Go Back   Surfers Poker - Poker Forum > Poker Forums Area > Poker Forum
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Staker Points: 22847.03
TPS: 5821.025
Fav. Online Player : I_Feel_Fine
Fav. Pro : Tony G, Sam Farha
Venice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker Forum
Default Common Tournament Mistakes

Thought I'd do a thread on Common Tournament Mistakes. Hopefully it might help. Note, this is for tournament play not cash play.

I will start off with some ...

Common Mistakes

1) Playing too loose in early stages
2) Playing too tight in latter stages
3) Calling too much, rather than picking situations where you can lead the aggression.
4) Limping for more than 10% of stack
5) Not being able to lay down a good hand when the danger signals are there. (eg AT/AJ with an EP raise before you. eg2 falling in love with your high pocket pairs. eg3 feeling you should always be seeing a flop everytime you have low pocket pairs or a low suited-ace, regardless of cost and position)
6) Not calling a bet where you have the pot odds. This doesnt have to be a draw, it can be a direct question of value bets/value calls. Eg 20,000 pot, you miss everything, and you fold to a bet of 2000 on the river. Eg2, you raise a third of your stack pre-flop and then fold to a re-raise that would put you all-in.
7) Not paying enough attention to position.
8) Betting too light on the turn when there are draws on. A pot size bet on the turn is massive +EV for you against a flush draw/open-ended str draw.
9) Betting the nuts too strong, when you could get paid off at value.
10) Being too card dependant. Waiting for cards for too long, rather than waiting for situations.
Just be nice and fold. Please. I will never ever bluff you again. Dont make me sit here for your whole time bank. Just dont. No. No. No. I cant stand it no longer. Just fold already. FOLD. FOLD. FOLD......Phewwww.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in - Mark Twain

Surfers Poker - Featured Sites
Old 04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Staker Points: 
TPS: 
Plays at : Poker Stars
Game of choice : No-limit hold-em
Fav. Online Player : shaundeeb
Fav. Pro : Phil Ivey
Kaypias Poker Forum Rookie
Thumbs up Common Mistakes

This is a Pro tip that I found from the archives on phil Iveys website. The pro is Phil gordon.
I would like to share with you surfers.

Common Mistakes
Phil Gordon
June 6, 2005

Everyone makes mistakes. The thing is, a good player will learn from them while a bad player will make the same mistake over and over again. And poker players that can exploit these mistakes will win.

Here are some of the most common mistakes that bad players make and my usual methods for exploiting them:

A player doesn't bluff enough. When these players bet or raise, I usually give them credit for a good hand. When they check, I will usually bet to try and take the pot.

A player overvalues top pair. The "average" winning hand in Hold 'em is two pair. Yet many players are willing to take tremendous risks with top pair. When I have a hand that can beat a player who overvalues his top pair, I will over-bet the pot and put them into a position to make a big mistake. I go out of my way to play small pocket pairs against these players because I know that if I flop a set, I'm likely to get paid off in a huge way.

A player under-bets the pot. It is incredibly important, especially in No Limit Hold 'em, to make bets large enough to punish opponents for their draws. When a player under-bets the pot and I have a draw, I take advantage of their mistake by just calling the small bet. When I think I have him beat, I'll make a raise.

A player calls too much. I will very rarely bluff against a "calling station." I will, however, make value bets throughout the hand.

A player tightens up under pressure. Most bad players "squeeze" too much in the middle stages of a tournament, or when they're on the bubble. They tighten up and wait for a huge hand. Against these players, I will play a lot looser, looking to steal a larger share of the blinds and antes.

A player telegraphs the strength of his hand with "tells." I am always observing these players, whether I am in the hand or not.

Playing perfect poker may be nearly impossible for most players but, by recognizing your own tendencies - and those of your opponents - you're much more likely to limit your mistakes and capitalize on the weaknesses of others at the table.

This lesson is from Phil Gordon's Little Green Book of No Limit Hold'em Simon Spotlight Entertainment, Sept 2005.

Phil Gordon

I hope this is informative for U Surfers

Old 04-16-2007, 03:43 PM

Staker Points: 9.7
TPS: 8.29
Plays at : Pokerstars
Game of choice : NLHE, PLO/8B
Fav. Pro : Phil Hellmuth
EraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member Contender

Here is a few more:
11) Not taking advantage of a tight table. If you can take the blinds/antes preflop with a moderate hand in good position, you should.
12) Getting all of your money in early with a hand like AK or 77 preflop when it can be avoided.
13) Not playing the role of big stake when you have the chips (some may disagree with this one)
14) Playing scared.
15) Playing above your means/bankroll.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Staker Points: 22847.03
TPS: 5821.025
Fav. Online Player : I_Feel_Fine
Fav. Pro : Tony G, Sam Farha
Venice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker ForumVenice Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EraseTheGrey View Post
14) Playing scared.
15) Playing above your means/bankroll.
These last 2 are extremely important. (and they are often related at higher levels). Dont contribute to the pool of dead money by sitting there too frightened to risk your neck. Pretty common in higher buy-in tourneys.
Just be nice and fold. Please. I will never ever bluff you again. Dont make me sit here for your whole time bank. Just dont. No. No. No. I cant stand it no longer. Just fold already. FOLD. FOLD. FOLD......Phewwww.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in - Mark Twain

Old 04-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Staker Points: 9.7
TPS: 8.29
Plays at : Pokerstars
Game of choice : NLHE, PLO/8B
Fav. Pro : Phil Hellmuth
EraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member ContenderEraseTheGrey Best Poker Forum Member Contender

Having another minute free to think I have come up with a few more.

16) Not being aware and watching betting patterns. These can tell you a lot about the strength and weakness of one's hand because a lot of people will bet like amounts with similar strong and weak hands.
17) Not giving a person enough credit and giving someone too much credit. If you are at a table with a rock who has played two hands the whole tournament and showed AA and KK, do you really think you should call their all in with A10os? What about the person who raises everytime you are in the blinds regardless of their position. They can not have a good hand everytime, for this I would open up my playing selection a little bit more.
18) Just because you raised preflop with a hand like AK, this does not mean YOU HAVE TO bet the flop when it comes 36J and you have two other people in the pot. What about that person who called your raise with AJ or 33? You are going to lose when they hit. Although sometimes it is good to bet postflop to see where you are.
19) Not giving yourself the credit you deserve. It is best if you have a positive outlook when playing. Being and staying positive is +EV in my book.
20) Going on tilt. Just because your aces got cracked by QJos does not mean you have to play stupid. Just calm down, take a breather and do what makes you feel better. Remember, stay positive!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 AM
Banned

Staker Points: 6.6
TPS: 1.42
jimmyjoe Poker Forum Rookie

these two stick out the most

) Playing too loose in early stages
2) Playing too tight in latter stages

i see people always calling early then playing way too tight late. These are the 2 most common mistakes that players have to take advantage of. You can usally double off a guy who calls a lot early then you sit back and just chip away at him all game.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Moderator & Staking Manager
Surfers Event Winner x14
Silver Supernova Staker - Verified
WSOSP Winner x2
Sharkfin Winner x2

Staker Points: 1771.78
TPS: 7.535
Plays at : Carbon Poker
Game of choice : NL hold em
Fav. Pro : Daniel Negreanu
tramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forumtramp1579 Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

When you have an overaggressive player at the table that you're sure has flat stolen several hands by overbetting. I believe some players put too much thought in too taking him out and loose sight of alot of other things going on at the table. You have to remember that everyone else is trying to get your chips too.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Surfers Event Winner x3
Silver Supernova Staker
WSOSP Winner

Staker Points: 4518.88
TPS: 0
Plays at : PokerStars
Game of choice : Sit 'n Go
Fav. Online Player : spacegravy
Fav. Pro : Dani Stern
DutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker ForumDutchMart Grandmaster of the Poker Forum

Good tips, but isn't the problem in playing loose in the start that there are just a lot of "golddiggers" in such tournaments??

Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Staker Points: 
TPS: 
mrnutz Poker Forum Rookie

i agree very good tips

Poker Forum | Poker Staking

Poker Site Reviews
Titan Poker Pokerstars William Hill Bodog Carbon Poker Ladbrokes Party PokerCake Poker