Mike Matusow Biography

Mike "The Mouth" Matusow was born on April 30th, 1968, in Los Angeles California. Most, if not all, of the people who know him, recognize him for his most distinguished characteristic his mouth. Mike was never afraid to speak his mind even as a youngster. He would stand up to anyone who got in his way. This sometimes made him come home battered and bruised from scuffles with neighborhood kids. Growing up Mike always had a competitive nature in everything her did. His many hobbies included building race cars, shooting pool, or bowling. He often bowled a 290 or more and once bowled a perfect 300 game. At the beginning of the 90's he had found a new area to vent his competitiveness - poker.

He started out as a dealer at a local casino dealing poker. Once he started playing, he was not winning much but he did have love for the game. He spent his time dealing studying the game and the many strategies that the players used. He was often staked by a seasoned player and won. But poor bankroll tactics put him back on the bottom. Soon enough he decided to enter in his first tournament. Although it was a small one, he promptly won it.

The Mouth continued to enter into these small tournaments until he had built his bankroll to a hefty amount. With this confidence he decided to move up the ladder and play at higher stakes. He began cashing in games all around Vegas especially Omaha 8/Better. He quickly excelled and even to this day he is considered one of the best Omaha 8/Better players in the world.

After half a decade he chose to play in his first WSOP tournament in Omaha 8/Better of course. He came second to none other than Scotty Nyguen. A few years later he had won his first WSOP bracelet in No Limit Hold'em. In 2001 he had made his first Main Event final table and finished in sixth. Mike had hit the high life. He had money and respect of every poker player. Unfortunately his life took a rapid spiral downward.

Mike was always a party animal and the constant drinking and drug use took a toll on him. He would spend $10,000 just on parties for one weekend. Then in 2004, his life had hit rock bottom. He was sentenced to 6 months in jail for cocaine possession. Once he got out the only way was up and Mike was determined to change his life around.

Just 3 months after his release his determination paid off. He had finished ninth in the 2005 Main Event for a cool one million dollars. With this feat he also became the second person to reach the Main Event final table with 600 or more entrants. Right after the M.E. he played in the 2005 Tournament of Champions. No one could stop Mike, not even Hoyt Corkins who finished second to him. Mike took down another million in his very emotional win. After that, he did get his life back on track. To this day he continues to play some of the best poker in his life. Although his mouth does overshadow his play, he is still one of the most respected poker players in the world. Love him or hate him, you have to admire what Mike has gone through and where he is now.