Surfers Poker, Poker Forum

Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Forums Area > Poker Hand Analysis > Texas Holdem Cash Hands
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Staker Points: 
TPS: 
grayFalcon Poker Forum Rookie
Default Beginner's micro-stakes hand 1

Hi everyone,

I'm a total beginner, so please point out everything that looks fishy - it' definitely me being an idiot, not some brilliant strategy I'm also happy about any pointers on what to read up on to improve my game.

So, it's 0.01/0.02 NL. What went down (villian is on the button, VPIP ~25, PFR ~20):

BTN: 142 BB (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 17.78, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 45)
SB: 52.5 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 33.33, Hands: 10)
BB: 202 BB (VPIP: 27.78, PFR: 27.78, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
UTG: 125 BB (VPIP: 27.78, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
Hero (MP): 71.5 BB
CO: 45 BB (VPIP: 17.65, PFR: 5.88, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has

fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, CO calls 2 BB, BTN calls 2 BB, fold, fold

Flop: (7.5 BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

Turn: (7.5 BB, 3 players)
Hero bets 5 BB, fold, BTN raises to 15 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

River: (37.5 BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets 20 BB, Hero calls 20 BB

My reasoning was:
- Check on flop: First, I'm out of position, second, I usually raise when I hit the flop so I want to check sometimes to balance my ranges.
- Bet on turn: I have villian on something like Ax, Kx, Qx, Jx + high connectors/suits. I have all of his range beat, except AQ+KQ, so I want some value.
- Call of his raise on turn: With the raise, I think he played the flop with the same reasoning as I did and has Qx or A7/A8, and thinks I'm betting since I hit the 6. I don't put him on 9 10 or 4 5 due to his pre-flop raise.
- Check on river: The ace has hit half of the current range I see for him: All except the low Qx, so I don't want to inflate the pot.
- Call on river: Currently I think I have about 50% of his range beat, and it's 20 BB for a 57 BB pot, so... yeah.

At the end, villian turned over , which is something I never even considered remotely in his range. Should I have seen that from his line?

Surfers Poker - Featured Sites
Old 11-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Surfers Event Winner x5
Elite Supernova Staker II
Silver Supernova Horse

WSOSP Winner x3

Staker Points: 30339.75
TPS: 2710.72
Plays at : Home
Game of choice : Holdem
Fav. Online Player : Prolly VLC
Fav. Pro : Daniel Negreanu
LeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker ForumLeafsFan1122 Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

Hello, welcome to our deserted forum.

I'd recommend raising more than minimum preflop, a 3x should be sufficient.

Do not worry about balancing your ranges at microstakes. Your opponents are not paying attention to that at all. Bet for value when you have good hands and fold when you have bad hands - this advice will help you beat microstakes. Checking on this flop is fine as a way to control the pot size but I think a bet would be better as you will probably get value from stuff like QT/Q9, 8x, 7x, some straight draws, and maybe some lower pocket pairs.

As played betting the turn is good, but your sizing doesn't need to be that big. You bet around 67% on a rainbow board (albeit with some straight draws out there), 50-60% is probably sufficient.

Villain raises the turn, this might be the time to lay your hand down. I think you've mis-ranged Villain at this point.

Quote:
I have villian on something like Ax, Kx, Qx, Jx + high connectors/suits. I have all of his range beat, except AQ+KQ, so I want some value.
Keep in mind that Villain should have low connectors/suits in his range too based on his preflop line and being on the button.

Is Villain raising anything that you are beating? Seems like at worst he might have 9x for an open ended straight draw, as where straights and 2 pairs are likely to be in his range as well (not so much Qx or sets as you'd expect Villain to lead out with those on flop instead of checking back).

Villain bet again on river (quite large), you should definitely find a fold here. You're not particularly worried about the river Ace but the fact that Villain raised you on the turn and then bet big on the river means you're not going to be in good shape.

Last edited by LeafsFan1122 : 11-09-2016 at 01:45 AM.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:06 PM

Staker Points: 
TPS: 
grayFalcon Poker Forum Rookie

Hi,

thanks a lot for your analysis, this is extremely helpful!

Old 11-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Elite Supernova Staker II
Elite Supernova Horse

Surfers Event Winner x18
Sharkfin Winner x10
WSOSP Winner x2
SNG Champion

Staker Points: 21892.25
TPS: 9305.13
Plays at : pokerstars
Game of choice : strippoker
Fav. Online Player : Bluerain
Fav. Pro : Sal Marquez
jappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumjappie007 Grandmaster of the Poker Forum
Send a message via MSN to jappie007

first off I'd recommend sitting with a full stack to take full advantage of all the bad players at the 2nl tables. sitting with a 70bb stack is just leaving money out there.

I'd like you to size bigger preflop. When I cashgame I usualy make it 2.3x from early positions and raise pot from the btn and sb. That means we can open more hands from the earlier positions while keeping the pot small, and allows our steals from btn and SB to get through more often.
As it is 2nl and 2.3x is not a valid raise size you can just 3x the BB or even 4x 5x will not kill your action or help you get raped.

On the flop I dont like a check much. It's a reasonably wet board that should connect with a large part of your opponents range, which with our toppair decent kicker we should be crushing pretty often. By betting you're getting value from a lot of hands like straightdraws, low pairs and toppairs w/ a worse kicker.

As played I think I dont really like the sizing on the turn. It's too big. I'd be more comfortable just betting half pot, which also makes it easier to play when we face a raise. besides that he will also call more hands that have little equity vs our QJ with which he might decide to bluff river if we check to him.

As played I doubt I can often find a fold on the turn already, and given the A is pretty much a blank given the way the hand goes down I probably won't fold river either. It's not that I think it's bad to make an exploitable fold at these stakes, but there's just so many punters out there who go nuts with a busted straight or a worse pair that I probably cry call the river and take the bad news.
William Hill ID: JappieBuz

Old 12-29-2016, 02:24 AM
Silver Staker - Verified
Supernova Horse

Staker Points: 302.95
TPS: 1203.625
Plays at : PokerStars/FullTilt
Game of choice : NLH, PLO/PLO8
Fav. Online Player : Annette Obrestad
Fav. Pro : Annette Obrestad
Black_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of PokerBlack_mamba Godlike Genius of Poker
Send a message via AIM to Black_mamba Send a message via MSN to Black_mamba Send a message via Skype™ to Black_mamba

[quote][
Do not worry about balancing your ranges at microstakes. Your opponents are not paying attention to that at all/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure this is true anymore. Though it's 2 NL so it could be.

QJ is a decent hand to check on the flop. However, I wouldn't do it on that flop texture. A board like Q72 is where I'd check QJ.
And yeah Hero that River.( he's unlikely to call a bet. But, he may bluff

Last edited by Black_mamba : 12-29-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker