definitely continue in that vein.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

time played: 5:50
time for the week: 18:30

Alright, lets just say that today was really really bad, I hate this stupid game, I have no idea why I bother investing so much of my time into something that gives me absolutely no return on the time I invest while terrible players keep making money hand over fist and then just assume that the rest of this post is completely filled with every curse word imaginable... good.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played: 6:00
Weekly Time: 24:30

Well today went better than yesterday, you can tell because I'm not saying that I'm bust, which if I had a day like yesterday then I would be. I actually managed to win about 4 BIs today, which isn't as good as the 6 I lost yesterday, but I'm happy with how today went.

After the nastiness of yesterday I did a couple things different today. Firstly I only played 4 tables, at first because I didn't have enough in my account to play 6, but then I started thinking, and while I don't feel like I"ve been hurried playing 6 tables, there is a chance that the reason I've been doing so badly is playing too many tables and I feel like I win more when playing 4 tables, so for the time being I"m going to be only playing 4 tables. Less volume but hopefully more continuing results.

Secondly I focused more on trying to get on tables with more fish. I was playing early in the afternoon which meant prime time for playing on the east coast and therefore there were plenty of tables to play on. They were all full though so I did what Nathan Williams suggests in his videos and I started my own tables and waited for the fish to show up, it worked pretty well and I found myself on tables with more fish than regs, and that's the first time that's happened in a long time.

I feel like i played well today, I"m not sure if that's because I won quite a bit (if I hadn't gotten sucked out on in 2 big pots and coolered for another I would have won more than I lost yesterday). There's also the chance that I won because I felt like I played well, but honestly it's probably results oriented. But damn it I deserve to be happy about winning, if I get to be bummed about losing (something I'm working on but terrible days make that easier said than done) then I get to be happy about winning. :P

Old 11-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Sat:2:00
Time Played Sun: 3:20
Final Time Played on Week: 30:00

Alright, well I think I pretty much crushed my 20 hour goal on the week. That's good... overall for the week as far as playing goes it ended up alright. I played 11k hands about and ended up a little less than 1 buyin down.

Today on the other hand was pretty badass. I ended up almost 3 BIs almost entirely because of 1 guy. My new best friend. He would play almost every hand and raise almost every bet. So all I had to do was get a decent hand and then either shove (he loved calling all ins) or let him bet into me and call with the best hand. I watched him play some 200 hands or so and he lost a little more than $49 in that time. I took $13 off of him myself, he alone turned what was going to be a bad losing day into a profitable one. Awesome stuff.

As far as my game goes, I'm just going to continue on with what I've been doing. Trying to find the right positions to do the right plays. Overall I feel like it's working pretty well, I think I've been playing better than I was playing before even given the results... I'm still trying really hard not to focus on results.

With that I'm almost at 25k total hands, which is one quarter the way to the first time that I'll look at results. I'm not getting hands as fast as I was before since I'm playing 4 tables instead of 6 (though winning more often because of if I feel).

Saturday was pretty much break even, I played quite a bit, ended up pretty much where I started and then got tired and went to sleep before thinking about updating this blog. Not real exciting.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played: 2:00
Weekly Time: 2:00

Alrighty, well today was a good day for poker me. I managed to play 2 hours and be up 4 BIs bringing this bankroll to it's highest point yet, which, while admittedly results based is still pretty badass and fun.

My overall play today wasn't too bad, I did get a little overzealous with a pair of nines that ended up working out for me in the long run because they held but getting in that position with 9's was a mistake in the first place. I also was about to fold AA to an unknown player on the flop but somehow managed to raise instead and ended up getting all in, I have no idea how I misclicked 2 buttons over, but I sure enough did. Then I was happy because he only had middle pair to my overpair, until the turn gave him 2 pair. Oh well.

I didn't really play that much today, it was going well and I honestly didn't much feel like playing anymore which meant that I probably wouldn't do so well and I didn't want to ruin a good thing.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played on Tues: 0:00
Time Played on Wed: 3:00

I haven't updated this in a couple of days, mostly because I didn't play at all on Tuesday and I just didn't feel like updating this yesterday because I was having fun playing Fallout 4.

Yesterday didn't go so well, it was one of those times where all of my reads were bad, I was double barreling into someone who hit top pair, everyone who decided to call me for value with a gutshot when I bet pot hit it on the river. Just standard shit like that. It started to turn around a little and I ground it back up for a while but I still lost around 3 buyins. Frustrating but not world ending.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Thur: 4:20
Time in week so far: 9:20

Well I didn't update this last night as once again I went straight from Fallout 4 to sleep with no stop at the computer in between. But in my defense, Fallout 4 is a pretty badass game.

So poker yesterday was essentially a break even day. Played 2 sessions and in both of them I started out horribly (down 2.5 BIs in each) but managed to grind it back to a slight profit on the day. I wasn't making many bad decisions, there was one hand where I played the entire thing wrong, I mean every last bet/call/whatever I did was completely wrong. Other than that I was having a really hard time with my hands holding. My All in EV was a little more than $5 more than what I ended up with and that's just the hands I went all in on.

The one good thing that happened is that even though I was raped by luck I was still able to grind it back to even both times. Which makes me feel like I am profitable at these stakes because I've pretty consistantly (lately at least) been making little bits throughout, I'm not relying on the big all in hands to make money on, which is good because there's too much variance in those and they just don't come around often enough with as tight as these players have been. It's great when a whale sits down determined to give all of his money away but most of the people I'm playing against are regs grinding out the crappiest stakes just like I am and in order to be a winning player I'm going to have to be able to beat them. They have leaks and I'm picking up on more and more of them. After all, if they weren't making mistakes they wouldn't be at 2NL very long now would they? This game is definitely beatable, it just makes me long for the old days on Pokerstars where there were more fish than you could shake a stick at.

I do feel like I am playing a lot better (at cash games) than I did 4 years ago when I played. There are more subtleties that I'm picking up on now and I'm not so interested in getting mad at them never folding as I am at trying to find ways to get in pots with them when they won't fold to my better hand. I think my tourney game is probably crap since I haven't played any of those since I started again, I still understand a lot of the concepts but that's not the same as using them. But that's okay I think I want to give cash play a go for a while anyway, it's nice to know when I sit down to play I'm not potentially forcing myself to play for the next 7 hours if things go well for me. 1 or 2 hour chunks of playing is nice and easy to fit into a busy schedule. Not that my schedule is super busy, but it will be in a few months.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:31 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played: 1:00
Total Time for Week: 10:20

I didn't get to play at all yesterday. I was planning on it but my wife was able to come home from her Grandma's for the night. (She's been taking care of her grandma 24/7 for 2 weeks) So I spent the night hanging out with her instead. Though that will definitely make it so I miss my 20 hours for the week, as I can't imagine playing for 10 hours tomorrow.

I wanted to play more tonight but all of the tables started breaking up and it was only the 6 or 7 other regs left and I really didn't feel like fighting with them over pennies. I think I can play better than almost all of them, but the winrate definitely isn't there and I was ahead and didn't want a bad beat to ruin that... and Fallout 4.

I feel like I played well tonight. No hands stuck out in my head as mistakes. There was one where I felt like I was holding on a little too tight to my hand but I had position and felt like he was only c-betting. Turned out he was, because he checked the turn, I bet at him and he folded, so I guess I was right, but I get nervous being in big pots with mediocre holdings, feels like a good way to spew money.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played: 3:00
Total for Week: 13:20

Alright, I came up short, but I knew I was going to. There are things that are more important to me than poker and my wife is definitely one of them. I am going to try and hit my mark next week and hopefully not get sidetracked by Fallout 4 quite so much.

Overall today went, well so so. I played for 2 hours where everything just seemed to go wrong. Another thing where they called me down with a crap pair just to hit 2 pair on the river repeatedly or they would just not be involved in my big hands at all. They would however call me down for every one of my c-bets and double barrels when I missed entirely. That gets expensive in a hurry.

I brought it back though in the last hour I played tonight I managed to grind it up to a profit on top of that loss from earlier, just to get a $2 lesson on hand ranges and calling when the best you expect is to chop. I had A7 board is TAXTT guy shoves on the river and I assume there's a 90% chance he's got an ace, turns out he had 9T for my entire stack. I hadn't figured him much for a T after he didn't raise on the turn... that and there was only one of the damn things left, but thinking it out calling there was never +EV and when he shoved on the river it was only 32c in the pot. I just let him have it rather than chop a 4.50 pot where they pull 30c rake. So I lose 15 to the rake or 30 to the fold and lose $2.20 when he's actually got the T. In no world do I ever profit here so it sure as hell is a good fold... Oh well, expensive lesson, but a lesson none the less.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played: 3:20
Weekly Total: 3:20

Well today went well, started out playing 2 hours and 2.5BIs up, then I played for an hour and a half and lost 50bbs. I was up 70bbs until the hand right after I decided to quit where I had QQ and on a jack high board ran into KK. I'm not sure if I played that hand right or not. It could be a cooler or it could have been a clue as to how it was played if I had been thinking a little clearer and not just thinking "I've got an overcard... weee!" He 4 bet pre which I called and then the flop comes like that and he bets it. It could be a c-bet I guess, but a lot of these guys feel afraid to c-bet 50bbs+ with nothing. I guess he COULD have had AJ but that doesn't feel like something he'd 4 bet. I guess all the signs were there I just wasn't looking for them. Maybe I'll look at the hand again tomorrow after the sting is out of it. Either way it was a 2BI day... woo! Yeah, it's results oriented, I'm human.

I should hit 30k hands tomorrow and this is the first time in a long time that I've been over all profitable for 2 days in a row, it's a good feeling.

As for my play I've been focusing on just not making mistakes. I'm trying to make sure that if it's a confusing spot and marginal EV wise that I just dump it and not make any big mistakes. There are better spots where I can be way ahead EV-wise. I don't have to take every tiny edge given to me and tempt the variance gods.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Tuesday: 2:00
Time Today: 5:30
Weekly Time: 10:20

Well today was annoying on a few levels. Firstly my HEM trial ran out, so I figured I'd use Pokertracker for a month and decide which one I wanted to get... thing is Pokertracker is kind of a douche when it comes to trials and they put a big red "Trial: Please register" over the table, which covers up where the bets come in on ACR for one of the seats. It can be moved, but then it puts itself back every 30 seconds or so, it was tilting me more than not having a HUD so I turned it off. Then later I just bought the low level version of HEM, if they're gonna be pricks about their trial then I'll buy the competition, even if it is owned by the same company.

The other reason today was annoying was the swingyness and the just run bad I was having tonight. I ended up being 2 BIs down, now I could have prevented one of those through not hero calling probably, but when it's all in AA vs TT w/ one card to come and a damn T comes losing me 1.5BIs there's not much I can do about it. That's just one hand, but there were several more examples, to the tune of me running about $4 below EV tonight.

I also had a bit of a humbling experience today when looking over the 2+2 forum. I'm pretty sure I ran into a guy who posted a hand I was in. He was talking about how he was restealing from me pretty liberally and then ended up not knowing how to get proper value for his 2 pair he ended with. If I remember that hand I had runner runnered a better 2 pair than he did, but it was still interesting to see that some of the players that I'm seeing daily are working to improve as hard as I am. I guess I kind of had a big head thinking I was the only one putting effort in, which is dumb since I have like 4k hands with some of these guys, I'm sure they're trying to get better too.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Fri: 0
Time Played Sat: 3:30 (-7.5 BIs!!!)
Time Played Sun: 0
Weekly Total: 13:30
Time Played Mon: 3:30

Alright, so as you can tell I fell a wee bit behind here. I didn't reach my 20 hour goal, which is okay. With things going on with my wife watching her grandma I knew it was going to make it harder to reach my goal. I COULD have, had I put time in on Fri and Sun but I don't remember what happened on Friday and Sunday I spent time with my wife instead, which is more important.

As you can tell I had a bit of a bad time on Saturday, I once again lost about half of my bankroll, at one point I was down to only about $10 (making me down 12.5 BIs total) yesterday and I had my entire bankroll spread across 3 tables. I actually quit playing at that point because I was uncomfortable having my entire roll out at one time, especially with 60% of it on one table. I came back later that night and won back everything I'd lost that day and a bit more for about a 50bb win yesterday, a huge relief honestly.

Going back over my hands during the ugliness I saw that while I was running bad I wasn't playing amazing either. I had a tendency to push my good hands a bit too hard, I was getting frustrated with the fact that my big hands were getting me nothing and my good hands were losing because the guy trying to donate to my bankroll that was calling me down with bottom pair would always spike a runner runner straight or flush on the river or hit two pair on the river and take a big pot that he didn't deserve. I know that is going to happen and I am okay with it, but when it happens over and over and over in a short period not even Enya can keep me calm. I need to just quit when I get to that point because pushing marginal hands to try and recoup losses just causes more losses.

In short I got away from my "Just don't flipflipflipflip up" strategy.

Yesterday evening I went back to focusing on not making mistakes and congratulating myself on good folds. Yes I tell myself "good job" when I fold top pair to a check-raise, etc. It helps to reinforce that I did the right thing by giving up the pot when I'm obviously beat, whether I had a good hand or not doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is my hand compared to theirs and if they have a one card straight my top pair top kicker isn't worth a shit anymore.

Last night I also experimented a little with semi bluffing my big draws. Two overs and a flush draw kind of hands. I mostly played around with check raising the flop. It seems that a normal bet or a raise won't get a lot of these players to fold, but they fold almost always to a check raise, but it's an expensive bluff to make and I really don't want to get caught with my pants down if I try it with air and he's flopped 2 pair or something and calls/raises me so it's good to know I have a crap ton of outs to hit if the pot gets huge. I still don't know if it's a good strategy or not against these players. I know it's not the best thing to do against the fish, but there are a LOT of regs that I'm playing against and I think that if I do that with them enough it will not only build bigger pots for me to take with the nut flush but also get them to the point where they'll call me when I check raise with a set or some other monster in the future.

I don't know, I'm thinking about making a post asking about it or put up a hand and ask for input. If you're still reading this and have a feeling on the matter feel free to drop me a line, I can use all the help I can get. And if this is a stupid case of fancy play syndrome, I definitely need to know so I can stop doing it immediately.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Tues: 5:00
Weekly Time: 8:30

Managed to put up some pretty good volume yesterday, that's always good. I also didn't lose too much, only about half a buyin. I also ran roughly 1.5 BIs below EV. Overall I feel that I played pretty well just that things weren't working, that's alright. There was one hand that I'm not a huge fan of how I played it. The guy in the big blind when I was on the button 3-Bet me 75% of the time. He also refused to fold to a 4 bet, I ended up splitting a pot with him when he went all in with 55 on a ten high flop, the dude was just weird. Anyway, I got AQ and he 4 bet me as always so I shoved on him knowing that my hand beat the crap out of his range and he called with 88 and they held. Now I know that AQ beat the hell out of his range, but I shouldn't have shoved I don't think. With the downswing I'm on keeping me down to only about 5 BIs at the time I should be avoiding high variance spots like flips like that, especially when my hand is that much better and I can outplay him post flop. Better to just call his 4 bet and then try to get it in if/when I'm ahead.

I also spent a bunch of time yesterday watching videos on Youtube. I found a new channel that has some really good poker content, so I watched that for a couple hours and then I found another video that was Fender Jaguar coaching someone. I REALLY like the way that he coaches, I found out that he's got a twitch account under Ming The Merciless 93. Unfortunately you have to be a subscriber in order to watch his old videos, so I might subscribe to him next time I get paid. I'm also thinking about getting the free week of Deuces Cracked to watch his (and other) videos on there as well. But I will wait for that until there's no holidays or anything that will take up a bunch of my time. I need to make sure that I can get as much out of that week as possible.

While watching that video he brought up an important point about bet sizing on the flop and how that can turn into a huge difference on the river. At the moment I've been just using a standard 2/3 pot size bet for my flop bets so that my c-bets can't be differentiated from my value bets. But he was talking about basing the bet sizing on whether or not you intend to double barrel. If it's a one and done kind of bet then make it smaller, if he's going to fold he's going to fold, if you've got value or it's a double barrel type board then he bets almost entirely pot to make the pot bigger. I'm a little uneasy about this strategy as it seems that after a while it would be really easy to tell what my intentions are with the hand. I'm still thinking about how much I like that, but I know that against the fish I will almost certainly do that a lot more, but against the regs I will probably just continue with my 2/3 pot or something. I honestly don't know what the best way is to do this. It seems like the best way would be to base my sizing on board texture that would have nothing to do with my hand strength, but I'll be damned if I know how to do that very well/to my advantage.

NightTrain was also nice enough to go over a hand with me and give me some new ideas on how to play spots like that. I learned a lot and really appreciate it when people are willing to take time out of their day to slum it a little bit to help me with my 2NL game.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Wed: 3:00
Time Played Thur: 5:00
Weekly Time so far: 16:00

Alright, well time-wise I'm doing pretty awesome. It's kinda hard to complain about that. As far as results go (yeah I care about results and you'll see why) they've been horrendous. At the moment my entire bankroll sits at about $3 making this a roughly $36 downswing and I'm running some 500BB below EV. It seems like nothing I have been doing has worked since I bought Holdem Manager.

And that's where I think my problem has been. I spent $60 on a poker program when my entire bankroll was only just shy of $40, I think that made me put a lot of pressure on myself and going through my hands since that day I've noticed that I have been way over playing hands trying to chase profit. It doesn't help when I watch videos online (some made 3-4 years ago on Pokerstars) where they are constantly stacking opponents with TPTK type hands, then I try to do that and they always seem to have more than that. I just need to understand that poker isn't what it used to be and playing in such a small pool against all the same people most of the time means that giant value spots don't exist as much. They're still there, there are some really bad players, but there are some pretty good ones too. I think I've done a pretty good job separating out the competition, and I know who I can get value from and who I can't most of the time. But I just haven't been able to lately. I do think I'm on a downswing, but I also think I haven't been playing that great as well, way too much fancy play and probably far too many new ideas thrown in at the same time.

So it's time to do something relatively drastic. I'm going to completely gut my game of everything that's not purely "ABC" poker. No more 3 bet resteals, definitely no more check-raise bluffs (why the hell was I doing that anyway? Maybe not many times sure, but it's way too expensive to be +EV). No real pure bluffs other than c-bets and the occasional double barrel and only double barreling against the non fishy opponents who actually know where the fold button is. I think I had a little too much success with some bad things early and it ingrained that it should work so I kept going back to a dry well and wondering why there was no water in it. I am going to confirm my identity and try to get it so that ACR will let me deposit with a credit card again, they got mad at me because my name wasn't on the card because it was my wife's card. Then I will probably deposit another $20 so I'm not working with only a buyin and a half. If I go bust before I can redeposit I might not get my 20 hours in this week, but I have good volume so far so that won't be the end of the world I guess.

So here is my action plan:
  1. Play Positionally and stick to my hand ranges that I made yesterday. -- This hasn't been a big problem for me as going through my hands I only strayed from the chart a little over 40k hands.
  2. Raise bigger UTG and smaller on the button. -- This is something that has been advocated a lot on videos and the people I've seen at tables are getting roughly the same number of folds that I am but more value with big UTG hands and less risk with button steals.
  3. C-Bet a little more selectively and with varying sizes. -- I'm C-betting roughly 73% of the time with a 43% success rate. C-betting 2/3 pot like I have been doing I am profiting that extra 3% they fold but if I can c-bet less at some pots and take that will increase my winrate.
  4. Double Barrrel -- This is going to be my main focus, along with putting players on ranges of hands. I need to work on this and find good places to do it and not the bad ones. Not sure how I'll figure it out but I plan to do more research later tonight before playing... I might not even play tonight and just study instead.
  5. NO FANCY PLAY -- This is the crux of my entire strategy. I'm going back to grass roots here and making sure that I don't do any of the following.
    • Triple Barreling
    • Check-Raise bluffing with air -- I'm going to avoid check-raise bluffing entirely but some giant draws might be worth it if I feel villain knows where the fold button is.
    • 3-Bet reStealing -- Let them have the stupid blinds I'm looking for other spots at the moment. Will add this back in at a later date.

So that's my plan. If you've seen me doing anything else that you think I need to quit (Other than posting in this blog ) please feel free to tell me and I'll add it to the list.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Friday: 4:00
Weekly Total to Date: 20:00

Well I reached my goal already, and for the first time in a few weeks. I think part of that honestly is the fact I've only been able to afford to one table which I can do for a much longer period of time with no problems. But I guess if I'm going to get any volume in while one tabling then I have to play for more time, so it works to some extent. Though I'm only getting about 90 hands an hour right now so volume has been low, but I'm doing all I can at the moment when what I have.

So yesterday was the first day of my full on "no nonsense" style of positional poker. I stripped everything from my game that I felt wasn't essential to basically start over. And I have to say that it went pretty well. I got all in on an 70/30 where the guy hit, but I was in the right spot at the right time and can't honestly complain, but it dropped my bankroll down to one buyin. I kept playing tight and positional and managed to kinda grind it out at even for a couple hours and then a fish showed up at the table I was at, shoved the first hand and my TT>K4 to double me up, then a few hands later I got all in again against another fish and managed to get a bit ahead of even for the day. After taking a beat coming out 15 or so BBs up is good.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, trying to figure out what the hell's been going on to get me to lose this much this fast, and really looking at my game an my motives as much as possible. I know that downswings happen, and while this one isn't outside the realm of possibility it's pretty damn unlikely for the win rate I was hoping to achieve. (I was aiming for 3BB/100) I think if anything I've been break even or slightly losing over these 40k hands. Maybe a slightly even win rate, but nowhere near the 3 I was hoping for.

Anyway in my soul searching I have come to realize that I've been expecting way too much of myself. In reality I've probably been playing like I'm expecting more than 100BB/100, definitely not a good way to play. I wasn't happy unless I'd won a couple dollars over a few hundred hands every time, which is surprisingly dumb. So I'm working on my mindset while I'm playing as well making sure that I'm not expecting way too much of myself.

There was one hand that I played though where I felt totally lost, it was this one here http://www.surferspoker.com/showthre...705#post782705 I ended up folding it because I ran out of time and I just couldn't figure out a good strategy for the rest of the hand. I'm working on not trying to "reassess" on every street, I don't think that's a great way to play and it's obvious that there will be betting to come on the next streets and I still wouldn't know what I would do, other than a King or a Ten I would be lost and still confused.

Also, going over my database I learned a couple of things. Firstly I've been cold calling with trash hands way too often and losing money because of it. Granted it's only 60 hands or so, but that's done now, no more doing that. Also I looked at my heads up stats, and while I thought I was doing pretty well playing heads up against the fishier players that join heads up tables, I looked and apparently I'm losing in heads up, so that's done too. I think I would be better off playing against the regs at the tables rather than playing heads up right now.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Gold Level Horse
Gold Level Staker

WSOSP Winner

Time Played Sat: 4:00
Weekly Total to date: 24:00

Alright, so I got in some more good volume. Which is always good. I would like to spend a bit more time doing hand history reviews, but at the moment I don't have any problem hands to go over and just picking them at random doesn't seem to be doing me a whole lot of good, so I really don't know which hands to be reviewing and sort of stagnate on that portion of my study because of that. I have been reading some articles and watching a few good videos from the Poker Bank on youtube. I'm working on staying on the simplest of concepts right now to keep with my KISS strategy that I'm working on.

Also, on the plus side I ran quite well today. I hit a lot of flops that I feel I've been missing lately and on the second hand of the night I got a double up which put me up to $5 and let me have enough to play 2 tables again so I did that, doubled up on another table and then lost an all in where I was a 75% favorite against a flush draw with a set. Oh well, I played it right and it will work out in the long run. Overall I had quite the good day and my bankroll is up 2BIs from yesterday sitting at roughly $7. I know I was avoiding putting dollar amounts in this blog as I want hands not money at the moment, but when it dips as low as it did then the amounts become important as well. I'm just happy to see it climbing again.

My super simple strategy is working quite well. I'm avoiding anything costly and just sticking to the most simple things there are. I'm raising for value or as a semi bluff in a few cases and not doing much more than c-betting. I haven't fired any double barrels since I started this but a good place to do so really hasn't arrived. The turn is either not a good card to c-bet on or I hit, and I'm certainly not complaining about that.

I've also been focusing on thinking about their hand ranges and thinking about whether or not worse hands will call my value bets or if I'm only getting called by better and trying to stay out of places where if they continue I'm beaten. I used to like doing that every once in a while as it's easy to play a hand postflop where you know you're crushed. If I go into it knowing that I've got to beat 2 pair it's good, but it also makes them fold the hands that are worse than mine meaning that in those hands I'm going to win a little and lose a lot, which is definitely not the best way to do it.

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker