Surfers Poker, Poker Forum

Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Forums Area > Poker Strategy and Tips
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Staker Points: 22847.03
TPS: 5821.025
Fav. Online Player : I_Feel_Fine
Fav. Pro : Tony G, Sam Farha
Venice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker Forum
Default Long Term Perspective

Thought I would do a mini-article on this.

A long-term perspective is crucial for all players wishing to be successful in poker, as the game itself is quite fragile. And the faster the blinds are, the more fragile any single one game of poker is.

There are only 2 ways for a good poker player to cope with this. Firstly he avoids fast blind structures. They are ok for a little fun, but nothing more. Secondly, and most crucially, he adopts a long term perspective. He sees the bigger picture. He maximises his chances of going deep in every tournament, but he has little or no concern if he is knocked out of a tournament at any point (including just before the bubble).

For a month he may plan (for example) to play 100 tournaments. His main goal really will just be to go very deep in a very small few of these 100. Obviously if he goes deep in a lot he isnt going to complain, but this is about expectation, and about long-term perspective.

Bad beats will happen over and over again, and they will sting. And they will sting again, and again and again. And they will keep on stinging and stinging until you really fully accept a BRM lesson not to play under-rolled for the level (or just generally become philosophical about them).

If you can get a hang of this long term perspective combined with some good BRM, then you stand a much better chance of succeeding in poker (if that is your goal), or at the very least avoiding some of the frustration of the bad beat if you just play for fun.

It wont be easy to get it right, but I wish you luck in trying.
Just be nice and fold. Please. I will never ever bluff you again. Dont make me sit here for your whole time bank. Just dont. No. No. No. I cant stand it no longer. Just fold already. FOLD. FOLD. FOLD......Phewwww.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in - Mark Twain

Surfers Poker - Featured Sites
Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Surfers Event Winner x28
Elite Supernova Staker
WSOSP Winner x5
SNG Champion
Sharkfin Winner x2

Staker Points: 22183.18
TPS: 81.7
Game of choice : No Limit Holdem
RiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker ForumRiverWheel Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

Great. I'd love it if you did a weekly article on poker philosophy. I can't get enough of this stuff.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Staker Points: 
TPS: 
Plays at : Pokerstars
Game of choice : Hold 'em - no limit
Fav. Pro : Daniel Negreanu
Mr. Sanji Best Poker Forum Member Contender

Yep, yep. The ending doesn't matter if the way to it is good, or, if you played well you shouldn't worry about bad beats.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Silver Horse - Verified
Surfers Event Winner x3

Staker Points: 5.5
TPS: 36.52
Plays at : Full Tilt/Pokerstars
Game of choice : Omaha Hi/Lo
Fav. Online Player : The Omaholic
Fav. Pro : Phil Ivey
LordJenkins Best Poker Forum Member ContenderLordJenkins Best Poker Forum Member ContenderLordJenkins Best Poker Forum Member ContenderLordJenkins Best Poker Forum Member ContenderLordJenkins Best Poker Forum Member Contender

I like that very philosophical indeed and it definitely identifies some key issues in playing good poker. Like riverwheel said, I think it would be great if this became a weekly thing because everyone needs to read stuff like this to ground themselves and not to get held up in bad beats or get too big of an ego...Nice work.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Surfers Event Winner
Silver Supernova Staker
Elite Supernova Horse - Verified
Sharkfin Winner

Staker Points: 4974.33
TPS: 10415.99
Plays at : Stars, FTP, 888, Ipo
Game of choice : Omaha H/L, NLHE
Fav. Pro : Negreanu
no1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Pokerno1yidmax Godlike Genius of Poker

I really liked articles which have this kind of take on poker generally.

It's almost like, we all know enough about poker to have this string of thought, but for some reason everyone still seems to overlook things like this. However on a larger scale, as far as buidling a big BR is concerned, you must give yourself the best chance to win as much as possible, e.g. cash game players multi tabling to up $/hour made.

All in all, read it, enjoyed it, agree with the others, make it a weekly thing and keep up the good work sir.

no1yidmax

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker